May 14th, 2010
07:43 AM ET

28 electrocuted in India on bus on way to wedding

Twenty-eight wedding guests were electrocuted Friday as an overhead cable came in contact with their bus in central India, police said.

Twenty-three women, three men and two children died. Five passengers jumped to safety and suffered minor injuries. The bus driver was not injured.

The high-voltage wire touched an iron wardrobe on the roof of the bus as it stopped at Mandla district of Madhya Pradesh state, said top district administrator K.K. Khare.

As passengers began stepping down while holding the steel railings, the current passed to the ground to cause a jolting electric shock in the bus, Khare said.

Post by:
Filed under: India
soundoff (192 Responses)
  1. Alex

    PROTIP #1: Apply rubber insulation to all power cables.

    PROTIP #2: Apply proper grounding paths to all vehicles.

    Come on India – you guys have the brains, let's try using some common sense.

    May 14, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sully

    In some parts of India, there are electric cables, wires, telephone cables and all kinds of power poles and communication equipment. I am not surprised at all that something like this happened. What a way to go. ZAPP!!!.....and it's over for everyone all at once. I bet it smelled horrible with all the burnt flesh and hair...yuck!

    May 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. xyzzy

    Unfortunate incident. If you dont get killed by the electric jolt, there are chances that the driving habits of India would kill.

    May 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. nonee

    Without caring so much for a country's population or child birth rate care more about respecting wonen and even the children ,nomatter where and in which country they are born.

    May 14, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fauzan SP

    In India this is not big news at all. Its surprising it made it to CNN. I don't see it on the site of any leading news portal of India. Thousands of such accidents happen every year. And no one is sued or compensated adequately. It is indeed very tragic incident but no one's going to be held culpable for this. Hundreds of such accidents happen everyday, if not by electrocution, then by collision. Most of them go unreported. India might have made big strides in education but most of its denizens lack civic sense and due to corruption and caste system no one cares for the poor. Thats why more than 75% are extremely poor finding it difficult to make ends meet. The so called upper caste only care about their own brethren. Thousands died and over half a million were effected in Bhopal gas tragedy 26 years ago and no compensation has been paid. Look up for it on google. That's life as usual in India.

    May 14, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Neil N. Robert

    @vbscript2: You're assuming that there is no path between the rest of the bus and those inside. Most likely, this is an older-style bus wherein most of the components are metal affixed to metal and pretty well conductive throughout the bus. 28 dead out of 60 people on board would bear out this scenario fairly well.

    Tell you what. Stand on a big insulated mat. Run a copper cable through several conductive plates on that mat. Hook the cable up to a nice big generator. Turn on generator. Hop on a plate. Nothing happens! yay! Now have another moron step on another plate on the other side of the mat - say, 15 ft away - and ground it with a conductive pole. Who gets the jolt? That's right...BOTH of you!

    May 14, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kobe

    Alex your are just a moron it's not even funny. you are what is wrong with American's you are why we have such a bad reputation. You live in your own little McDonalds, MTV world. Have you ever been outside of this country? Try it out, you may come back to the US with a little knowledge in your head.

    May 14, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ultros

    A bus in a squiggle-language country that DIDN'T EXPLODE! I'm SHOCKED! Must've been a pretty hair-raising experience for them all!

    May 14, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jack Meoffer

    Shocking !

    May 14, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jack be quick

    I'm ExSTATIC!

    May 14, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Surfer Joe

    What's wrong with all of you that you feel the need to comment on this story. Go do something!

    May 14, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nobody

    @Jack be quick:

    You are hereby sentenced to death by electric chair!

    How about a spell-check?

    May 14, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MurrPurr

    Commenting on the story about how nobody should comment on the story. Keep it classy

    May 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ultros

    WATT's all the fuss about?

    May 14, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. prashant sharma

    It really very sad and worst part is that this news is no where in Indian news papers. They are just covering film stars and politicians.

    Indian Media is really great

    May 14, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13