May 13th, 2010

Thursday's intriguing people

Ed Reyes

The Los Angeles, California, City Council on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status. The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

According to The Los Angeles Times, during their debate on the resolution, council members compared Arizona's legislative behavior to Nazi Germany and the beginning of the Holocaust, as well as the internment and deportation of Japanese-Americans during World War II.

"Los Angeles is the second-largest city in this country, an immigrant city, an international city. It needs to have its voice heard," said Councilman Reyes, a resolution sponsor. "As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer who's having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be ... deported, no questions asked. That is not American."

CNN This Just In: Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

Los Angeles Times: L.A. council bans most official travel to Arizona

John Legend

The singer-songwriter-pianist is helping to raise funds for Gulf Coast fishing families and environmentalists facing the challenges of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Legend and many other top artists will perform May 14–16 at the Hangout Beach Music and Arts Festival in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Along with Legend will be such performers as Zac Brown Band, Alison Krauss, The Black Crowes, and Jakob Dylan.

Legend, the winner of six Grammy awards, is also scheduled to appear at the Gulf Aid benefit concert in New Orleans, Louisiana, on Sunday.

Hangout Festival website

John Legend website

Robert MacLean

An administrative judge has ruled that the Transportation Security Administration was within its rights when it fired the federal air marshal for leaking sensitive information to the media.

MacLean was fired in 2006, two years after he told an MSNBC reporter that the agency planned to remove air marshals from flights that required costly overnight hotels. The disclosure embarrassed the agency, coming only days after the government had sent out a warning about planned terror attacks on U.S. aircraft.

MacLean said he will appeal the administrative judge's decision and that he hopes for a suspension, not termination, as the appropriate punishment for his actions. He told CNN in 2009 that he never had to make an arrest in five years flying missions as an air marshal.

"It was a well-paying job with enormous responsibility, yet extremely tedious and mundane," he said. "You did the same thing every day, there was nothing new. You sat in your seat and prayed that nobody would set off an IED or ambush you mid-flight."

CNN This Just In: Judge upholds firing of federal air marshal

Maryam Ali

The 16-year-old sophomore at West Potomac High School in Alexandria, Virginia, wants to race with her school's crew team.

In a moving Washington Post profile, reporter Annie Gowen describes the challenges facing Ali - asthma, overweight, lives in subsidized housing - and how tough it was to pay for her $260 uniform and the team's $750 fees. And because she's not strong enough to row with others, her coach found her a separate boat to practice in.

Ali, who is African-American in a sport dominated by white competitive rowers, told the newspaper that her goal is to get in a race before the end of the season.

"I just want to do the best I can ... and be an important part of the team," she said.

Washington Post: Rower confronts class barriers with spot on crew team

Piers Sellers

The British-born NASA astronaut is taking a small piece of Sir Isaac Newton's famous apple tree into space on Friday on his trip to the International Space Station.

According to the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, the mathematician and physicist saw an apple fall in his orchard at some time during 1665 or 1666. Newton then hypothesized that the same gravitational force that made the apple fall also governed the motion of the moon.

London's Guardian newspaper reports that Sellers, who has dual UK-U.S. citizenship, said he will let the slice from Newton's tree float around in the Atlantis shuttle.

"While it's up there, it will be experiencing no gravity, so if it had an apple on it, the apple wouldn't fall. ... Sir Isaac would have loved to see this, assuming he wasn't spacesick, as it would have proved his first law of motion to be correct."

The Guardian: Isaac Newton's apple tree to experience zero gravity

Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences: Newton's life

1. TY

Hey, what about those all those illegal Canadians taking all the acting jobs from us real Americans, we need to something about that too! Show me your papers Hollywood…

May 13, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. David B (Denver, CO)

Arizona, thank you for taking a stand and enforcing Federal law. I have to take a business trip next week to the L.A. area, but have made my itinerary so that I do not fly into LAX, rent a vehicle from LAX or stay in a L.A. hotel and I will not eat in any L.A. restaurants. Boycotts work both ways.

We should have a Federal law that if a city / state passes a law (or resolution) to directly and negatively affect the economy of another state, that city / state will lose any Federal funding it receives.

May 13, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. John

What a shame that Lex Luther wasn't successful in establishing the new west coast!

Hope they can deport you; your choice China, Iran or maybe the Gaza.

May 13, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jose

Is LA also going to Boycott the US Federal Law as well? The Arizona law mirrors it. So Ed.....go ahead and boycott the US and let another country take you over.

May 13, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. Lisa Lisa

I'd like to see who voted in favor of this boycott. Then we can make sure to VOTE THEM OUT, next LA Council election....

May 13, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Reagan fan

Shwartzenegger is a Republican married to the queen of liberals, he takes his orders from her or she cuts him off in the bedroom, wanna bet? He's bending over for all the Hollywierd types. I'm sure it won't be long before Susan Sarandon opens up her trap on this.

May 13, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. phil

What part of ILLEGAL do these people not get? They don't have ANY solution to the problem except to say "bring in more" Illegal immigration is unfair to every single person here legally in the US. I guess these so-called
    "enlightentend liberals" are truly the party of no. No border protection, No laws for illegal immigration, no limits on spending, no limits on taxation, no to America.

May 13, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. Andrzej

Arizona did nothing wrong. This is a federal law, which for whatever reason is not enforced be feds. As far as Nazis, I would like to ask Californian morons as to what do they know about it. It sounds to me that they have heard the term but no clue as to what this really means. I come from the country that was occupied by Nazis and my family had direct experience with them, so please talk about things that you know and not about things you heard. And by the way who is paying for the welfare benefits for illegal aliens ???

May 13, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. VP

Hello AZPD, I will start a list of houses with possible illegals around my block, let me know when you are ready and I encourage all USA citizens to do the same, a word for the illegals: GET OUT asap or we will get you

May 13, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. kingtrick

This is awesome, L.A. is arguably the most likely major city that will likely be bankrupt in two years. Get off your high and mighty horse and settle your own problems before you whine about ours. Suns in six.

May 13, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Imran

Ok, lets ask this question from the real native Americans. Oh no, they do not exist, almost all of them were annihilated or marginalized by the illegal immigrants from Europe. Just like the Aborgines of Australia, just like most of the animal poplulation in the world. And how come Mexicans are illegal in Arizona, California, Texas, New Mexica, and Colorado weren't these states part of the Mexico and taken by the so-called new Native Ameircans. The new generation of Mexicans is just coming back to the land of their ancestors.
    If US really wants to fix the issue of illegals then why not give them work permits. We want them to do lowly jobs and not recognize their contribution. I do not see any other race working in service industry jobs or per say tough jobs besides Hispanics. We blame every minority for something or the other. Blame muslims for terrorism ( dont destroy their contries and terrorism will stop), blame black for crime( give them the same opportunity as the caucasians). Even the white police officer who shoots himself blames his crime on African Americans. When will the racism against races who do not have pale skin subside in this country?

May 13, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bunny

Hooray for Arizona for trying to uphold the federal laws. If LA is so against what they are doing, they need to put out the Welcome Mat for all illegals in Arizona. Go to LA and let them support you. We don't want you in our state either. If you want to live in the U.S. do the legal thing and become a citizen. Pay your taxes like the rest of us and I don't care where you live. As long as you are here legally. Most of the illegals don't contribute much to our society anyways. Most of them send their money home to their families. What good does that do us. Most of them are paid in cash too so they don't pay taxes. THe real citizens of the US pay for them. And I'm tired of it. I work hard for my money, contribute to my community, pay my taxes, and take care of my family. I sure don't want to take care of a bunch of illegals. Send them all to California. I laughed when I read that they won't pay Arizona anything. Hell, California is broke so this is a joke.

May 13, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Aaron

WOW L.A. has some real losesr runining the show their. Glad I don't live there anymore. Voting to hurt legal citiznes in favor of illegals is just wrong.

May 13, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. Aaron

WOW L.A. has some real losers runining the show their. Glad I don't live there anymore. Voting to hurt legal citiznes in favor of illegals is just wrong.

May 13, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. MarcR

Sign me up to boycott any state that refuses to uphold the laws and borders of this country. Their allegence doesnt lie with the USA and its citizens but pandering to illegal foreigners.

May 13, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |