May 14th, 2010
07:43 AM ET

28 electrocuted in India on bus on way to wedding

Twenty-eight wedding guests were electrocuted Friday as an overhead cable came in contact with their bus in central India, police said.

Twenty-three women, three men and two children died. Five passengers jumped to safety and suffered minor injuries. The bus driver was not injured.

The high-voltage wire touched an iron wardrobe on the roof of the bus as it stopped at Mandla district of Madhya Pradesh state, said top district administrator K.K. Khare.

As passengers began stepping down while holding the steel railings, the current passed to the ground to cause a jolting electric shock in the bus, Khare said.

Post by:
Filed under: India
soundoff (192 Responses)
  1. Bob

    Hello....I am your Snell Computer support... How may I help you?! Snap! Crackle! Pop!

    May 14, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Laila

    This is really sad. May their souls rest in peace

    May 14, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. Neil N. Robert

    Wayne must have gotten his EE at a Pakastani school...

    May 14, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. Gary

    The real tragedy is the people there will shrug their shoulders, chalk it up to karma and move on. Don't try and apply Western standards of safety, construction etc to developing third world countries. India may have the bomb, but they also have some of the most primitive conditions for the majority of it's people. Overhead wires are everywhere, and not being adequately maintained, inspected etc. Half the time, they shut off the electricity over there for 12 hours or more. People regularly tap in to gain power in their homes etc. And to think they may be offering advice on your next customer service call...

    May 14, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Anand

    @C Jazzy Jeff: Really??
    none of the country is best in itself.. its the people who make it!! Also, I am not denying that US is a great nation.

    By the way in case of India, we Indians try to help each other even if it means dying.. and I think that's what happened here.. One person got electrocuted, the other tried to help, then other... and it continued.. that's the reason why these death happened.. I am sorry for the families lost, and my condolences are with them.

    @ALL: My request, please leave your condolences, instead of fighting over which country is good or bad.. Its an accident, and they happen everywhere.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jake

    Deal them, peel them
    people looked shocked
    Move, too, then you got
    private shower
    Killer, killer, killer, killer, killer...
    Girly Man!

    May 14, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joseph K, Ontario Canada

    This is such a tragic accident. I pray that the families get the strength to overcome this unfortunate incident. God bless the families.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joe

    Hey People. I don't know how many of you understand how a Faraday cage works. If you break the cage's integrity, just one person needs to do this then the redistribution of the electrical charge is not even, thus can travel through the bus and shock people inside. If for instance, most people are near metal objects when the first person steps off, then they'll get shocked too.

    Don't say that how could they not know a cable was lying on their bus because you can't see up in a bus, I wonder how many people travel in busses in the U.S. these days. There are multiple cases of people crashing their cars into a electrical pole, getting out shocking themselves because they just didn't realize it.

    Also, there is another case of a teenage crashing into a pole and ending up in a field. There was only two people in the car but 3 people got electrocuted and one person survived the shock. Wait, but only two people in the car. Oh, 2 people came to help and walked into the cable. Sorry but you can't say, how dumb are people when you just flat out don't know.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Raj

    This is a horrible accident and the root cause seems to be the iron wardrobe on the roof of the bus. That wardrobe, probably a gift to the newly wedded couple should never have been on the roof top of the bus. The driver would have missed the fact that the wardrobe had increased the "height" of the bus, thus touching the high voltage electric cable. Of course the subsequent act of the passenger getting down while holding the rails completed the electric circuit.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tom

    That's typical for a third world country. I lived in East Africa for a couple of years and you would not believe how many people died senselessly. A couple of my work mates died in obscure traffic accidents. Way too many and we had one burial after another. The problem – no one cares and they kind of think that's fate rather than improving public safety. Also, a woman I knew was ashamed of a pregnancy and went to some older women to get an abortion. I don't know what they did but the baby and mother died painfully ... and the story goes on ... I am kind of lucky to have survived all of the odds unharmed.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Neil N. Robert

    @Anand: Request denied. Not out of spite, but simply because this is the internet, it's not going to happen.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. Marvin Guardarrama

    They should have jumped off the bus, dummies! Don't these people get education, like PHd in electrical engineering like most normal people?

    May 14, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. Me

    "Jumped to safety" probably means just that – on overcrowed buses in many countries, some passengers ride on the roof. Believe it or not, it can be the safest spot – otherwise in an accident or fire, you're likely to be trapped inside.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bob

    You guys really should not speculate if you dont know what you are talking about. There are too many variables. Basically the skin of the bus is electrified. However, if there are rubber mats, carpet, wood flooring, or even rust spereating parts of the bus it will create potential. People stepping off the bus holding the rail will be grounded. Now other people holding on to the railing and touching a chair back or overhead rack could become part of that path to ground. Someone standing with their hands in their pockets on the electrified floor would be fine. Someone jumping off the bus would be fine. Remember it only takes milliamps of current thru your body to kill you.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. vikka

    some of you are jerks
    some of you are smart
    and some of you like me feel bad for these families
    its so sad i feel so bad
    but some people in a crisis do stupid things instead of think and relax about it.
    they panic and they don't think logically about a safe strategy

    May 14, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13