May 14th, 2010

At least 7 dead, 101 injured in Thai anti-government clashes

A police truck burns in the background of anti-government protests in Bangkok, Thailand.

[Updated at 12:05 p.m.] At least seven people have died and 101 have been injured Friday in clashes between anti-government demonstrators and security forces in Bangkok, Thailand, hospital officials report.  [Updated at 9:49 a.m.] At least five people have died Friday in clashes between anti-government demonstrators and security forces in Bangkok, Thailand, two hospitals reported.

[Updated at 8:49 a.m.] The casualty toll in Bangkok has risen to four dead and 53 wounded in clashes between anti-government demonstrators and government security forces, emergency officials said Friday.

[Posted at 8:40 a.m.] At least two people have been killed and 42 injured in clashes in Bangkok, Thailand in the last two days, emergency officials said.

Video footage showed "at least one person lying on the floor with a severe head wound. They appear to be dead," CNN's Dan Rivers reported from Bangkok, amid "pretty fierce shooting" in parts of the city.

If confirmed, the person Rivers mentioned would make the third fatality since protests turned violent again on Thursday.

The clashes pit anti-government protesters, known as Red Shirts, against government security forces.

One person was killed and 34 injured on Friday, the Ministry of Public Health said. On Thursday, one person was killed and eight were hurt, according to the Erawan Emergency Center.

Post by:
Filed under: Thailand
  1. sam s.

I’m very sad to see what’s happening in Thailand today, why? I remember not long ago, when the yellow shirt protesters demanded changes in government the military did not use a single bullet to dissolve problems. This time when the Red Shirts demanded similar cause perhaps, less than the yellow demanded for example, demanding a new elections of lower house of congress the bloodshed is taking place (killing indecent people) by the military so the question is who is calling the shot if not the military. It makes you wonder the coup in 2006 was not by the military elites then who?

In my opinion, this will end soon or later but mark my words that deep hated in every Thai/Lao Issan and Laotians will remain for years to come. You can also expect the trust between business owners (most business owners have access to military elites in every levels) and workers (most of them are Thai/Lao issans) will be so severely damaged that the future is uncertainty in Thailand. Without migrant workers from those 15 provinces Bangkok will require new migrant workers from somewhere. Beware foreign investors if Bangkok has no labor work force your investment will disappear in a blink of an eye.

I am a proud Laotian and consider everyone as a friend but have been very susceptible of Thai government and what’s happening to Red Shirts has wildered my beliefs that whoever siding with the government are not trustworthy.

It is still not too late to stop this bloodshed so I am calling on ALL to denounce the violence by the military what they are doing is shooting human beings not buffalos!

Peace on earth

May 14, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Wit

This may sounds ignorant but I will say it anyway. It might be true that the government didn't use weapons against the yellow shirts. However, the red shirts' actions were more dangerous to the country in many aspects. I believe that the government is justified to do so, since the government has issued a warning to the red shirts that they will act today, yet they decided to stay. How could the government goes back on their word and still gains trust from the people?

If you have been following the news, you should know that the government agrees to their demands, even though they are "quite a terrorist group". I use the word terrorist because their actions include destroying cars, blocking the streets, setting trucks on fire, attacking monks, using corpses as morale booster, and even attacking hospitals, which according to Jeneva Pact (don't know if I call it right), if the terrorists attack hospitals, they will not be tolerated by any means.

Also, I would like you to take back your last paragraph. True, I am also against violence, but I believe that we have no rights to call anyone buffalos, if you are not in their shoes especially. People have different beliefs and it takes time for the truth to be revealed. We should refrain from using such offensive words toward anyone.

May 14, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ThaiTruly

I agree with you Wit. In fact 6 months ago I asked myself' why isn't the government doing anything or using force? Why is the government being so kind to people (reds) who cause a stir in the peace of the country? I can only say that Mr. Abhisit (I am no fan of him by the way) behaves well as a truly Thai.
    This is what our beloved King has taught us to become. Be kind, tolerance and sincere to everyone and everything.
    But no one would have taught One Square Face Guy is such rebellious to use money to gain distant power, feeding the ignorant and desperate people with money to act in terrorism. I, one way or another actually symphatize the red followers also. They do not know what they are doing, and how devastating it can be.

May 14, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mike

When you take arms and lay siege to a city you are not an innocent civilian. This is not a protest it has turned in to a civil war. When you declare war people will die. I agree with the Red Shirts that there should be free elections. But even after they were given that they wanted more. It's time for the PM to act and take back the city. Innocent people will die their blood is on the hands of the Red Shirts.

May 14, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kiran

By Cracking down can Government solve the problem? . After having lived 12 long years in Thailand and loving Thailand more than my Home country, I am sad to see how this going to end. The Government has no idea of containing Bangkok , how will it negotiate the North and the North east in the coming months ? I am sure from travelling in the North and the North east that this movement is not going away. I was the same person who thought Poor were bought over by Thaksin's Money , but How wrong was I !!! This movement will grow , unless Thai listen to the people.

How many people from bangkok can farm ? How many go to the Army ? The Army is already fighting a southern problem , No way will it be able to fight its own brothers and Sisters in North and North east.

Thai people need to know just because California is the economic muscle in America it cannot control the person in Washington or the same for the Economic might of Mubai control the person in Delhi. I hope the Govt listens and talks . Even the Americans in the end talked to Arafat and Gaddafi . We can all talk without setting deadlines and threats .

Foreigners living in thailand should form a group to meet and seek a neutral ground. Thailand needs outside help . Why is the US and Britain quite ? This problem will not end with reds getting massacred in Bangkok. The poor will rise again and again if denied the right.

May 14, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Terrorist who praised the king Bhumiphol

Khun Kiran,thanks,for understanding us,we're excactly the second class population of the country .I loved your words"The poor will rise again and again if denied the right".

May 14, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Khmer Racer X

Karma! is a beeech!! Let the Thai kill each other..they shoot Khmer farmer's like animals at the Khmer-Thai border! Civil War is even better!

KRX

May 14, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ssrj

We have tens of thousands of people living in open air for months because they beleive in a cause. A couse for justice and democracy. All they are asking is that a free and fair election be held. All they have are stones and bows and arrows to defend themselves from the bullets of the army and some of the commentators want the call this movement violent. This is a movement for the soul of Thailand, This will determine whether the country remains a feudal society which cares for the privilege and comfort of the few elites of Bankok or the wellfare of all its citizens. Wheter the country will embrace true democracy and let the government elected by the majority lead the country whether the elits like it or not. The problem started in 2006 with the coup that illegally removed a duely elected government and again in 2008 when the yellow shirts and the Bangkok elites worked together to again remove a democratically elected govenment. What is going on in Thailand will not end until this illegal moves are corrected.

May 14, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ta

I totally agree with Mr.Wit.

Please see what Red-shirts have done to their own country and their own Thai people.

I want you guys to understand why there're people died.
    Most of the dead men were a kind of security guards of red shirt.
    They have weapons to fight against soldiers, even though they always say that it was a peaceful and non-violence protest.
    The red shirt guards also had intension to kill the soldiers.
    I'm sure that if they stay in their own area, i mean in front of Red-shirt stage , they would never die by soldiers weapons. Till now, there are no elderly, children or women red-shirts die. This means the soldiers only shoot to protect themselves.

AND THE HEADS OF RED-SHIRT HAVE SAID THAT IF THE THEY LOSE THEIR RATCHAPRASONG STAGE, THEY WILL BURN UP EVERY CITYHALL OF EVERY PROVINCE IN THAILAND. AND ALSO DEPARTMENT STORES AROUND RATCHAPRASONG AREA .

ARE THESE HOW PEACEFUL PROTESTORS WOULD DO?

YOU CAN ASK ANY THAI PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT RED SHIRTS.
    YOU WILL NEVER FIND ANYBODY AGREE WITH RED SHIRTS' ACTIONS.

May 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. White

Firstly, I would like to clarify something about myself. I used to be yellow, but then red. Now? I am not on any side.

The government's action, in this case, is unavoidable. Up until now, the government was trying its best in order to maintain the peace. How many country in this world will not do anything when streets are set on fire?

The protesters even attack the hospital, not to mention threaten to attack Siriraj hospital, the most revered hospital in the country. True, the leaders of the Red Shirt have already apologized. However, the fact remains that the government didn't act. Why? It is to keep violence from happening all over the places.

Now, after the negotiations, the government agreed on a new election coming up this November and the protesters agreed to the conditions. However, even after that, they still wanted even more. They did not back down. If the protest keeps going, their demands will definitely be unending. Later, what will they do? Will they demand for their leader, Mr.Thaksin, to come back? Will they ask for pardon for all actions?

The government's responsibility is to maintain the stability of the country. If there are a group of people that is threatening the security and stability of the country, both physically, economically,and mentally, even after negotiations, the government should be justified to subdue the protesters for the sake of the rest of the population.

May 14, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

Kiran said "By Cracking down can Government solve the problem?" Simple answer is No!
    November elections as agreed to by both sides most likely would still not solve the problem either. The Red Army is to divided and speaks with many voices that never agree. They will never be happy with government. Some want Taksin back in power, some do not. Abhisit is PM and must keep peace for all Thai's. The Red army has made a peaceful solution impossible, after they excepted November elections then refused to leave the city. Now it has been turned over to the military to clear the streets and return order.

My suggestion to the Red army is to choose one leader to take control of all the voices. Take the offer for November elections and forget the rest of your demands of trials and arrests (they are unfounded in fact) My fear is after elections if they lose they will march again calling fraud.

May 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Wit

I agree with you, Mike. But one thing I want to point out though. The Red Shirt has way too many fractions. When one of them do something bad, the others will call it "fake Red Shirt". It's pretty much impossible for them to have one leader, considering that most of their factions have different ideals.

May 14, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Browner

Dan Rivers is the worst reporter I have ever seen in my life. His coverage of the situation in Bangkok right now is horribly biased. I have lived here for years, and everyone that I know is shocked at the true lack of insight that Mr. Rivers has into what's going on. He seems to magically stumble across only the viewpoints of the "poor innocent protesting red shirts", instead of the true red shirts, who are violent criminals that have broken more laws than one can count, and been given more than enough chances for peaceful reconciliation. The government, and the military, has no choice but to force them out, and personally, I don't know a single person that doesn't support these actions.

May 14, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kiran

Some of my rich Thai friends in Bangkok do not even know whats going on in the country. Its easy to brand a Movement terrorist without actually proving it. CNN and others are doing a great job in reporting compared to the bias media in Thailand who is scared of the govt and army to report anything negative. I am for one sure that the Govt who cannot even go and talk outside the region of Bangkok border will never ever understand Thailand . The rights of the people have been violated twice in Elections in the recent past and several times in the past.

This fight will not end where a PM who might be a well educated person is not a politician and does not know whom to listen , listens to multiple advisers each directing him in different ways . Reds have a leader .... even if he is not a Red , Lets have a meeting where like him or hate him Thaksin is spoken to by Govt officials I am sure they would listen to Thaksin and lets face it he would win election hands down today or November. Yellow Sympathizers come out and show the color of love for the country and stop the Army , by the way is this Army or what ? Where are the Generals who were responsible for so many coups ..... why not try them in courts ? This govt has lost credibility and will lose Power soon. I am also sure when they lose power now or in the election they will all meet a sad fate. Govt can win by force today or in the next few days by force but will not win the people in the North and North east. Thailand has to think long term solution . Now the Govt is waiting to pass budget so can steal some money out from there, appoint new General favorable to them just like the judiciary appointed by them in the past..

To some my question is the Thai PM really in charge ? I and people I work very closely in the Govt know he is not. He has no choice but listen to a faction even though he would love to save Thailand from the Bloodbath.

May 14, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Aimiscot

While redshirts ppl being shot because of blocking-up the roads and some ome captured only few weeks earliers have been jailed, those Yellowshirts blcoking both Thailand intl airports a full year earlier, are still living normal life, ocastionally appearing to support Gov. Why?

PM make the choice to pay back to those he owe, clearly in this case, not majority of Thais who did not choose him and his party, but minority urban ppl who supported him.

Thanks to CNN/BBC, showing the recent death red shirts and ppl are unarmed. Some are even shild and women, leaving Gov hard work to come up with more creative lies to put on red shirt side. I am waitting to see what new lie will be today from Gov.

May 14, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |