May 13th, 2010

Thursday's intriguing people

Ed Reyes

The Los Angeles, California, City Council on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status. The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

According to The Los Angeles Times, during their debate on the resolution, council members compared Arizona's legislative behavior to Nazi Germany and the beginning of the Holocaust, as well as the internment and deportation of Japanese-Americans during World War II.

"Los Angeles is the second-largest city in this country, an immigrant city, an international city. It needs to have its voice heard," said Councilman Reyes, a resolution sponsor. "As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer who's having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be ... deported, no questions asked. That is not American."

CNN This Just In: Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

Los Angeles Times: L.A. council bans most official travel to Arizona

John Legend

The singer-songwriter-pianist is helping to raise funds for Gulf Coast fishing families and environmentalists facing the challenges of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Legend and many other top artists will perform May 14–16 at the Hangout Beach Music and Arts Festival in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Along with Legend will be such performers as Zac Brown Band, Alison Krauss, The Black Crowes, and Jakob Dylan.

Legend, the winner of six Grammy awards, is also scheduled to appear at the Gulf Aid benefit concert in New Orleans, Louisiana, on Sunday.

Hangout Festival website

John Legend website

Robert MacLean

An administrative judge has ruled that the Transportation Security Administration was within its rights when it fired the federal air marshal for leaking sensitive information to the media.

MacLean was fired in 2006, two years after he told an MSNBC reporter that the agency planned to remove air marshals from flights that required costly overnight hotels. The disclosure embarrassed the agency, coming only days after the government had sent out a warning about planned terror attacks on U.S. aircraft.

MacLean said he will appeal the administrative judge's decision and that he hopes for a suspension, not termination, as the appropriate punishment for his actions. He told CNN in 2009 that he never had to make an arrest in five years flying missions as an air marshal.

"It was a well-paying job with enormous responsibility, yet extremely tedious and mundane," he said. "You did the same thing every day, there was nothing new. You sat in your seat and prayed that nobody would set off an IED or ambush you mid-flight."

CNN This Just In: Judge upholds firing of federal air marshal

Maryam Ali

The 16-year-old sophomore at West Potomac High School in Alexandria, Virginia, wants to race with her school's crew team.

In a moving Washington Post profile, reporter Annie Gowen describes the challenges facing Ali - asthma, overweight, lives in subsidized housing - and how tough it was to pay for her $260 uniform and the team's $750 fees. And because she's not strong enough to row with others, her coach found her a separate boat to practice in.

Ali, who is African-American in a sport dominated by white competitive rowers, told the newspaper that her goal is to get in a race before the end of the season.

"I just want to do the best I can ... and be an important part of the team," she said.

Washington Post: Rower confronts class barriers with spot on crew team

Piers Sellers

The British-born NASA astronaut is taking a small piece of Sir Isaac Newton's famous apple tree into space on Friday on his trip to the International Space Station.

According to the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, the mathematician and physicist saw an apple fall in his orchard at some time during 1665 or 1666. Newton then hypothesized that the same gravitational force that made the apple fall also governed the motion of the moon.

London's Guardian newspaper reports that Sellers, who has dual UK-U.S. citizenship, said he will let the slice from Newton's tree float around in the Atlantis shuttle.

"While it's up there, it will be experiencing no gravity, so if it had an apple on it, the apple wouldn't fall. ... Sir Isaac would have loved to see this, assuming he wasn't spacesick, as it would have proved his first law of motion to be correct."

The Guardian: Isaac Newton's apple tree to experience zero gravity

Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences: Newton's life

1. funny

Boycott California!!!

May 13, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dave

Most people in California and Arizona want illegals out, but racial profiling is not the right thing to do. Go after the people highering Illegal immigrants.

Just out of curiosity, how many people would like to be pulled over 2 or 3 times a day to see your birth certificate, licence, registration, and insurance card just because your skin color is darker?

It must suck to have a tan in Arizona because a tan may look hispanic.

May 13, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. azfanman

So should AZ ban LA electricity from the Hoover dam? I think so.

May 13, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bobby

As a member of the 70%, I wonder why there is even conversation let alone a boycott over AZ enforcing federal laws that have existed for years. If CA, the largest state in the union, started to enforce the same laws which they live under, we could start to right the ship and sail back to safe waters. Is the debt in CA not reason enough alone to do this?

May 13, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. Fallout

Nazis? The Holocaust? Give me a f'ing break. If I were an Arizona legislator, I'd be demanding an apology from Reyes for such vehement slander. L.A. complaining about anti-illegal immigrant law enforcement is ridiculous. I'm sure there are a lot of people in L.A. that wish the same laws would be enforced there. I support the Arizona law, and I think every state should adopt similar ones. Let's boycott L.A.! Illegal immigrants have been thumbing their noses at us for decades and it's only getting worse. Something has to be done, and Arizona has stepped up to the plate. I hope they stick to their guns and tell the opposition to head South if they don't like it. I've got no problem with LEGAL immigrants, I'm even married to one. But don't show up with your hand out and expect royal treatment like it's owed to you. Follow the rules, learn the language, and work hard just like the rest of us.

May 13, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. James

Reyes states "If I come across an officer who's having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be ... deported, no questions asked." This is actually not true of the law in any interpretation. The individual can however be detained and reported to Immigration services for investigation and then deportation if found to be true. The law refers the reader to existing federal law stating that fact.

May 13, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. bubba

Screw LA and all of CA – they are a bunch of flakes and should stay home anyway! Go AZ!!!!

May 13, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. DDave

""As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer who's having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be ... deported, no questions asked. That is not American."

And that it is also NOT TRUE. And Mr. Reye knows it/ Assuming everything else in his outlandish scenario is true, Mr. Reyes would not wind up deported, because the question WILL be asked. It is exactly misinformed hyperbole like this that gets the ignorant riled up.

Good luck with your boycott. Hope we don't decide to return the favor. I hear you get aweful thristy and electricity-needy.

May 13, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. Kevin

Boycotting a State of the United States of America. Maybe we need to boycott the city of Los Angeles. LA should have been boycotted a long time ago! It is our right as born Americans to want the illegals gone from our country. The experts say there are upwards of 11 million or so illegals hiding out in this country and those who are, are demanding that we allow this to continue without consequences. It has come time to deal with the illegals and send them home where they belong until such time passes that they enter America legally! There should be no SS benefits or free healthcare either. I as well as 100's of millions of born Americans have had to work all our lives to achieve success and never once was anything handed to us.

May 13, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  10. B-Bo

REYES – you don't have to live in fear if you are legal... UNREAL. AND LOOK WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Boycotting another AMERICAN CITY. Hurting other peoples families and business because of something YOU FEEL is UN-AMERICAN. There is a word for that you know – HYPOCRITE !

May 13, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kate

Shadi this is for you: No latino built my house or any work around my house. Actually the people that built my house were legal Americans! I don't know where you came from, but my grandfather came here the legal way. He worked hard to make a living and support his family. He only spoke Italian and no signs, driver test etc was changed for him. My mother went to school and had to learn English before she started. So you can go back to where you came from, the US got along without you before, we will survive and thrive without you now.

May 13, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. jim

Time to start a counter boycott.

Boycott L.A.

May 13, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Read The Actual Arizona Law

Shadi,

" you are bunch of racist people...have you forgot where you all came from? have you forgot that you all are immigrant..have you forgot that the only natives are the indians...you came here for a better life and you are no different that those latinos that are looking for a better job too...have you forgot who build your homes and backyards...? have you forgot who build your walls around your house or have you forgot who cleaned your houses? it is the latinos and without us amerrica stops"

I havent forgot, Ellis Island.... The federal immigration station opened on January 1, 1892 and was closed on November 12, 1954, with eight million immigrants processed there by the US Bureau of Immigration. KEY WORD: PROCESSED

May 13, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. The last American

The REASON LOS ANGELES IS TRYING TO STOP PROP 1070 IS ……..
    Because they know all those illegal's in Arizona will run to Los Angeles for handouts and will further bankrupt CA.. I bet if it were German or Russian illegal immigrants all these racist Mexicans would want prop 1070. Always trying to call everyone else racists when a lot of them are the racist ones trying to protect their own kind. Wake up people they are a little too proud!
    And comparing Arizona prop 1070 to the Holocaust, These idiots should be released from their civil status!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jerry

Yeah, follow the other lemmings off the cliff just like they did in Nazi Germany.

May 13, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |