May 13th, 2010

Thursday's intriguing people

Ed Reyes

The Los Angeles, California, City Council on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status. The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

According to The Los Angeles Times, during their debate on the resolution, council members compared Arizona's legislative behavior to Nazi Germany and the beginning of the Holocaust, as well as the internment and deportation of Japanese-Americans during World War II.

"Los Angeles is the second-largest city in this country, an immigrant city, an international city. It needs to have its voice heard," said Councilman Reyes, a resolution sponsor. "As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer who's having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be ... deported, no questions asked. That is not American."

CNN This Just In: Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

Los Angeles Times: L.A. council bans most official travel to Arizona

John Legend

The singer-songwriter-pianist is helping to raise funds for Gulf Coast fishing families and environmentalists facing the challenges of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Legend and many other top artists will perform May 14–16 at the Hangout Beach Music and Arts Festival in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Along with Legend will be such performers as Zac Brown Band, Alison Krauss, The Black Crowes, and Jakob Dylan.

Legend, the winner of six Grammy awards, is also scheduled to appear at the Gulf Aid benefit concert in New Orleans, Louisiana, on Sunday.

Hangout Festival website

John Legend website

Robert MacLean

An administrative judge has ruled that the Transportation Security Administration was within its rights when it fired the federal air marshal for leaking sensitive information to the media.

MacLean was fired in 2006, two years after he told an MSNBC reporter that the agency planned to remove air marshals from flights that required costly overnight hotels. The disclosure embarrassed the agency, coming only days after the government had sent out a warning about planned terror attacks on U.S. aircraft.

MacLean said he will appeal the administrative judge's decision and that he hopes for a suspension, not termination, as the appropriate punishment for his actions. He told CNN in 2009 that he never had to make an arrest in five years flying missions as an air marshal.

"It was a well-paying job with enormous responsibility, yet extremely tedious and mundane," he said. "You did the same thing every day, there was nothing new. You sat in your seat and prayed that nobody would set off an IED or ambush you mid-flight."

CNN This Just In: Judge upholds firing of federal air marshal

Maryam Ali

The 16-year-old sophomore at West Potomac High School in Alexandria, Virginia, wants to race with her school's crew team.

In a moving Washington Post profile, reporter Annie Gowen describes the challenges facing Ali - asthma, overweight, lives in subsidized housing - and how tough it was to pay for her $260 uniform and the team's $750 fees. And because she's not strong enough to row with others, her coach found her a separate boat to practice in.

Ali, who is African-American in a sport dominated by white competitive rowers, told the newspaper that her goal is to get in a race before the end of the season.

"I just want to do the best I can ... and be an important part of the team," she said.

Washington Post: Rower confronts class barriers with spot on crew team

Piers Sellers

The British-born NASA astronaut is taking a small piece of Sir Isaac Newton's famous apple tree into space on Friday on his trip to the International Space Station.

According to the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, the mathematician and physicist saw an apple fall in his orchard at some time during 1665 or 1666. Newton then hypothesized that the same gravitational force that made the apple fall also governed the motion of the moon.

London's Guardian newspaper reports that Sellers, who has dual UK-U.S. citizenship, said he will let the slice from Newton's tree float around in the Atlantis shuttle.

"While it's up there, it will be experiencing no gravity, so if it had an apple on it, the apple wouldn't fall. ... Sir Isaac would have loved to see this, assuming he wasn't spacesick, as it would have proved his first law of motion to be correct."

The Guardian: Isaac Newton's apple tree to experience zero gravity

Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences: Newton's life

1. workingman

YK,

Been to LA many times. One of the dirtiest places I have ever seen. Lived in Ca for 15 years. Will never live there again.

May 13, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Slappa Da Bass

A key problem I have with Americans is that they hate way too much. It doesn't even matter to some people if a Latino man or woman is LEGAL, they still hate them.

May 13, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. From California

I myself am a Californian and I have to say that I am TRULY disgusted with Los Angeles. This is a city in which a majority of ILLEGALS from Mexico go to call home or rather casa.

For Los Angeles City Council to boycott business in Arizona seems a little ridiculous. It seems they would rather put AMERICAN business out of business in the hopes of helping ILLEGAL immigrants? How does this even begin to make sense?

Los Angeles City Council members also gave heartfelt speeches about how their families are immigrants. I wonder if they simply forgot to mention the world ILLEGAL before mentioning their families were illegal before they were born as Anchor Babies themselves. Interesting if you ask me.

I will boycott LA due to the mere fact that just like San Francisco it is a haven for Illegal's.

May 13, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bushpig61

Arizona governor Jan Brewer said, "I find it really interesting that we have people out there that are attempting to boycott in favor of illegal actions in Arizona. To me that is just unbelievable."

Jan Brewer for PRESIDENT in 2012! This woman would WIN if she ran, and wouldn't have to spend a dime campaigning. Okay, maybe a little bit.

May 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The Dark Lord Approach

I do not think the answer is to panic. This problem is old and only getting mainstream play because a non-caucasion has entered the white house and made you all lose your friggin minds in fear!

BREATHE MEGGIE>>>>>BREATHE!!!!

May 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. fishfry001

Wow Zeno, what GREAT post! I am very proud to call you a countryman and fellow American.
    Every Illegal Alien sympathizer needs to see this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=S_ylVIcoWRo

May 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bud J

Heheh, go aheaqd and boycott AZ...you'll be shafting those illegals in the process, too.

By then, you'll need a Passport to buy food! In AZ, I would support that law, too.

May 13, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MomP

When you visit outside of the country we have to have our passport, and you keep it with you at all times proving you are there legally..If you are here and have the correct paperwork to back up being here legally you have nothing to fear...all those that are afraid of these laws are just throwing up the red flags that they are illigals. Personally I'm thinking an AZ vacation is in order to support them!

May 13, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. The Dark Lord Approach

THe Mexicans are coming The Mexicans are coming....MAN...LOL...you guys need help with your hate. At the end of the day the solution is for us not to hate everyone and figure out a rationale way to keep those in this country paying taxes, working ,raising afamily.

I think making the laws of those who get caught stiffer vs. just sending them back home WOULD BE A BIG FIRST STEP.

May 13, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tom

My GrandFather was born in Texas, my Mother was born in Texas but after my Grandfather passed away at an early age she moved out of the Country. I was born in another Country therefore not an American. I had to get a job, get a H1B, get a greencard. Even though my parent was 100% American I had to immigrate and I did not mind. I do not think that people should just assume it's ok to break the laws of the Country and live here illegal draining the infastructure and not be paying for the lifestyle. Yes, great they want a better life in the US, but does that mean they should be given it for free when everyone else has to pay? I love Mexican people, but with the good come the bad and the US is already in trouble with gangs, murder, drugs. Look at the killing spree in Mexico, are these the same type of people you want here? Mexico people should stand up for thier rights for a better life in Mexico, create better products that the US will buy and create a better economy. Not flee to the US and live poor here.

May 13, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. John

Rocco they have to make this stuff up or else their arguements fall apart and of course the old faithful the race card.

May 13, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Todd

Ed Reyes your an ass!

May 13, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. The Dark Lord Approach

crossing the border..I meant to say...you can try to cross and all they do is send you back..I think they should track your name, etc. If you try it again...it is jail time!!!! People will quit trying once a few guys get caught. Oh..the beauty of simplified law!!

May 13, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jake

California and it's leadership is a cancer on the nation. I urge all Americans to jump up and down and maybe an earthquake will finally rid the nation of this diseased state.

May 13, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. The Dark Lord Approach

Gangs Murder Drugs...DUDE THAT IS WHITE TRASH AS WELL

WHere can I ship the WHITE PEOPLE I HATE??!?!?!?!? Be careful what you wish for Whity.

May 13, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |