May 13th, 2010

Thursday's intriguing people

Ed Reyes

The Los Angeles, California, City Council on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status. The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

According to The Los Angeles Times, during their debate on the resolution, council members compared Arizona's legislative behavior to Nazi Germany and the beginning of the Holocaust, as well as the internment and deportation of Japanese-Americans during World War II.

"Los Angeles is the second-largest city in this country, an immigrant city, an international city. It needs to have its voice heard," said Councilman Reyes, a resolution sponsor. "As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer who's having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be ... deported, no questions asked. That is not American."

CNN This Just In: Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

Los Angeles Times: L.A. council bans most official travel to Arizona

John Legend

The singer-songwriter-pianist is helping to raise funds for Gulf Coast fishing families and environmentalists facing the challenges of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Legend and many other top artists will perform May 14–16 at the Hangout Beach Music and Arts Festival in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Along with Legend will be such performers as Zac Brown Band, Alison Krauss, The Black Crowes, and Jakob Dylan.

Legend, the winner of six Grammy awards, is also scheduled to appear at the Gulf Aid benefit concert in New Orleans, Louisiana, on Sunday.

Hangout Festival website

John Legend website

Robert MacLean

An administrative judge has ruled that the Transportation Security Administration was within its rights when it fired the federal air marshal for leaking sensitive information to the media.

MacLean was fired in 2006, two years after he told an MSNBC reporter that the agency planned to remove air marshals from flights that required costly overnight hotels. The disclosure embarrassed the agency, coming only days after the government had sent out a warning about planned terror attacks on U.S. aircraft.

MacLean said he will appeal the administrative judge's decision and that he hopes for a suspension, not termination, as the appropriate punishment for his actions. He told CNN in 2009 that he never had to make an arrest in five years flying missions as an air marshal.

"It was a well-paying job with enormous responsibility, yet extremely tedious and mundane," he said. "You did the same thing every day, there was nothing new. You sat in your seat and prayed that nobody would set off an IED or ambush you mid-flight."

CNN This Just In: Judge upholds firing of federal air marshal

Maryam Ali

The 16-year-old sophomore at West Potomac High School in Alexandria, Virginia, wants to race with her school's crew team.

In a moving Washington Post profile, reporter Annie Gowen describes the challenges facing Ali - asthma, overweight, lives in subsidized housing - and how tough it was to pay for her $260 uniform and the team's $750 fees. And because she's not strong enough to row with others, her coach found her a separate boat to practice in.

Ali, who is African-American in a sport dominated by white competitive rowers, told the newspaper that her goal is to get in a race before the end of the season.

"I just want to do the best I can ... and be an important part of the team," she said.

Washington Post: Rower confronts class barriers with spot on crew team

Piers Sellers

The British-born NASA astronaut is taking a small piece of Sir Isaac Newton's famous apple tree into space on Friday on his trip to the International Space Station.

According to the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, the mathematician and physicist saw an apple fall in his orchard at some time during 1665 or 1666. Newton then hypothesized that the same gravitational force that made the apple fall also governed the motion of the moon.

London's Guardian newspaper reports that Sellers, who has dual UK-U.S. citizenship, said he will let the slice from Newton's tree float around in the Atlantis shuttle.

"While it's up there, it will be experiencing no gravity, so if it had an apple on it, the apple wouldn't fall. ... Sir Isaac would have loved to see this, assuming he wasn't spacesick, as it would have proved his first law of motion to be correct."

The Guardian: Isaac Newton's apple tree to experience zero gravity

Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences: Newton's life

1. morpwrscotty

Wow so L.A. wants to boycott Arizona Bussiness. I figure that would be the last thing they would do considering that city and State are in so much fincial trouble. That's right I forgot they just go and for a bailout from Mr. Oboma and the Democratic Senate and Congress.

May 13, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. B-Bo

THEN BRING YOUR PASSPORT TO ARIZONA REYES. GOOD FOR YOU ARIZONA. I'M PROUD OF THE STEPS YOU HAVE TAKEN !

May 13, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. California Mike

I do not understand why these people cannot use the front door to our country. It's not like we turn people down that want to work and contribute to society. Do these people realize that we are trying to keep the Cartel and other terrorists out of our country? Don't take it so personal Mexicans, its not all about you.

May 13, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. dtboy

Hmmmm... boycott American businesses in support of illegals immigration? Wow!

May 13, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. LAsucks

LA sucks and the real America sees this and laughs at you!What a bunch of losers,like Biden,every time you open your mouth something stupid comes out.You have enough on your plate with your broke economy and your over priced everything.Keep all the illegals you want,but no sharing please.

May 13, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. shadi

you are bunch of racist people...have you forgot where you all came from? have you forgot that you all are immigrant..have you forgot that the only natives are the indians...you came here for a better life and you are no different that those latinos that are looking for a better job too...have you forgot who build your homes and backyards...? have you forgot who build your walls around your house or have you forgot who cleaned your houses? it is the latinos and without us amerrica stops

May 13, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ben

The illegals in LA have been given so much political power that they now influence the entire government there. Arizona is trying to give it's legal citizens a voice and enforce a law that the federal government refuses to enforce, before it becomes just like LA.

A Boycott is a toothless tactic that almost always backfires (remember the Whole Food's boycott by all those upset that the CEO was against the health care bill...yeah, Whole Foods just turned in record profits after that "boycott").

Most of us are behind you, AZ, keep it up. You're a model for the nation.

May 13, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. jmack

Americans in all 50 states should boycott Los Angeles. Boycott all products manufactured in Los Angeles. Boycott travel, restaurants, hotels, sports teams, theaters, vendors of any and all types. Boycotts work both ways.

May 13, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. dan b

Boycott California. I just cancelled my trip to LA. gonna go to the Grand Canyon instead.

May 13, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. fishfry001

shadi – you REALLY need to watch this: youtube.com/watch?v=S_ylVIcoWRo

May 13, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Edward

I live in Southern California ... I'm boycotting L.A.

May 13, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. Arizona Mike

No problem here with keeping the Lost Angeles crime, weirdos and celebrities in that rat-hole. The AZ government did the right thing. We'll make up for it with other business.

May 13, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. Kate

I'm sorry but being an American is talking English, being proud of this country and following it's laws. I see these illegals coming to the US and already they broke a law, which shows the ignorance of these people. They are telling us they don't care about our laws, they will continue to do what they want. I'm proud of Arizona. I will take my vacation there this year. If I'm asked for an ID I will be proud to show mine.

May 13, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. DYLANSDADDY

All states should pass the same bill, even the northern ones. United we stand divided we fall.

May 13, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. B-Bo

To Shadi... I built my house... I landscaped my yard... I till my garden. My great grandparents came over her ' the correct way' and got their VISA's. I have no problem with any PERSON of this world living in my country legally. Racist means (for me) I thikn the white people of this world are superior. NOT TRUE. we are all equals here. BOTTOM LINE – If you don't have a green card... GET OUT... My house will still stand just fine !

May 13, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |