May 14th, 2010

Whale freed from fishing net has died, official says

A gray whale has died two days after rescuers near Los Angeles, California, cut away fishing net that was wrapped around its tail and a fin, an official with the with National Marine Fishery Service said.

According to CNN affiliate KCAL, the whale was spotted Monday, swimming slowly in the shallow harbor at Dana Point. On Wednesday a disentanglement team from Sea World removed the commercial fishing nets and ropes, and the whale appeared to head out to sea.

Joe Cordaro, a wildlife biologist with the fishery service, says it is the 10th gray whale this season to die during migration.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S. • Whales
  1. Fool Finder

Matt, It looks like there's now enough of you to form "The friends of BP Society!"

May 15, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. Stephan

Maybe they'll clean things up better this time:

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vmnq5dBF7Y&w=640&h=360]

May 15, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mom of Three

Tyler, how did you get so wise when all you do is sit in your mom's basement, eat Cheezy Poofs and work it to free p.o.r.n.?

May 15, 2010 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. kevin

rofl. this tyler business is hilarious. it would go viral if not for this crappy blog format.

May 15, 2010 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. rachele

Who is Tyler and why don't I see his/her comment? Maybe it was removed. Anyway, that poor whale. I love animals so much that just hearing about things like this makes me feel very sorry for the poor animal in question. Yes, I do know death is not optional, and yes, I realize death is inevitable, so please don't bash me like some of you are you are bashing this person Tyler, whoever he/she is and whatever he/she said. I'd sure like to know what this person said to raise so much ire. Or then again, maybe I don't if Tyler posted some kind of messed-up animal hateing message. I'm not saying it was; I don't even know what Tyler posted.

May 15, 2010 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Edward F

It is sad that in the quest to feed our demand for fish, such beautiful, intelligent and endangered animals have to die.

May 15, 2010 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. rachele

Oops, I meant to write animal-hating message, not "hateing." I do know the difference, and I actually can spell, though one wouldn't know it from the typo in what I just posted. Sorry about that–I underwent three too many brain surgeries last year, seriously I really did. It's messed me up in a lot of ways, and typos is the leat of it. I only wish that were my biggest problem.

May 15, 2010 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ricky

Very sad. I hoped the whale would make it.

May 15, 2010 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. Randy

It's as if all folks care about is who can be witty. The oceans ecosystem is out of balance. We need to put concern where it belongs. Come now children, behave and eat your greens. I wonder how much life is destroyed away from shore with long line netting. We should continually strive for respecting nature's plan. Our understanding of the dynamics will far exceed any benefits reaped through current methods. Enough finger pointing, and let us bring science into our policy making and not be hampered by the squeaky wheel of the special interest lobbyist. Money talks, but we need common sense to rule. Come on!!! Think about it as if it matters. I'm sure it will to our children and the aliens who can't understand why we're so intent on looking good instead of being helpful. Pay it forward and let our compassion replace the pessimism. Or something like that...uh...whatever...

May 15, 2010 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. usafirefly

Too bad. Thanks to all the people who helped. The whale at least had a couple days of freedom.

May 15, 2010 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. vincent

ok ok now lets cut the sucker up and Eat it.....

May 15, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. dogs rule

cervezaxx: You truly are an idiot!

May 15, 2010 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. dogs rule

And vincent is very, very sick. Whales are mammals, just like US! )Well, maybe not like YOU, lizard brain!)

May 15, 2010 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ed

Does this mean everybody is going to protest and boycott sea world because the Whale died? I see Rev Al is heading your way after he leaves Arizona. I think Arizona will boycott Sae World because of the Whale

May 15, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. MartinG

@ mbobby: The Belgian company that now owns Anheiser Busch sold off Busch Gardens. You can't get your Budweiser there anymore. Sad day in Tampa!

May 15, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |