May 16th, 2010

Metal rocker Ronnie James Dio has died, wife says

Heavy metal rocker Ronnie James Dio died Sunday morning after a battle with stomach cancer, his wife announced.

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m. 16th May," Wendy Dio said in a message posted on his official website.

Dio, 67, followed Ozzy Osbourne as Black Sabbath's lead vocalist in 1979.

"Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away," she wrote. "Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all."

Born Ronald James Padavona in 1942, Dio's professional music career began as a high school student in the late 1950s.

His 1960s rock group The Electric Elves evolved into Elf by the early 1970s, when the group played heavy blues rock.

Dio's rock became darker with his band Rainbow, which he left in 1979 to join Black Sabbath.

Black Sabbath released three albums with Dio, including "Heaven and Hell" in 1980, "Mob Rules" in 1981 and "Live Evil" in 1982.

Dio left that band in 1982, but he had a brief reunion with the group a decade later. He formed the group Dio in 1982. The group continued to perform until his illness.

His last public appearance was in April at the Revolver Golden Gods  Awards when he accepted a vocalist of the year award his work on last  year's Heaven and Hell album. Dio appeared frail, but he was able to  speak when accepting his award.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. aaron

i barely listened to your music but you were awesome on the songds that i did listen to by you
    RIP Dio

May 16, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hack

R.I.P. Ronnie....u will be missed. Giving u the "horns" one last time.

May 16, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. brian

ROCK ON >>>>>YOU WILL BE MISSED

May 16, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DeniseD1971x

My husband and I are big Dio fans. We seen him in Anitoch Tennessee along with Scorpions and Deep Purple. Ronnie James Dio had a voice like no other. When he opened his mouth, you were surprised about how powerful his voice was. R.I.P. Ronnie. He will be missed
    Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Wendy and their family and friends.

May 16, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dal

RJD is The Man On The Silver Mountain

May 16, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joseph Beach

The Man on The Siver Mountain.. R.I.P.

May 16, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ken

he's up there rockin next to Hendrix, Dime, and Rhoades now. RIP Holy Diver, keep rockin

May 16, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chris

One of the best all-time voices in metal. RIP. Man on the Silver Mountain.

May 16, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kellie

My thoughts and prayers are with Dio's family. He was one of the BEST i've ever seen live. He will surely be missed! Will crank up some Man on the Silver Mountain and Heaven and Hell in his honor. RIP RJD!

May 16, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kC

Growing up many thousands of miles away, his voice was an inspiration to us all to ROCK ON. Was fortunate to see him in concert as well. Today is truly a sad day for the rock n roll community. Go in peace Ronnie. My condolences to the family – may God give them the courage to deal with ths loss.

May 16, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. David Raseta

One of the all time best has left us, if not the best. Ronnie James will be missed by alot and I mean alot of people.
    Mr. Dio was the king of Heavy Metal and hard rock. The man was the master of what he did. And all who sing and play music should give thanks to this man, for the rest of there lives.
    LONG LIVE THE MASTER.
    To Wendy, I am very sorry for the lost, it will past like everything else, but will not be forgotten.
    David Raseta
    Marysville, KS.

May 16, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Duane

RIP Ronnie. Metal forever! \m/

May 16, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joel

I was listening to Heaven and Hell, and The Mob Rules while working out a few nights ago. I didn't know Dio was ill, and wondered how old he now was, and how much longer he'd be around to put out great music. This news is a shock and I feel like I was just punched in the stomach. The world just lost someone who made this place better, in his own way. Ronnie, you will be sincerely missed.

May 16, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. floydfix69

bless his famliy and him he touch my heart many times , your music will always live on my brother. soar with the angels. peace.

May 16, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. patrick james

Rest in peace Ronnie. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. May the wind be at your back, and sun shine on your face Ronnie. We love you! 🙂

May 16, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |