May 14th, 2010

At least 25 killed in Iraq bombing

At least 25 people were killed and 100 were wounded in a double suicide bombing in the northern Iraqi city of Tal Afar on Friday, an Interior Ministry official said.

A suicide car bomber detonated explosives at a stadium where people had gathered to watch a football match Friday evening. Moments later, a second bomber struck the stadium on foot.

Tal Afar is an ethnically mixed city about 420 kilometers (260 miles) northwest of Baghdad.

Later on Friday, at least four Iraqis were killed and eight others wounded when a roadside bomb detonated near a park in the predominantly Sunni district of Adhamiya in northern Baghdad.

The stadium attack followed a spate of violence across Iraq on Monday that claimed 85 lives and injured nearly 300, making it the nation's deadliest day so far this year.

Attacks were launched in six provinces, including Basra, Wasit and Babil - which tend to be less violent than others - in violence reminiscent of what was typical during the height of the sectarian war.

The violence comes at a critical time in Iraq, as the country is struggling to form a government after contentious national elections, a process that Western officials have described as "lagging."

No one has claimed responsibility for Friday's attacks, but such coordinated assaults bear the hallmarks of al Qaeda in Iraq, which is known to take advantage of political fissures to carry out attacks to create turmoil.

- CNN's Jomana Karadsheh contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Iraq • World
  1. Darlene Buckingham

Peace to All. PEACE PEACE PEACE.

May 14, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Barry77

They are infected with Islam. Its a terminal disease that causes people to love death over life, destruction over creation, hatred over love, and lies over truth. It controls their entire lives. It eventully causes them to make sacrifices of blood and bodies to an evil deity they call allah, who seems to never be satisfied with the body count. This disease is passed on by parents to their children. There is no cure. Victims don't want one and wouldn't take one if it were offered. It is very sad, indeed.

May 14, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Big Mac

Barry77 is genieus. Maybe Jesus is gay too

May 14, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. you are all filth

the fact that there are people who can sit by and say such disgusting and foul things like "a peice here and there all make me wanna punch some one" no wonder it took this country 100 years to finally get on track and when we did we were full of racist monsters and phycopathic pedo preist

May 14, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Big Mac

Chill out g, it's true they blow themselves up

May 14, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Big Mac

Personally there isn’t anything on this planet that is worth blowing myself up for.

May 14, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mark

Emboldened insurgencies. Enough said.

Way to go O.

May 14, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BlkApache42

I too served two tours in iraq n it is true that most n almost all ppl there want peace, n I too have cleaned up pieces of both iraqis n brothers in arms. They are to much of a coward to stand up for what they really want, so for the present time who is in front of them they side with wether "insurgents" or coaliton forces to avoid being prosecuted/hurt/killed. Spineless thieving cowards are ppl's stats in my book n didn't care for them becuz of it.

May 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Waldorf and Statler

I'd blow myself up for a Klondike bar

May 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dae Dae

To all you who blame Bush for what is going on here in Iraq. I am a soldier on my second deployment into Iraq. I am stationed outside on Tal Afar. I have lost my fellow comrades over here in the beginning. We did a good thing coming over here in 2003 (my first deployment). I can't agree with anyone that thinks that we need to just leave and let this country destroy itself. My friends that I lost would have died in vain if we just left now. We have done so much to help this country in the last seven years. I volunteered to come over here both times. All of you that are saying such stupid comments are a bunch of chickens that take what my family, the US Military, has given to you, Without us you wouldn't have a damn thing, NO FREEDOM OF ANYTHING. On a final note my friends are out there helping the citizens of Tal Afar with this devastation. I know someone here that has lost his sister due to the attacks. Shame on you who think that this is a point-less thing that we are doing.

May 14, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Utred

CNN gets it wrong again. Only 8 were killed and 128 wounded. How do I know- because I'm in Tal Afar

May 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rrock

We killed a hundred thousand or two when we invaded and destabilized the country. Of course Sadam was responsible for killing many of his countrymen but in the end we may be the biggest contributors to death in Iraq. All based on the lies of Bush and his cronies.

May 14, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Navac

When Saddam ruled they were all scared shi#less of him, hence no bombings or sectarian violence between Sunnis and Shias. Now, it's a daily occurrence, the norm.
    We don't scare them enough because we are civilized and aren't living 2000 years in the past.

May 14, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Amunaka

Hmmm..

"I think there's been a certain amount of, frankly, a kind of pop sociology in America, that, you know, somehow the Shia can't get along with the Sunni, or the Shia in Iraq just want to establish some kind of fundamentalist regime. There's almost no evidence of that at all. Iraq has always been very secular."

Bill Kristol

in an April 2003 interview

May 14, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cybertroll

Its easy for me to talk crap about this. You see, I'm a young American, sitting in a safe home, in a middle class suburb just outside of Anycity, USA. I have no life of significance, no people who really care about me, and no hope in my future, other than to make insensitive, ignorant, offensive, snarky remarks on stories like this. I can do it with anonymity, without fear of repercussions, so this is how I validate my pathetic, pointless existence. But at night, when I lay my empty head down to sleep, its very hard to muster up the will to face yet another uneventful, boring, loveless day in the vacuous void that is my so-called "life". But I lack the courage and determination it requires to change and improve myself, so I plunder along aimlessly, while I watch "real" people live, love, achieve goals, and become mature, fulfilled, significant examples of everything I wish I could be, but know I never, ever will be.

So, don't hate me because of what I say online...rather, pity me because of what I am in reality.

May 14, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |