The five most popular stories on CNN.com in the last 24 hours, according to Newspulse.
'Shocking' conditions at Tylenol plant: The quality and safety violations that led to the shutdown of a Tylenol plant were extremely serious, and could lead to tough action by regulators on drugmaker Johnson & Johnson.
Rachael Ray rips into KFC's new sandwich: HLN's Joy Behar chews the fat with Rachael Ray about the KFC Double Down and how food has changed over the years.
Marijuana plantations feeding Europe's habit: The mountains of Colombia's southwest Cauca province areÂ far from the reach of the law and just as far from market, making it difficult to scrape a living selling legal produce, dirt-poor peasants say.
Girls' video 'inappropriate,' Dr. Phil says: Dr. Phil McGraw talks to CNN's Larry King on the video showing young girls dancing to the song "Single Ladies."
Stop finger-pointing over oil leak, Obama says: President Obama on Friday criticized executives from BP and two other companies for blaming each other for the continuing oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico.
It's amazing how much the american people are willing to take when it comes to corporate responsibility. We continue to allow these companies to commit atrocities and get off with a simple slap on the wrist. What we fail to realize is that the we, the people maintain these companies, through the use of their products, purchasing of goods, etc. Instead of waiting for government intervention or action, We the people should hit these corporations where it will hurt them the most; in their pocketbooks! Boycott BP until they clean up the mess. They want to cap their financial responsibility on the spill- then we make them pay through sales. It's a very simple concept. Boycott BP!
Why are you even bothering with this at all except to get the country that owns this oil in the Gulf to get on the lead?
Not one drippy drop is American oil.
Obama you should sit down and shut up, we have no interest in this. Our govt has this arrangement in place; our govt could not manage our oil resources in the Gulf, so someone thought. It was judged that another company in another country should own the resources and give us certain cuts.
We can use our cut to clean up our coasts I guess, but our cut will be reduced with all that is escaping out of the ocean floor instead on a tanker for say, China?
The H1N1 flu virus, germ warfare or a lab accident?
Several months ago I had suggested and commented on the possibility the H1N1 flu virus came out of a science laboratory with questionable purposes. My suggestions and comments were entirely deleted in the CNN Anderson Cooper and Dr. Gupta's blogging networks.
Today, Dr. Shanta Zimmer and Dr. Donald Burke of the University of Pittsburg released their careful study of the Genetic Origin of the H1N1 virus and found it was NEARLY IDENTICAL to frozen laboratory samples of a 1950 influenza A virus but different from both 1947 and 1957 frozen influenza A strain samples. Their finds were also published in the highly regarded New England Journal of Medicine.
Their Genetic Origin finding strongly suggests the 1977 Swine Flu Virus HAD BEEN PREVIOUSLY PRESERVED IN A SCIENCE LAB DEEP-FREEZE since being collected in 1950.
And as population immunity waned and disappeared, suddenly this frozen 1950 H1N1 influenza A virus was released.
That was precisely what I had suspected and had previously attempted to comment on, go figure!
In guarded comments, Dr's Shanta Zimmer and Donald Burke state 'this was probably an accidental release from a science laboratory source'.
However in the Mexico City H1N1 outbreak, it is a safe bet that ABSOLUTELY NO SCIENCE LAB anywhere in MEXICO had any frozen samples of the 1950 H1N1 influenza A virus. The high mortality rate of teenagers in Mexico City brought a great deal of political pressure onto President Obama by the Republican Party members to immediately CLOSE THE MEXICO-AMERICAN BORDER. President Obama stood strong against that political pressure and refused to immediately close the entire Mexico-American border.
The H1N1 virus outbreak in Mexico City which killed a large number of relatively young and healthy Hispanic people appears to not be an accident and the sudden aggressive outbreak appears to have a known Republican political objective of having the US Federal Troops secure the Mexico-American border.
From what has become most likely unanticipated transparency since O took office, there is now a part of me that could truly put this on the table as an option. Ends and means all messed up.
Independent Scientists have found and proven what I have been actively complaining about since day ONE regarding the HEAVY CRUDE OIL gushing out of the Mercado Oil field exploratory well-head rupture.
Namely, the specific crude Oil gushing out into the Gulf of Mexico IS NOT LOUISIANA LIGHT CRUDE, it is HEAVY CRUDE composed of 50% Asphalt.
For WEEKS, BP and CNN Guests have erroneously repeated BP's talking points which include the misinformation that the crude Oil from this exploratory well is regular Louisiana Light Crude which mostly rises to the Ocean surface where it can be captured or dispersed.
Independent Scientists are finding enormous oil plumes in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, including one as large as 10 miles long, 3 miles wide and 300 feet thick. Their discovery is fresh evidence that the leak from the broken undersea well is far worse than estimates that the government and BP have given.
â€śThereâ€™s a shocking amount of oil in the deep water, relative to what you see in the surface water,â€ť said Samantha Joye, a researcher at the University of Georgia who is involved in one of the first scientific missions to gather details about what is happening in the gulf. â€śThereâ€™s a tremendous amount of oil in multiple layers, three or four or five layers deep in the water column.â€ť
You wouldn't see that with Louisiana Light Crude which the BP mouth-pieces and the Coast Guard Admiral have been MOUTHING.
From day one, University of Louisiana Earth Science Dept. tested a sample from this specific well, found and reported it was HEAVY CRUDE OIL with 50% composed of Asphalt.
Over and over I have stated and shouted the BULK of the spill is beneath the surface and for the first time, independent scientists in cooperation with NOAA took a look and YES I WAS CORRECT.
In my opinion BP are crass and callous liars, the Coast Guard Admiral likely doesn't know this is NOT regular Louisiana light crude and is simply mouthing BP's talking points who supplied him with that FALSE information.
Why is it important? The BULK of the Heavy Crude Oil remains deep below the surface and it is very difficult to disperse or biodegrade Asphalt components.
Folks, in a refinery Tank Farm, the largest tanks hold 500,000 gallons (1/2 Million Gallons).
To fit just one of the located huge undersea Oil Plumes you'd need a tank 10 Miles Long, 300 foot tall and 3 Miles across!
Imagine how many MILLIONS of gallons of crude Oil are in just one of the huge Oil plumes which is 10 miles long, 3 miles wide and 300 feet thick.
CNN and viewers, please do not be fooled by the BP PR spin as they repeatedly show and discuss the relatively thin layer floating across several thousand miles in the once pristine Gulf of Mexico region.
The Bulk of the Spill consisting of many Millions of Gallons of heavy crude Oil is beneath the Ocean surface. Insist on showing video taken by Independent agency's of beneath the Gulf of Mexico's surface.
Subject: PRO-ACTIVE OIL SPILL CONTINGENCY PLAN, Dated: 10 May, 2010
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: Hereâ€™s a contingency plan that has patented technology and a process that really works.
1. We found a pre-processed material and developed an action plan that would have extracted up to 95% of the oil spill contaminants from seeded surface waters of the Gulf of Mexico, before it hit land fall.
2. Our product is a, â€śModified Oil Spill Environmental Spongeâ€ť dubbed M.O.S.E.S., it is a ÂĽâ€ť to Â˝â€ť product that can be used to absorb oil contaminants from both â€śfresh water and salt waterâ€ť surface oil spills. Our tests have concluded that one ton of product will absorb 125 gallons of oil in less than one hour. Simply put it will absorb approximately one half of its weight in oil. M.O.S.E.S. collects/absorbs oil not water. After saturation M.O.S.E.S. will only contain about 1.4% water. It creates no added impact on marine life or the environment. It also poses no threat to other kinds of wildlife including humans. A fifteen minute test will prove this process works.
3. Our plan is full circle and includes staging, seeding, re-claiming and re-processing all of the contaminated oilâ€™s and seed materials back into re-usable fuels and commodities.
4. Due to the urgencies to reduce the impact on the environment and the magnitude of this spill, our plan required partnering with the Coast Guard and other organizations that were already being used to provide staging, seeding and reclaim operations.
5. Seeding operations were to be handled in essentially the same way they were being done, with minor and/or no modifications to airborne or aquatic equipment that would handle spreading ÂĽâ€ť to Â˝â€ť particulates.
6. Re-claim operations required the same booms, scoops, pumps and barge operations, that were being used.
7. Re-processing operations proposed a permanent emissions free plant for processing oil, sand and other like materials into re-usable fuels and commodities. The plant would take approximately ninety to one hundred and fifty days to construct and would become a permanent part of a states fast action response to future oil spills.
8. Our plan would have first, assisted with the on-going damage control operations in the gulf; second, it could have been put into operation within seven days; third, it would have become a $30,000,000.00 per year financial benefit to the communities that embraced staging and plant processing operations.
9. This plan will greatly reduced the time and costs associated with this kind of oil spill in the future. We are confident that this type of pro-active plan would become a template for other high risk (oceanic) areas.
So, why was this plan given no consideration at all? It is not a question of if another spill will happen, but when! The only excuses we have been able to come up with that, we are sure you are going to here are, as follows:
a. BP, News Networks and Government Agencies didnâ€™t have the time to consider a pro-active long term plan?
b. We were crack pots when, this technology is patented and the product could be tested in fifteen minutes?
c. BP has it under control as, they have done this before? Yes and, crazy is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results! We need to get past these smoke screens and prepare for future spills.
Thank you for your time and consideration. Weâ€™d love to receive some constructive input from anyone who is listening.
Craig N. Barthelmas, Verizon Cell:  682-1428, E-Mail: GE1RE22@aol.com
CC: BP., CNN, FOX NEWS, NOAA, Governors of: AL., FL., LA., MS., And TX.
ATTENTION!! The PRO-ACTIVE OIL SPILL CONTINGENCY PLAN listed above will not plug oil leaks but, it will address five major problems; two of witch, are concerns that have not been addressed in the media or in the government.
1. It truly is a LONG TERM-CONTINGENCY PLAN. It will help the community rebuild revenues while providing a fast action operational plan for future oil spills. Yes! Future oil spills will surely occur, despite future prevention efforts!
2. This plan is full circle and would included staging, seeding, re-claiming and re-processing all of the contaminated oilâ€™s, oil filled sands and seed materials back into re-usable fuels and commodities.
3. It creates no added impact on marine life or the environment. It also poses no threat to humans and/or other forms of wildlife. Oil, feed stock and sand processing are near emissions free processes.
4. It will generate $30,000,000.00 worth of new revenues for the communities that embrace staging and plant processing operations. The plant would remain in full operation after the clean-up is done.
5. It will also add about forty new jobs to the community. This is not only a plan to help with short term clean upâ€™s, it will also have a positive long term and lasting effect on the community as well.
We all know that BP has been feeding us misinformation and then trying to mobilize volunteers to help minimize their cost. Yes! We sent BP and other agencies this plan. Operations of this nature have a price tag associated with them and so, it would appear that they have no wish to spend anything on spills they canâ€™t control or that wonâ€™t go back into their pockets. The OMRS-100 technology is patented and, M.O.S.E.S. (The oil absorbent) can be tested in less than fifteen minutes!
As always our government is seeking a short term quickie (political talk) so we can get a long term scr**ing! Has anyone mentioned where they (BP) plan to put and/or dispose of all of that contaminated; oil, sand and material? We are pretty sure that without intervention it will be in somebodyâ€™s back yard, neatly hidden from sight, killing something else. Donâ€™t you think that any oil spill plan should at least consider: Prevention, Mobilization, Extraction and Disposal Operations?
Thank you for your time. We would love to receive some constructive input from anyone who is as concerned as we are.
Craig N. Barthelmas, Verizon Cell:  682-1428, E-Mail: GE1RE22@aol.com