May 14th, 2010
07:43 AM ET

28 electrocuted in India on bus on way to wedding

Twenty-eight wedding guests were electrocuted Friday as an overhead cable came in contact with their bus in central India, police said.

Twenty-three women, three men and two children died. Five passengers jumped to safety and suffered minor injuries. The bus driver was not injured.

The high-voltage wire touched an iron wardrobe on the roof of the bus as it stopped at Mandla district of Madhya Pradesh state, said top district administrator K.K. Khare.

As passengers began stepping down while holding the steel railings, the current passed to the ground to cause a jolting electric shock in the bus, Khare said.

Post by:
Filed under: India
soundoff (192 Responses)
  1. Trolley Driver

    One of the first things we are taught when we receive instructions on how to drive a trolley (tram). If the car derails do not step off the car, jump away and then lower the pole that goes to the overhead wire. You lower the pole using an insulated rope. You tell the passengers to remain seated until you have the pole off the wire and it is safe to exit. It looks as if panic killed these folks and they became like lemmings,

    May 14, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. RAYMAN

    Yep that's the Indian folks - their infrastructure sucks so much – i'm not sure if I can feel safe anywhere in that country. Yet these Indians are more concerned about nuclear related stuff and funny how we give our jobs to these people..... totally unacceptable....

    May 14, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. Edwin

    Impressive how callous some of the comments are - they nearly made me sick. A joke about a wedding *toast* - i'm not sure if your relatives died YOU would think that was funny...

    May 14, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  4. deborah

    It is amazing that India and Indian people are among the top in the world and still these primitive accidents keep happening there. It is heart breaking because India is so much better than this, worthy of so much more.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. jackstrawdc

    I lived in India for 2 years and the ONLY reason this is even news is that it happened to this many people at once. I would bet dollars to donuts at least this many people die from the same thing every day.... just more spread out.

    If you haven't been to a Third World Country before, then comments such as "the driver should have known better" etc, might seem appropriate. But, India is a chaotic country with very few enforced rules. There are wires and pipes and holes and leaks and rambling wrecks everywhere. People die and/or are maimed constantly, everywhere. They also have no consumer protection or liability laws or environmental laws.

    ANyway, this is tragic, but it's nothing particularly spectacular.

    And, to respond to one of the rather moronic comments, this actually has the ironic impact of INCREASING the populations. Because India doesn't have welfare (social security, for example), poor people tend to have tons of kids, with the hopes that at least one will tend to them when they are older. This reinforces the notion that you just need to have a few extra in case some don't outlive you. It's horrible, but welcome to the Third World.

    ANd, not to get overly political here, but if it seems like some Republican ideas (less government, less regulation, lower taxes, reduced lawsuits and liability) are only in practice in the Third World... well, that's not entirely coicidental. I went overseas as a political independent and came back a proud tax n spend n regulate liberal. If you think taxes cost alot, you should see what happens to countries without all these social prgrams and first rate educational systems. Ok, rant is over. Peace out.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kracus

    I think some people aren't getting the story, 20+ people didn't electrocute themselves in a row like lemmings it's a few who made contact with the ground and the metal handrail that conducted the electricity into the bus that electrocuted the rest of the passengers. Not 20 people getting fried in a conga line of death.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. Brianna

    Hey, Carlson. Learn how to speak.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. Paul

    NEW DELHI (AP) — A bus carrying wedding guests caught fire after touching a high-voltage wire in central India on Friday, killing 28 people, police said.

    The electricity supply wire was overhanging the road in Mandla district in Madhya Pradesh state, police officer Ram Pyari Dhurwey said.

    The bus was carrying 60 people, said police officer Laxmi Pal.

    Thirty-two passengers were being treated in two hospitals for electric shock and burn injuries, Pal told The Associated Press.

    The area is nearly 295 miles (475 kilometers) west of Bhopal, the capital of the state.

    It was the second such accident in India in as many days. At least 15 people were killed in eastern Bihar state on Thursday when the truck they were riding in touched a high-voltage wire.

    May 14, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Robin Bray

    This is the kind and size of disaster that you will not hear of again in your lifetime. So very sad.

    May 14, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. Anon

    India is not rising or shining. This is yet more proof. I grew up in that awful country and I can tell you that Indians are cunning, underhanded, unhelpful people. The worst in the world...especially the ugly looking Indian men.It disturbs me how many of these creeps work on Wall Street, they are very vicious towards each other...especially misogynistic towards the indian woman. Awful people!

    May 14, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. Geri Webb

    How do accidents like this happen? How sad... Sympathy to the families and friends of these wedding guests....

    May 14, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jimmy

    What a tragedy!

    Before you make a smart comment about Pakistani or Indian education or lack of it, remember that each year a number of "highly educated" American construction workers are electrocuted by contacting overhead cables an d completing the circuit to ground. I know because d2 of my co-workers were killed when their backhoe touched a 1200 volt cable and they climbed down, completing the circuit. And, they had completed a hour-long Safety class on Overhead Cable Dangers less than 30 days earlier. THINK BEFORE YOU ACT!!

    May 14, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jessica

    THE INDIAN GOVERNMENT SHOULD SUE THE BUS DRIVER AND ANYONE RELATED TO HIM,..!!

    May 14, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. Neil N. Robert

    "This is the kind and size of disaster that you will not hear of again in your lifetime. So very sad.

    Posted by: Robin Bray"

    ROFLMAO...

    That's really funny - considering it's the 2nd incident in as many days.

    And before anyone whines about whether I'd be laughing if my own relatives, friends, dogs, cats, fish, whatever were on the bus: A) They weren't. B) Yeah, I'd joke then too. Too much seriousness can kill you as quick as you can say stress-related coronary.

    May 14, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. KK

    Anon – There are corrupt people all over the world..it's just to varying degree...in the US people like Madoff swindle millions from hard working people. In india those people might be corrupt because they need to buy food or pay for thier childs education..

    May 14, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13