May 14th, 2010
07:43 AM ET

28 electrocuted in India on bus on way to wedding

Twenty-eight wedding guests were electrocuted Friday as an overhead cable came in contact with their bus in central India, police said.

Twenty-three women, three men and two children died. Five passengers jumped to safety and suffered minor injuries. The bus driver was not injured.

The high-voltage wire touched an iron wardrobe on the roof of the bus as it stopped at Mandla district of Madhya Pradesh state, said top district administrator K.K. Khare.

As passengers began stepping down while holding the steel railings, the current passed to the ground to cause a jolting electric shock in the bus, Khare said.

Post by:
Filed under: India
soundoff (192 Responses)
  1. Ramesh Manghirmalani

    Shocking- India's post politicians take bribes and country never develops

    May 14, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ramesh Manghirmalani

    In a similar accident, 10 Hindus returning from a cremation were electrocuted on Thursday when a live power cable fell on their bus in the eastern Indian state of Bihar. Pakistan is far better

    May 14, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. carlson tyner

    Yo rip to those that losty their lives its tragic TRAGIC! But lets be real for a second who out there don't know that when a eletric line is on the roof of the car or in this case bus that ur not supposed to even move let alone touch the METAL hand rail.....wow

    May 14, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. carlson tyner

    Yo rip to those that losty their lives its tragic TRAGIC! But lets be real for a second who out there don't know that when a eletric line is on the roof of the car or in this case bus that ur not supposed to even move let alone touch the METAL hand rail.....wow....and further more if u see 5 or 6 ppl ahead of u dying when they touch the dam rail y would u do the same dam thing?????

    May 14, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. rohit sharma

    Ramesh, in that case you are free to apply for pakistani citizenship. This was an accident, although t could have been avoided

    May 14, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. danny rewinder

    You know, everyone's a critic. I have always understood that electrocution implies death caused by an electrical current. If you are shocked, you live. If you are electrocuted, you die. Lets try to get it right.

    May 14, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. Charles

    Really unfortunate for the people. But the hype never stops about India shining when things like this happen fairly often and there are other issues such as no water in the national capital Delhi during summer months.

    May 14, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Beebs

    Outsourcing jobs from the US and other countries has created all sorts of similar hazards in India-power poles have been put up to accommodate the call centers, without any proper safety measures. Live wires are scattered all over the place-its a small wonder this doesn't happen on a daily basis. Very tragic.

    May 14, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. jettboy

    "Wow, an easy way to control their out-of-control population."

    Easily the most heartless, unsympathetic comment I've read in some time. Bravo! Mom must be so proud.

    May 14, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. Adam

    Carlson,

    When the first person touched the metal railing, it was all over. for everyone.

    May 14, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ravi Gupta

    It was the moronic bus driver who rammed the bus into electric pole. Needless to say the guilty lives and innocent dies. Such is life.

    May 14, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. msastronomer

    Touch all the metal you want in the bus, sleep on the metal in the bus, eat the metal in the bus, it's all good. DO NOT simultaneously touch any part of the bus's frame and the ground! That is where the voltage differential exists and that is when the current will flow.

    May 14, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. Nick

    Davec is a lemming:

    It took one person holding a metal railing of the bus and stepping out (completing the electrical path to ground) to electrocute the entire bus. Davec its uneducated (don't even need a college education to know this, its simple grade school science) ignorant idiots like you who we need to control. I hope this moron (Davec) isn't breeding.

    May 14, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. Nick

    Don't you guys understand ANYTHING ?

    When the first guy made contact with the railing, it was INSTANT DEATH FOR EVERYONE on the bus.

    May 14, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. USA

    28 people died, many kids no longer have moms, sisters. Husbands lost there wives, Fathers were killed, 2 kids were killed...what is wrong with some of you people, look up compassion and empathy in the dictionary...think if this were your family, your mom, your dad, your kids...yhink before you speak or type in this case....

    May 14, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13