Arizona ethnic studies - Fresh on the heels of a new immigration law that has led to calls to boycott her state, Arizona's governor has signed a bill banning ethnic studies classes that "promote resentment" of other racial groups. Gov. Jan Brewer approved the measure without public statement Tuesday, according to state legislative records. The new law forbids elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people." The author of the Arizona law and a state representative who voted against the bill talk to CNN about its impact.
Lettuce recall - An outbreak of food-borne illness related to romaine lettuce has spread to Tennessee in addition to New York, Ohio and Michigan, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says. The number of confirmed illnesses has risen from 19 to 23 in an outbreak linked to romaine lettuce from a single processing facility, the CDC says.
Gulf oil spill - The "top-hat" oil containment device has reached the sea floor and should be in position over the wellhead and operational by the end of the week, BP said. Efforts to try and stop the underwater oil gusher continue Thursday, a day after President Obama announced more funding for cleanup efforts. Our reporters will be taking a look at what options BP may have if the "top hat" fails and at what industry experts say about how the company has handled the disaster.
Obama on Main Street - President Obama travels to Buffalo, New York, on Thursday as part of his continuing "White House to Main Street" tour. He is to make remarksÂ at a town hall meeting scheduled to begin at 1:50 p.m. ET.
iPad and sleep - Some sleep researchers suggest that reading for long periodsÂ before bedtime on a glowing LED screen -Â such as an iPhone, iPad or a laptop -Â could keep people awake. Is this true? And which electronic devices are the most and least sleep-inducing? CNN's John Sutter reports.
The only reason California doesn't like it, is beacuse they'd be out of workers.
The girl in the photo with a sign thats says "I'm Mexican and I'm not running". Whats her point?
Why does this keep coming back as a problem for "legal immigrants". I have heard no one, but a few trolls and smarta$$es, say anything about "legal immigrants" going home.
If you are from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Germany, Spain, Africa or anywhere else and you are here on legal status I got one thing to say. WELCOME.
If you are here illegally, GET OUT. Or better yet, see what you have to do to become of legal status.
Its not that hard to figure out.
Americans, regardless of what nationality they are, work hard and pay taxes. Those taxes need to go to help other Americans in time of need. Not to support illegals that pay NO taxes and don't contribute the American way of life.
if you go to ANY other country, if you think they are going to coddle and give you your dirver's test in englsh,"You go now." that's what you'l get. besideswhen you go to another to live don't you want to learn their language and customes to fit in and become part of their life style. you obviously can retain your beliefsculture but you are now one of their nationalized citizens. if you don't likeit get out.
Obviously you're not well traveled. The majority of European countries require you to learn alternate languages in school, mainly English.
I wonder how many of the protesters understand what and who was being "taught"? That AZ is part of Mexico? That all Mexicans in the US are being mistreated. That communist ideals are being drove into these kids. That only Mexicans can attend? That the school are full of illegals that I AM PAYING FOR? If you don't live in AZ, shut your pie holes.
Not the communist word again! You can't listen to everything the Tea Party feeds you Bob!
Be smart and make an intelligent comment before you post.
Are you a Christian? If so, you will get your reward in heaven for all the taxes you pay for illegals. This world doesn't matter as much as the next one.
You conservatives throw around the word "communist" similar to a valley girl repeating the word "like" five times in a sentence. No concept of like, proper usage.
"Like barrack Obama and like those Mexicans are such like communists, OMG!!!"
Haha, Obama's aunt must totally be stoked with the running water and microwaves in the White House.
Subject: PRO-ACTIVE OIL SPILL CONTINGENCY PLAN, Dated: 10 May, 2010
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: Hereâ€™s a contingency plan that has patented technology and a process that really works.
1. We found a pre-processed material and developed an action plan that would have extracted up to 95% of the oil spill contaminants from seeded surface waters of the Gulf of Mexico, before it hit land fall.
2. Our product is a, â€śModified Oil Spill Environmental Spongeâ€ť dubbed M.O.S.E.S., it is a ÂĽâ€ť to Â˝â€ť product that can be used to absorb oil contaminants from both â€śfresh water and salt waterâ€ť surface oil spills. Our tests have concluded that one ton of product will absorb 125 gallons of oil in less than one hour. Simply put it will absorb approximately one half of its weight in oil. M.O.S.E.S. collects/absorbs oil not water. After saturation M.O.S.E.S. will only contain about 1.4% water. It creates no added impact on marine life or the environment. It also poses no threat to other kinds of wildlife including humans. A fifteen minute test will prove this process works.
3. Our plan is full circle and includes staging, seeding, re-claiming and re-processing all of the contaminated oilâ€™s and seed materials back into re-usable fuels and commodities.
4. Due to the urgencies to reduce the impact on the environment and the magnitude of this spill, our plan required partnering with the Coast Guard and other organizations that were already being used to provide staging, seeding and reclaim operations.
5. Seeding operations were to be handled in essentially the same way they were being done, with minor and/or no modifications to airborne or aquatic equipment that would handle spreading ÂĽâ€ť to Â˝â€ť particulates.
6. Re-claim operations required the same booms, scoops, pumps and barge operations, that were being used.
7. Re-processing operations proposed a permanent emissions free plant for processing oil, sand and other like materials into re-usable fuels and commodities. The plant would take approximately ninety to one hundred and fifty days to construct and would become a permanent part of a states fast action response to future oil spills.
8. Our plan would have first, assisted with the on-going damage control operations in the gulf; second, it could have been put into operation within seven days; third, it would have become a $30,000,000.00 per year financial benefit to the communities that embraced staging and plant processing operations.
9. This plan will greatly reduced the time and costs associated with this kind of oil spill in the future. We are confident that this type of pro-active plan would become a template for other high risk (oceanic) areas.
So, why was this plan given no consideration at all? It is not a question of if another spill will happen, but when! The only excuses we have been able to come up with that, we are sure you are going to here are, as follows:
a. BP, News Networks and Government Agencies didnâ€™t have the time to consider a pro-active long term plan?
b. We were crack pots when, this technology is patented and the product could be tested in fifteen minutes?
c. BP has it under control as, they have done this before? Yes and, crazy is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results! We need to get past these smoke screens and prepare for future spills.
Thank you for your time and consideration. Weâ€™d love to receive some constructive input from anyone who is listening.
Craig N. Barthelmas, Verizon Cell:  682-1428, E-Mail: GE1RE22@aol.com
CC: BP., CNN, FOX NEWS, NOAA, Governors of: AL., FL., LA., MS., And TX.
ATTENTION!! The PRO-ACTIVE OIL SPILL CONTINGENCY PLAN listed above will not plug oil leaks but, it will address five major problems; two of witch, are concerns that have not been addressed in the media or in the government.
1. It truly is a LONG TERM-CONTINGENCY PLAN. It will help the community rebuild revenues while providing a fast action operational plan for future oil spills. Yes! Future oil spills will surely occur, despite future prevention efforts!
2. This plan is full circle and would included staging, seeding, re-claiming and re-processing all of the contaminated oilâ€™s, oil filled sands and seed materials back into re-usable fuels and commodities.
3. It creates no added impact on marine life or the environment. It also poses no threat to humans and/or other forms of wildlife. Oil, feed stock and sand processing are near emissions free processes.
4. It will generate $30,000,000.00 worth of new revenues for the communities that embrace staging and plant processing operations. The plant would remain in full operation after the clean-up is done.
5. It will also add about forty new jobs to the community. This is not only a plan to help with short term clean upâ€™s, it will also have a positive long term and lasting effect on the community as well.
We all know that BP has been feeding us misinformation and then trying to mobilize volunteers to help minimize their cost. Yes! We sent BP and other agencies this plan. Operations of this nature have a price tag associated with them and so, it would appear that they have no wish to spend anything on spills they canâ€™t control or that wonâ€™t go back into their pockets. The OMRS-100 technology is patented and, M.O.S.E.S. (The oil absorbent) can be tested in less than fifteen minutes!
As always our government is seeking a short term quickie (political talk) so we can get a long term scr**ing! Has anyone mentioned where they (BP) plan to put and/or dispose of all of that contaminated; oil, sand and material? We are pretty sure that without intervention it will be in somebodyâ€™s back yard, neatly hidden from sight, killing something else. Donâ€™t you think that any oil spill plan should at least consider: Prevention, Mobilization, Extraction and Disposal Operations?
Thank you for your time. We would love to receive some constructive input from anyone who is as concerned as we are.
Craig N. Barthelmas, Verizon Cell:  682-1428, E-Mail: GE1RE22@aol.com
So you europeans descent do not want us to know our history and yet you expect me to learn on how you landed on plymouth rock. (I hope you brought your papers with you)
( Mexican we got problems )
It all comes down to dollars and cents. We can't continue to support an unlimited amount of people regardless of where they come from. I am all for a melting pot but what a mess it will make when it overflows. Oh yeah, it already has.
lets all go live in Mexico illegally, and get a job ...hey it is easy, you will be welcomed,nobody will ask you for a fm3 permit to work in Mexico... and all the signs are in spanish and english, and you can get public assistance there too....lets all go ..or at least 8 to 11 million of us ..and oh yeah , lets march in the streets and demand more help and acceptance ..lets demand that they teach American history in the free public schools...lets all marry Mexicans and see how happy their family is to accept us...lets all talk about how Mexico started a war that they lost and how we should have kept all the territory that was won by the blood of the American soldier, and how Mexico is really just occupied America...sounds good?...lets do it
I vote for the hard working immigrants over the scads of young people , homeless and welfare parents anyday, By the way i am not mexican, hispanic or latino. I just think that immigrants make more contributions than many native born.
I think its racist to have these groups, and you call us racist, and tell us we are segragating. look at you fools! you are doing it yourself! and you treat our country like toilet paper, they make no legal contribution this isnt a country you can just crash in, rake up a whole bunch of debt and then run back to your country. I love how these people comment about hard working, when they themselves are most likely on welfare. immigration is a strain on our economy, you think sending money they make here down to mexico doesnt effect us? not to mention the drugs that are being smuggled in,o but its ok poor immigrants!!!! lets let them just run all over us and take our stuff, and spray paint it and tear it apart. like our country doesnt have enough problems with idiots like you.
I have thought about this issue many times and I believe anyone who choses to come to the U.S.A should come here correctly, learn to speak english and become a viable citizen the right way. The U.S.A cannot afford to take care of all of the illegals from any country. Many Hispanics are draining our U.S. economy with their health needs, non pmt of taxes, food stamps, etc. Many work w/o valid Social Security numbers, sharing the same ssn between 4 or 5 different people in different states moving periodically w/o paying any Federal or State taxes. I know because I worked for the Gov. I am not a racist. I am a Black woman w/ a Hispanic son in law, I have a neice that married a Hispanic & I love both of them dearly. But this immigration problem has got to be resolved & our Government has allowed it to escalate to a level that is unhealty because now the problem is out of control in many states. The White people of America are slowly becomming the minority race. As a Black woman who's grandparents were brought here by force from Africa and mixed with the true Americans, the indians, it is going to be interesting to see what happens next. I will stay tuned for more from some of our disfuntional leaders. I believe American greed has played a major role with this issue because every one wants cheap laborers.