May 13th, 2010

Thursday's intriguing people

Ed Reyes

The Los Angeles, California, City Council on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status. The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

According to The Los Angeles Times, during their debate on the resolution, council members compared Arizona's legislative behavior to Nazi Germany and the beginning of the Holocaust, as well as the internment and deportation of Japanese-Americans during World War II.

"Los Angeles is the second-largest city in this country, an immigrant city, an international city. It needs to have its voice heard," said Councilman Reyes, a resolution sponsor. "As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer who's having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be ... deported, no questions asked. That is not American."

CNN This Just In: Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

Los Angeles Times: L.A. council bans most official travel to Arizona

John Legend

The singer-songwriter-pianist is helping to raise funds for Gulf Coast fishing families and environmentalists facing the challenges of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Legend and many other top artists will perform May 14–16 at the Hangout Beach Music and Arts Festival in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Along with Legend will be such performers as Zac Brown Band, Alison Krauss, The Black Crowes, and Jakob Dylan.

Legend, the winner of six Grammy awards, is also scheduled to appear at the Gulf Aid benefit concert in New Orleans, Louisiana, on Sunday.

Hangout Festival website

John Legend website

Robert MacLean

An administrative judge has ruled that the Transportation Security Administration was within its rights when it fired the federal air marshal for leaking sensitive information to the media.

MacLean was fired in 2006, two years after he told an MSNBC reporter that the agency planned to remove air marshals from flights that required costly overnight hotels. The disclosure embarrassed the agency, coming only days after the government had sent out a warning about planned terror attacks on U.S. aircraft.

MacLean said he will appeal the administrative judge's decision and that he hopes for a suspension, not termination, as the appropriate punishment for his actions. He told CNN in 2009 that he never had to make an arrest in five years flying missions as an air marshal.

"It was a well-paying job with enormous responsibility, yet extremely tedious and mundane," he said. "You did the same thing every day, there was nothing new. You sat in your seat and prayed that nobody would set off an IED or ambush you mid-flight."

CNN This Just In: Judge upholds firing of federal air marshal

Maryam Ali

The 16-year-old sophomore at West Potomac High School in Alexandria, Virginia, wants to race with her school's crew team.

In a moving Washington Post profile, reporter Annie Gowen describes the challenges facing Ali - asthma, overweight, lives in subsidized housing - and how tough it was to pay for her $260 uniform and the team's $750 fees. And because she's not strong enough to row with others, her coach found her a separate boat to practice in.

Ali, who is African-American in a sport dominated by white competitive rowers, told the newspaper that her goal is to get in a race before the end of the season.

"I just want to do the best I can ... and be an important part of the team," she said.

Washington Post: Rower confronts class barriers with spot on crew team

Piers Sellers

The British-born NASA astronaut is taking a small piece of Sir Isaac Newton's famous apple tree into space on Friday on his trip to the International Space Station.

According to the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, the mathematician and physicist saw an apple fall in his orchard at some time during 1665 or 1666. Newton then hypothesized that the same gravitational force that made the apple fall also governed the motion of the moon.

London's Guardian newspaper reports that Sellers, who has dual UK-U.S. citizenship, said he will let the slice from Newton's tree float around in the Atlantis shuttle.

"While it's up there, it will be experiencing no gravity, so if it had an apple on it, the apple wouldn't fall. ... Sir Isaac would have loved to see this, assuming he wasn't spacesick, as it would have proved his first law of motion to be correct."

The Guardian: Isaac Newton's apple tree to experience zero gravity

Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences: Newton's life

1. leavelaw

They set such a fine example (considering the dilapidated condition their state is in.)

May 13, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jon

Go Arizona... the law makes sense and LA is just pushing it's own agenda.

May 13, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DW

F*&k all you tree hugging liberal a** Californians! If all of your illegal buddies
    paid taxes and went through the correct process as an immigrant we would not
    need to pass laws of this nature. But your supporting the very reason we had to.
    Dumb A** DUMB A** DUMB A**

May 13, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. GoAZ

To Jerry's comment earlier – I too have traveled my adult life. What countries have YOU visited?!?!? I travel back and forth to Europe every 6 weeks and can tell you don't travel there very much. If you've ever checked into a hotel you are ALWAYS asked for your passport – then your information gets sent to the nearest police station/local govt office. they ALWAYS know where you are, and you're ALWAYS asked for it. I've also been asked for my docs (I'm blonde, blue-eyed). Did not resent that one bit – I'm a model visitor. I also agree with other commments here regarding immigration – illegals don't show respect for our laws by sneaking in the back door. We're giving them a lot more respect than they deserve.

May 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeremy Diaz

Boycott ARIZONA .... FU&&%*N RACIST people there don;t want to give a chance to some of the people that are trying to better their life just like your grandparents or great grandparents this land was MEXICO way before you guys were born

May 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JV

Since Mr. Reyes doesn't think American laws should be enforced,I think I'll boycott anything from L.A.

May 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Whale

Let me get this right!! You mean to tell me that LA is boycotting AZ because Arizona has stated in Law what is Federal Law already?? If you enter this country Illegally you are an Illegal Alien not (as so many want you to believe) an Immigrant. Real Immigrants are processed through the Front door and are admitted into this country by the Federal Government and are processed legally and therefore gain the rights and privileges of all American Citizens. For clarification if you are pulled over by a federal officer or a local officer and cannot produce the proper identification that you are here legally then you are in fact here illegally You must not pass go and collect your $200. You must be returned to your place of origin and start over and gain access to “OUR” country through the front door like “OUR” forefathers did. Most of the “Immigrants” in this country were processed through Ellis Island and with pride many of us can trace our heritage to the individual that was processed through Ellis Island. I am and American my families place of Origin was Scotland. The difference is simple I am and “American” not a “Scottish—American but an American!!! If you want to be an “American” COME THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR!

May 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jabs

I'm Boycotting all California goods!!!!!

May 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TJ

There used to be a popular bumper sticker in Phoenix in the mid 1980s that said: "We don't care how you did it in L.A.!" Looks like some things are still the same in the Valley of the Sun.

May 13, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sherry Spence

I am embarrassed by the Government that runs the State of California and the City of Los Angeles.
    What do they not understand about the word "Illegal" and why would these governments not support the Federal Laws pertaining to Illegal immigration as well as support Arizona in it's efforts to enforce these same laws.
    Why? voting blocks.
    If the economy was better, I would move to Arizona and join the fight that the good people of Arizona are fighting and that is to enforce the laws of this Great Country.
    GO ARIZONA and SHAME on you Los Angeles and California, plus if the Lakers would like to support a boycott to Arizona – I say boycott Laker games.

May 13, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. The Dark Lord Approach

If only American White Trash could work half as hard a Mexican we would have never gotten here to begin with. It is because of lazy white trash that led to the influx of Mexican labor...now you want them gone? They make hella good food and their chics are muy caliente!!!!!

Peace my Mexican Bros (I am white by the way), remember those that speak the most hate are the most scared, unhappy, and miserable people.

Do not hate me cause what these idiots say!!! I love Mexicans! Never done a thing to me except maybe give me heartburn!!! I think we could actually learn a lot of valuable lessons about family, work, and even religion from our friends from the South.

Why so much absolute HATE? You people are really just filled with anger and hate. Hope if helps you from blowing your head off by venting on CNN!!! Jeesh.

May 13, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lakers Fan

I HOPE the SUNS LOSE ..... kickk their A** LAKERS go LAKERS!!!

May 13, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ladydane H

Protesters claim illegals can't afford to come here legally. Yet they can afford to pay a coyote over $2,500 to be smuggled into the US illegally? The so called "mayor" of LA said he can't go to AZ without a passport and could be detained and deported without question? He is either illiterate and can't comprehend the English language that states a "LEGAL STATE ISSUED DRIVERS LICENSE IS PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP". He's a mayor without any ID? Second, saying that, he passed a boycott bill on the premise of a LIE. LA also has the same law saying police can detain and deport if illegal status is determined. Difference is, LA and CA do NOT enforce the law. Instead, they harbor and abet CRIMINALS. Talk about jumping into the fire!

May 13, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sherry Spence

Why? voting blocks.
    In fact I say Boycott California, maybe when there is no work here, the illegals here will leave willingly.

May 13, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |