May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. Mac B.

BELLA JONES,

If they commit the smallest misdemeanor then the police is required by law to check their ID and if they can prove citizenship then they will be imprisoned for 6 months and then deported. The color of their skin doesn't matter. The law applies to everyone. So, homeless people caught loitering or sleeping on a park bench that can not show positive ID will be imprisoned and deported.

WHICH LEADS TO QUESTION # 2:

Dear ARIZONIANS, do you understand that when the illegal immigrant is imprisoned for (up to) 6 months YOU will pay for that bill? So, if you want that tomato-picking job, go ahead, you can have it but you've also got to pay for Juan to go to prison for 6 months.

May 13, 2010 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mac B.

ooops, I meant to say IF THEY CAN'T PROVE...

May 13, 2010 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bella Jones

TO MAC, Not true that the law applies to everyone, Is Skin color , don't lie to your self is racist,

May 13, 2010 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bella Jones

I been for 80 years in this amazing country. I saw many problems because of race.

May 13, 2010 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. David

As a us citizen I can prove my status any time I'm asked, because I mus cary ID at all times. If a policeman stops a car and the driver doesn't speak english and has no license or ID, then what is he supposed to do, send him on his way. No he should be taken into custody and given to ICE. It's time that all states as well as the federal government start enforcing the law. What part of illegal alien don't people get.

May 13, 2010 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. dean

To Jennifer, white american, Please take in 15 or 20 illegals into your household. Feed and cloth them and pay their medical bills. I will pat you on the back and tell you that I really appreciate your kindness.Thanks for putting poor unfortunate illegals ahead of your own family.

May 13, 2010 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ryan

How come its called racism in this situation but if i as a white american wish to travel to Mexico they can pull me over because im white, not to mention if i was an illegal immigrant there they dont set me up in a nice hotel and send me home, they lock me up for 10 years.

May 13, 2010 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. Gabriel

So the Californians are prepared to violate peoples freedom of movement and association to protest against laws in another state that are no different from elsewhere, and haven't even come into force yet?

May 13, 2010 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Roberto

Pass this law in all 50 States. Deport all criminals and the money we save from having to support them through the Justice system, Social Security and Medicaid and Supplemental Income Plans or also called EBT debit cards that are issued to 99% of these immigrants. We can use all this saved money to create new jobs for American families who are hurting just as much these days. I am not against sharing the wealth but I am against draining the system and preventing the wealth. I hope all other states implement this law as well.

May 13, 2010 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bobby

I am all for immigration reform, but this is the wrong way to go about it. Despite what anybody says, there is no way this law will not lead to legalized discrimination and racial profiling.

As in any socio-economic group, there will be degenerate individuals who break the law and commit crimes. The argument that illegals are here "illegally" is not enough, in my opinion, to say because of that fact alone they should be sent back to Mexico or wherever it is they came from. I know quite A LOT of people (I live in Orange County, California), who are here illegally. They are not breaking any other laws, are productive members of society, speak English well, and are simply looking for a better life for themselves or their family. Granted, it breaks my heart when I OCCASIONALLY hear a story about how someone who is not a citizen takes advantage of the system, but I definitely hear about a thousand times the amount of incidents where legal, naturalized, and yes, often white, individuals commit HEINOUS crimes, both white collar and cold blooded. Bernie Madoff, anyone? Alcala? Jim Baker? All those handsome, white, male serial killers? Dahmer, Manson, Bundy, Gacey? American as apple pie.

Yes, immigration reform for the COUNTRY, soon...but not like this. It is wrong and unfair, and despite what haters of this post will say, I bet it will be repealed by the end of 2010.

May 13, 2010 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bobby

I should say, "I bet SB1070 will be repealed by the end of 2010." Kind of sounded like I said my post would be repealed.

May 13, 2010 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
    • tuna74

CNN Please post:
      Did you all hear there's a new high tech Green card & ID..Simiular to our American passport but more sophisticated.It even has a radio frequency identification chip built in with all the individule's data that can be checked in second's by law enforcement.Holographic photo & finger print,Tamper proof.
      do a search check it out,It's made to eliminate the fakes sold on the streets of California.

May 18, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. ignorantAZ

that state is terrible!!!
    we should all boycott AZ... the state is part of the US and the values of the US!!!
    THANKS CALIFORNIA..... I WIL NOT VISIT OR DO BUSINESS WITH AZ~~~

May 13, 2010 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  13. Cory

RE: Post #27

Thanks for the list of Arizona companies, Bob. I know exactly who to boycott now, 🙂

May 13, 2010 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

"If "Mexican-looking" people must carry papers, ALL whites should,too. Only fair!
    Posted by: sjb"

May 13, 2010 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

"Sounds good. I am white and everyday I carry my driver's license (and previously my military ID and dogtags), my university ID, my insurance ID, etc. When I travel overseas I ALWAYS carry my "papers" ie my passport with me. So yes, everybody should carry ID confirming who they are. In addition, I have my birth certificate safe at home if I ever needed to prove my citizenship beyond what my current ID can do.This isn't about racism. This is about controlling illegal immigration. If you are a U.S. citizen should you not want to make sure people who are not citizens gain access to the U.S. in a legal manner?"
      -----------–

First of all it's easy for you to say this because you are not in their position. What if you were in their shoes? would you not try to cross the border just so you can have a better life. Try to find a job and provide for your family? you don't know what people go through to cross the border and what's their reasons to do it. The fact that you are trying really hard to make your point across is just an excusible. Sure you have to have your driver's license (just incase) and state Id and other things, but sometimes it's not useful AT ALL!. if these people want to check who and who's legal or not. Well we might aswell put a freakin sign in our forheads saying "Hey I'm legal", but if they claim this isn't targeting Latinos/Latinas then will see what racial profiling really is.

May 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. d-rad

I want to say something but don't know what.

May 13, 2010 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |