May 14th, 2010

At least 7 dead, 101 injured in Thai anti-government clashes

A police truck burns in the background of anti-government protests in Bangkok, Thailand.

[Updated at 12:05 p.m.] At least seven people have died and 101 have been injured Friday in clashes between anti-government demonstrators and security forces in Bangkok, Thailand, hospital officials report.  [Updated at 9:49 a.m.] At least five people have died Friday in clashes between anti-government demonstrators and security forces in Bangkok, Thailand, two hospitals reported.

[Updated at 8:49 a.m.] The casualty toll in Bangkok has risen to four dead and 53 wounded in clashes between anti-government demonstrators and government security forces, emergency officials said Friday.

[Posted at 8:40 a.m.] At least two people have been killed and 42 injured in clashes in Bangkok, Thailand in the last two days, emergency officials said.

Video footage showed "at least one person lying on the floor with a severe head wound. They appear to be dead," CNN's Dan Rivers reported from Bangkok, amid "pretty fierce shooting" in parts of the city.

If confirmed, the person Rivers mentioned would make the third fatality since protests turned violent again on Thursday.

The clashes pit anti-government protesters, known as Red Shirts, against government security forces.

One person was killed and 34 injured on Friday, the Ministry of Public Health said. On Thursday, one person was killed and eight were hurt, according to the Erawan Emergency Center.

Post by:
Filed under: Thailand
  1. justthai

Kiran – i don't think you are truly aware of the situation there. They had face-to-face meetings already and failed. Then the red called for multiple conditions, the government accepted (which in my opinion is not a right act), then the red demanded even more. They have their reasons to sustain the protest as long as they could. They played games! I am disappointed that you referred to Thaksin. Not only he has provided financial supports to the protesters, he is escaping multiple charges. He is not even qualified to make any negotiation with the government. I don't prefer this force, but when people go over the line and they don't follow the law. The gov needs to use force to manage the country and give back peace to other citizen. Yes, if there is a new election, perhaps Thaksin's people would win. If Thai people do not learn from this history and repeat the same cycle, then no progress would make. I wish we hit the worst point, and we then we learn, recovery and unite the nation.

May 14, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nattaya

red shirts use army-trained rangers to shoot against soldiers last night. The army is fighting full armed terrorists, the bare hand protester is set up are for PR gimmick. please understand the truth!

May 15, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • observor

That's a joke. Home made rockets & catapults make red shirts fully armed terrorists. Protestors shot down by army have been found un-armed. Video footages do show red shirt protestors helping shot media men or fellow protestors to medical aid. It's high time to open the eyes otherwise, in the near future, we may be seeing comments like '7 year terrorist shot dead in Rajprasong. Well Done Army, You saved the country from a deadly terrorist'.

May 17, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike

Thaksin is the beginning of this mess! The Cancer he has created in Thailand is now part of his karma.To see him back in power would be a sad day for Thailand. I have asked may Red supporters what they expect from there government and what the current government has done to hurt them. No one had an answer. They just repeated the same tired phrases "Illegal government in power", "corrupt PM", "bad army". They all sounded like parrots. I saw the same occur in this country. People wanted change now we have it and it is not change for the better. Now I see red supporters calling for blood shed

Peaceful fight is not working with this Dictator Govt, PAD mafia group, as we can see at Klong area last night, soldiers and PAD ppl waiting for killing Red shirt. The Red leaders should consider what Seh Daeng and Surachai Se Dan suggestion!

I ask any Red supporter to answer honestly from there own heart "What do you want from your government?" What do you expect them to do for you? If your candidate loses the election what then?

May 15, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. THEENDTIMES

This is times to the end of king and for the land of curse, God control them,no King no Queen
    to save this land, but God had plant for this nation. Thailand is the smile country, by now blood come out from they eye, only god can wash away they sin, Please stop to do this come together and hold your hands and pray to the living God.....May god blessed your all
    and your land..............from Goodnews...

May 15, 2010 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. aimbc

Essentially, it's all about a few people manipulating the masses. From my point of view, the people that the Red leaders have incited with hatred will stand to loose the most. To try and split the country into two groups is sinful. Personally I don't even think that the Northeast really care. Sure there is poverty, it's everywhere. But one thing about Thailand that it's blessed with abundant food resources and the kindness from all Thais. I will tell you this much, the genorousity of most Thais to help the poor and unfortunate is more advanced than other developed nations. I've lived in other countries and don't see many people dropping change into a box for a blind person singing on the street. The point of this is that I don't think any Thais would want to see other Thais get hurt. So the notion of a class of people in the Northeast being ignored is rediculous. Thais are not "jai rai" like that.

Let's talk about money here, because essentially that is what it's all about. No one would stage huge rallies that cost into the millions to support daily without paybacks. If the reds win and get their way, they will improve their lives by how many percent? 1%-5%, but the number are not important. The important thing is the ratio. So for every 1million baht that the red leader have they gain an increase of 5%, that would be 50,000 baht. Now for the red shirt supporter, according to most people are from the rurual poor, for every 6,000 baht, they would have gain 300baht. So who has more to gain from here? So the money is not the motivating factor for the masses, but is it the principle. But they are blinded by the leaders real intention and their bottom line. I am not against people improving their lives, but in the context of this protest, it's motivated by the greed of the upper. Of all the time they spent protesting and causing the country to move backward on prosperity, because now Thailand has lost international respect and confidence, they could keep advancing the country forward and benefiting everyone and not just a few.

The leaders should be assamed of themselves for stirring up the country and dividing the poeple. This is not the way to affect change. They have lost control of the situation and now it has fallen into chaos with infiltration by thugs and terrorist.

I would like to plea with the Red leaders to stop this. You have the election you wanted. Now go and campain and win back the hearts of Thais. Allow Thailand to be Thailand again, it's not perfect, but it is beautiful.

If you keep going and manage to win, you will only win fight, but loose the battle.

May 15, 2010 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. bai

@Ta, don't delude yourself into thinking the soldiers are still only shooting in self-defense. It is obvious to everyone they are purposefully aiming at the protestors to pressure them into leaving. Also, there HAVE been reports of women and children getting shot. A 10-year old child was shot dead when his parents failed to slow down enough at an army checkpoint, and the soldiers panicked and opened fire into the car.

In other words, don't believe every word that Thai media (The Nation, BKK Post) report. Did you know that BKK Post screens their comments before publishing them, excluding everything but the most anti-Red comments? Or that they lie about the number of casualties to make things seem like Thailand's government has everything under control? I am glad for CNN to be reporting the other side of the story which is usually repressed.

May 15, 2010 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Pray for Thailand

To gain trust of the people, leaders need to run the country with a right motives in their actions and deeds, not by their own selfish greed. They maybe able to fool the low class citizens but not those who are educated. I think this political issue in Thailand will never end even if there is next round of election. Currently I feel it is too short a period to say that PM Abhisit is no good, etc.

As a foreigner, people says Thais are kind and gentle. However, with this ruthless acts, I see the opposite and the Reds are just testing the patience of the govt, asking for more and being unreasonable. So, if govt will to give warnings before actions and if these people still disobey, I feel the govt has the right to self defence this country as it is in a mass now!

Look at its neighbouring countries around Thailand and esp Singapore, I think its govt can gain the trust and support from its citizens mainly because of their laws and clean ministers. From a 3rd world country it turns into a modern society. Without laws, there will be corruptions and lead to a chaotic nation.

Blessed are those who put their trust in God, not by human effort! May God changes the hearts of these people and forgives their generation sins in this land. May we see God's blessings in the days of evil.

May 15, 2010 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. Peace

I am amazed that some writers here still don't know what the protesters want. They just want justice. They want real democracy. The negotiation peace plan set up by the Thai governnent may seem good outside, but if anyone thinks carefully It filled with rotten rats. It still wants to procecute the red shirt leaders, but allow the authorities who ordered the killing of innocent people on the April10, and let go the yellow-shirt leaders who occupied the parliament building and the airport. The red leaders also requested the Thai government to stop censoring the new medias of the opposite side, but was rejected.

The easy way to stop this is the government needs to get out and let have a new election right away, and have the UN to observe the new election.

Lastly, I wonder why the king doesn't order the army to stop the killings. I notice that in the past, if the intervention benefited him, he would do it, However, if it didn't benefit him, he wouldn't do it. For example in October 1976, he didn't. This time he doesn't want to intervene either, because it doesn't benefit him.

May 15, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. Zaw

Hey fellow Thai,
    Your government is the same as Burmese government. Both shoot the innocent civilians. Have you ever run because army is shooting? It is totally nightmare. I feel sympathy to red-shirt.
    Now, Thailand and Burma are the same.
    Welcome!!!

May 15, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. pc

I had a conversation with one Taxi Driver recently discussing about the current Red-Shirt Rally situation. Of course, he's the Red-Shirt & Taksin Supporter. After long conversation that he never answered directly to my questions, I just simply asked "Do you think what is the 'Democracy' as you claimed that you & the Red-Shirt people fighting for?" His reply was "Urrrrrr....Urrrrr...it is the benefit that I can get."

Dear CNN Team,

This is my true story! And, it's just one example from me while I truly believe that there are more as I have also heard the similar ones from my friends. I have been always watching Thailand's news from you before watching from my local medias. Many people can guest the reason. Nevertheless, I admit that you have lost my trust after I have surprisingly heard many times from your reporters that this Red-Shirt demonstration is organised by the poor people who seek for democracy. Should you have done enough your homework on the field, you will realise that this is not the So-Called Democracy Demonstration.

Hence, please search the fact before reporting "...poor people who seek for democracy" as they cannot seek for the thing that they do not even know what it is. Please help find out the real agenda of this demonstration.

May 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Miles

The article just talks about the physical casualties of this anti-government demonstration. I have learned more about the kernel of this issue from the blog posts than the actual CNN report has said. Tell me more than mere numbers CNN!

May 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BetterTomorrow

@pc. So what do you think democracy is? Answer me.

May 15, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BetterTomorrow

Thailand's prime minister is defending the army's deadly action against protesters, saying officers have "a right to defend" themselves against "armed terrorists." From the pictures I see from international news media, I see only the proptesters use slingshots, rock, firecraker to fight with the soldiers who carriers war weaponary. So Thai prime minister and some Thais who listen only to the Thai government's media. You all sholuld be shameful to say that killing people for Thai king is OK. What kind of human are you?

May 15, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. theftashow

I have notice the live coverage of the Red Shirt protests are first on CNN Domestic then quite some time later on CNNI, why is this?

Surely as the rest of the world do not get our domestic CNN it would be advantageous to put it up on both channels at near the same time, or in real time? As by the time you show it on CNNI both Sky News (UK) and BBCw have it out there already.

May 15, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Amy

Yeh... It's true that they are poor. But those poor people are fighting back with M79.

May 15, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |