May 13th, 2010

Making a mountain to stop the oil

See this island? It wasn't here yesterday.

The Louisiana National Guard poured in tons of sand and rock to fill a 700 foot gap in a barrier island to stop the oil from reaching the estuaries.

The gap was the result of hurricane damage in Elmer's Island, just across the bridge from Grand Isle.

Filled in, the island will now be a part of the last line of defense in Louisiana's scramble to protect it's ecologically sensitive coast. The area is also an important breeding ground for shrimp.

"It's ecologically and economically very important to the local community," Lt. Kyle Galloway told CNN.

1. Bell

Check out popular science or any deep water records. They have gone deeper. I have no idea why they aren't using it. Maybe the oil will cause issues with the machiner in the sub.

May 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Juan Rivas

If the divice/chamber lowered earlier is having problems with feezing cristals, why not pump ambient warm water from the surface inside the divice/chamber to balance temperatures. DOn't have to re-envnet the wheel, just adjust as you go!!!

Juan

May 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brent

My idea is to make up a panel of idiots, and have them come up with a solution. That panel would start with several people on here leaving idiotic comments.

Do you think they aren't trying to come up with a solution, seriously? Do you think that the experts haven't thought of the bomb theory? Maybe it hasn't been done because it won't work, or could cause an even bigger disaster.

Lighting the oil on fire as it comes out of the ground, that's just stupid.

Have you seen the video of the oil gushing out? Plugging it doesn't look simple.

I don't have the answer, but I don't run my mouth on here with moronic ideas either.

And why are some people blaming Bush/Palin? Really? Are you guys that ignorant?

May 13, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gaetano marano

@Ghostdancer
    the number of pipes, tanks and oxygen needed must be calculated by BP engineers, not me
    however...
    do YOU have a BETTER solution???
    do YOU have a BETTER solution???
    do YOU have a BETTER solution???
    do YOU have a BETTER solution???
    do YOU have a BETTER solution???

May 13, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. TERPDiva01

I love how they do this for all of this oil but they damn well those Levees wouldnt work and Katrina showed them excatly what happens when your dont want to fix something. Why does BP just shut the well down witha grenade. They will have to drill again anyways.

May 13, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cork It!

3 simple words to stop the oil leak....

World's Largest Cork!

May 13, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gassy

Elite, will you marry me?
    Just kidding, I'm already married.

May 13, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. steve

@MCW....

Hurricanes have been known to transport fish 100's of miles inland. So why would it not be feasible for it to carry oil, which is already on the surface of the ocean?

It's a real concern in my opinion. (Somewhat educated)

May 13, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chris

still trying to figure out why Bush and Palin should be arrested...

May 13, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MCW

gaetano, are you one of those guys that thinks if you yell a little louder we might listen to you?

May 13, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bell

Why not post ideas, it's not hurting anyone.

Personally I'd like to see them post the details of this online so people could actually make serious comments and come up with real ideas, You know someone could figure out something. Sometimes the brightest overlook the simple ideas....

May 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Aaron

Is it not the consensus that the world will end on 12/21/2012? Why is everyone so bent out of shape about this with that foresight. I mean, everyone should pollute and destroy everything and go out with a BANG.

Of course I am talking nonsense. We should all feel violated by the carelessness that brought this upon one of our national treasures.

Since I am not a specialist in this line of work I will not comment on what should or should not be done to plug the leaks. I just have a hard time understanding why this sort of disaster was never planned for. With all at risk, I would think that drillers would have some sort of back up plan beyond the shut off valve that malfunctioned. So sad. So sad.

May 13, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gaetano marano

@MCW
    my last comment was directed to Ghostdancer only

May 13, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. steve

@Terp..

a grenade? Really?

oi vey

May 13, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John E. American

LOL, yes BP has said they will pay to clean it up, but don't you think that they offer that because they know they will recoup those lost funds? Really? When we lose money on something, don't we try to figure out a way to recoup it in another way? I'm just surprised this hasn't been spun into an "oil emergency" making the prices skyrocket when your beloved Bush was in office, pandering to his oil buddies.

May 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |