May 13th, 2010

Thursday's intriguing people

Ed Reyes

The Los Angeles, California, City Council on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status. The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

According to The Los Angeles Times, during their debate on the resolution, council members compared Arizona's legislative behavior to Nazi Germany and the beginning of the Holocaust, as well as the internment and deportation of Japanese-Americans during World War II.

"Los Angeles is the second-largest city in this country, an immigrant city, an international city. It needs to have its voice heard," said Councilman Reyes, a resolution sponsor. "As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer who's having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be ... deported, no questions asked. That is not American."

CNN This Just In: Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

Los Angeles Times: L.A. council bans most official travel to Arizona

John Legend

The singer-songwriter-pianist is helping to raise funds for Gulf Coast fishing families and environmentalists facing the challenges of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Legend and many other top artists will perform May 14–16 at the Hangout Beach Music and Arts Festival in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Along with Legend will be such performers as Zac Brown Band, Alison Krauss, The Black Crowes, and Jakob Dylan.

Legend, the winner of six Grammy awards, is also scheduled to appear at the Gulf Aid benefit concert in New Orleans, Louisiana, on Sunday.

Hangout Festival website

John Legend website

Robert MacLean

An administrative judge has ruled that the Transportation Security Administration was within its rights when it fired the federal air marshal for leaking sensitive information to the media.

MacLean was fired in 2006, two years after he told an MSNBC reporter that the agency planned to remove air marshals from flights that required costly overnight hotels. The disclosure embarrassed the agency, coming only days after the government had sent out a warning about planned terror attacks on U.S. aircraft.

MacLean said he will appeal the administrative judge's decision and that he hopes for a suspension, not termination, as the appropriate punishment for his actions. He told CNN in 2009 that he never had to make an arrest in five years flying missions as an air marshal.

"It was a well-paying job with enormous responsibility, yet extremely tedious and mundane," he said. "You did the same thing every day, there was nothing new. You sat in your seat and prayed that nobody would set off an IED or ambush you mid-flight."

CNN This Just In: Judge upholds firing of federal air marshal

Maryam Ali

The 16-year-old sophomore at West Potomac High School in Alexandria, Virginia, wants to race with her school's crew team.

In a moving Washington Post profile, reporter Annie Gowen describes the challenges facing Ali - asthma, overweight, lives in subsidized housing - and how tough it was to pay for her $260 uniform and the team's $750 fees. And because she's not strong enough to row with others, her coach found her a separate boat to practice in.

Ali, who is African-American in a sport dominated by white competitive rowers, told the newspaper that her goal is to get in a race before the end of the season.

"I just want to do the best I can ... and be an important part of the team," she said.

Washington Post: Rower confronts class barriers with spot on crew team

Piers Sellers

The British-born NASA astronaut is taking a small piece of Sir Isaac Newton's famous apple tree into space on Friday on his trip to the International Space Station.

According to the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, the mathematician and physicist saw an apple fall in his orchard at some time during 1665 or 1666. Newton then hypothesized that the same gravitational force that made the apple fall also governed the motion of the moon.

London's Guardian newspaper reports that Sellers, who has dual UK-U.S. citizenship, said he will let the slice from Newton's tree float around in the Atlantis shuttle.

"While it's up there, it will be experiencing no gravity, so if it had an apple on it, the apple wouldn't fall. ... Sir Isaac would have loved to see this, assuming he wasn't spacesick, as it would have proved his first law of motion to be correct."

The Guardian: Isaac Newton's apple tree to experience zero gravity

Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences: Newton's life

1. The Dark Lord Approach

Ohh...another one..

Jake urges...who are you again Jake...LOL..Jake urges us guys...I think we should do it.

So on the count of 3 lets all jump up and down and cause an earthquake ...cause that makes sense Jake.

Ok..1...2....HAVE FUN CALI.

May 13, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jake

Ed Reyes and the Mayor adn city council have unwittingly agreed to sign the death warrant to thousands of jobs in Arizona; jobs filled by law abiding latinos.

Their motto is:

Let's not prevent crime – Let's make more criminals

May 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. spellchecker

Don't you just love reading comments of these people who, although they have the solutions of illegal immigration figured ALL OUT, cannot seem to spell even the most basic of words (Hire Illegal Immigrants vs. "higher" illegal immigrants, lol....).

Or how about those who cant distinguish the differences between Their, There, and They're? More geniuses. Yet they expect that their opinion will garner some kind of respect from those of us who actually know the difference.

I am on the side of AZ, but these fools, no matter whose side they are on, should go back to grammar school, especially the ones who have a hard time with their English – WHILE THEY talk about how the illegal immigrants needs to learn English. Lead by example and go brush up on your own.

And by the way – to some of you who apparently do not know something so basic....Illegals can't vote. So the politicians aren't taking positions for the illegals to get THEIR votes. They have other distorted reasons, but certainly not that one.

And no one gets deported if they are legal. That's a ridiculous statement.

Look, I am a white guy, mid 30's, brown hair. In Washington DC. And let me tell you something – if there was an epidemic happening where banks were being robbed by groups fitting the description of white, mid 30's with brown hair, and I am rolling through town, I would EXPECT and UNDERSTAND why any police officer might question me, even if I hadn't done anything else wrong to warrant his attention. It's common sense. Take away the common sense of profiling, and we have just receded back about 1500 years in law enforcement and basic investigation.

So since I wouldn't have done anything illegally, I would be fine. If I was one of those bank robbers, I would be highly nervous and upset about the stopping me based on my profile.

And forget LA. It's as if they don't realize that the majority of their most wanted list in Los Angeles for violent crimes are those of suspects fugitives who are known to be here illegally. It's not wonder they are still WANTED and not captured. I guess since they don't use the basic techniques on how to narrow down who and where they are, they must wait and hope they come knocking on the local precinct doors to turn themselves in.

May 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bud J

If you are illegal, pack your bags NOW. Every other country makes no apologies for the rules of citizenship.

God, this is so obvious.

May 13, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dan

Pfft, California can go suck one. California is one of the most violent states in the country. Lots of the violence is due to the drug cartels. This would only help California. Oh, well. California is a big stinking pile of cow excrement.

May 13, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JUST ME

Hey Dark Horse L.A. would like you to be their guest for about a year.... take your papers with you too. Since you are so protective of the illegals that live there, maybe you could be their spokesperson. Oh maybe even their legal advisor... your free ticket is waiting at the bus station for you.

May 13, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tom

Councilman Reyes, where will you be deported to after all the paperwork is processed and they find you were born in the US? Please answer this?

This should be a clear indication that this person in power is one of the stupidest people in America. This person needs to ve fired ASAP.

May 13, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Doug

LA matters why? Saying LA boycotts Arizona is like saying a movie star endorsed a candidate for office. IT MEANS NOTHING!

May 13, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sn13/longhairedfreakyperson

John you are wrong about me...I am not making it a race issue. The rest of them are. I believe we do need to do something about Illegal people in our country. Yes secure our borders & beaches! Mexicans are not the only ones in the welfare lines wasting our tax money! Our own people, able americans that are just plain lazy are in those lines too. It is really sad what I am reading here. Racist people are evil period. They too are a gang...kkk anyone!

As for Nikki Sixx, if you are the real Nikki, please make yourself clear.

Peace to you all! May God bless

May 13, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. The Dark Lord Approach

Thanks for proving my point "JUST ME"

Where did I say anywhere that this was not a problem or AZ was doing the wrong thing...PSYCHO!!!!!

May 13, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. The Dark Lord Approach

I said we should have tougher laws to those being caught passing and I was asked to get my papers and live in Mexico for a year. YOU ARE NUTS DUDE. How do you guys not see how irrationale you have become listening to Beck, Rush, Fox, etc.

You are just little angry psychos without any original thought. JUST ME...how about you take a gun and do us all a favor and your family and end your own miserable life because you only make people angry. THey would be happy without you!!

May 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Justbhappy

I don't believe in boycotting AZ because I want to see the G-Canyon this summer. So, let's just get rid of Russell Pearce and throw his racist ass in the ocean. He's just a stupid neoNazi who has divided this country.

May 13, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dan

I think common sense just went down the drain. If you illegally come into this country. Its time to ship you back to were you came from!

May 13, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mike

As an Arizonan, I am used to being embarrassed by the Republicans of my state (remember when the late Evan Mecham was Governor...oh what fun we did have!), but please remember that we, the people of Arizona, did not vote for this bill (not yet a law), but it was pushed through and approved by our Republican led State Senate and our Republican Governor Jan Brewer, the former Sec'y of State who replaced Democrat Janet Napolitano, when she became Secretary of the Dept. of Homeland Security. It is most definitely a flawed bill. However, it WAS ALREADY A FEDERAL LAW that it is a crime to be in the United States ILLEGALLY...a law that CA shares but apparently does not wish to enforce. Int his new bill, Police CANNOT just stop anyone on our streets and demand "their papers," despite what Shakira says. Despite what bandwagon complainer Al Sharpton says. Despite what Letterman and Leno and Stewart and Colbert have ALL gotten WRONG. Only in the investigation of a crime will police be able to ask for proof of legal status. This is usually ascertained by pulling out your AZ issued driver's license, which you need to be carrying when driving anyway, and something I carry in my wallet which I keep with me even when I'm not driving. But for CA, whose economy has been devastated by having to foot the bill for these ILLEGALS, to formally boycott our state? Well, I will no longer be attending San Diego Comic Con, Wondercon in San Francisco, or going to Disneyland, SeaWorld, Legoland, Universal Studios Hollywood or The San Diego Zoo. I will also boycott any sports team that comes to our state, including the Lakers, and ALL of those baseball teams that come to town for Spring Training every year. I also agree that any state who plans to boycott Arizona does not deserve to the benefits derived from our state, including the diverted runoff from the Colorado River. Let their orchards and plants and fruits and vegetables wither and die on the vine. Hey California, you want "Civil War II"? I'm your huckleberry.

May 13, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John

sn13/longhairedfreakyperson, it is not about Mexican. It is about people the majority like it or not coming from Mexico is a problem and many of the pro immigration people solution is just to have an open boarder policy.

I feel for the people in Mexico but they need to change their own Government not have the US change ours to accommodate them.

For those looking to get worker visa to come to the US great or those looking to become US citizens I wish them well but the days of turning our heads and acting like there is no problem on the southern border of the US must end thankfully Arz has brought this to the forefront

May 13, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |