May 16th, 2010

Metal rocker Ronnie James Dio has died, wife says

Heavy metal rocker Ronnie James Dio died Sunday morning after a battle with stomach cancer, his wife announced.

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m. 16th May," Wendy Dio said in a message posted on his official website.

Dio, 67, followed Ozzy Osbourne as Black Sabbath's lead vocalist in 1979.

"Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away," she wrote. "Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all."

Born Ronald James Padavona in 1942, Dio's professional music career began as a high school student in the late 1950s.

His 1960s rock group The Electric Elves evolved into Elf by the early 1970s, when the group played heavy blues rock.

Dio's rock became darker with his band Rainbow, which he left in 1979 to join Black Sabbath.

Black Sabbath released three albums with Dio, including "Heaven and Hell" in 1980, "Mob Rules" in 1981 and "Live Evil" in 1982.

Dio left that band in 1982, but he had a brief reunion with the group a decade later. He formed the group Dio in 1982. The group continued to perform until his illness.

His last public appearance was in April at the Revolver Golden Gods  Awards when he accepted a vocalist of the year award his work on last  year's Heaven and Hell album. Dio appeared frail, but he was able to  speak when accepting his award.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Bert

Gerry .. that is really romantic ...

May 16, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. David Orendorf

I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times, a real genuine soul! He never lost track of what he was doing or changed his style to join the "sold out" bandwagon. My condolences to his wife Wendy and family. R.I.P. you were a true "metal Legend"..

May 16, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Matthew Pike

You will always be the Man on the Silver Mountain.

The music will always live on through your fans.

All love to the Dio family and fans, you will be missed.

May 16, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bert

Angel ... How do you know Bret Michaels story was crap?

May 16, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kevin

Long Live Rock N Roll!! He was the Man on the Silver Mountain. My condolences go out to his family. His voice will be missed. One of the best voices in Rock. Maybe him and Bon Scott are rocking together now. I had the privilege to see Ronnie once several yrs ago with Deep Purple and the Scorpions and he was AWESOME!! Thanks for the great music Ronnie.

May 16, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom Frazin

Great musician who will leave his mark on the Rock and Roll industry. A legend who will be missed . . Rock on Ronnie!!!

May 16, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Todd T.

Judge not, lest ye be judged, Will; or are you worthy of throwing the first stone?

May 16, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bruce

I will miss you Ronnie.

May 16, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bert

Kevin ... dead people don't rock ... they just lay there dead..

May 16, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bert

Todd T ..

I'm a judge. This guy sucked.

May 16, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jerry Fielden

I had the pleasure of seeing RJD sing with Rainbow, Sabbath and solo. And also the pleasure of meeting him. What a wonderful and talented person the music world has lost today.

May 16, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Glam88

Bert

I'm sure Dio's music wouldn't do it for a Justin Beiber fan, so perhaps you should take my suggestion and stop posting.

Again, I point out that your comments show blatent disrespect for the dead and the feelings of others and you continue to illustrate your lack of character. I will not entertain anymore of your posts.

Rest peacefully, RJD, and heartfelt sympathy to family and friends.

May 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jon o

R.I.P. Ronnie- SUCH A SAD DAY FOR ROCK MUSIC 🙁 He Will Be Greatly Missed!!!!

May 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Satan

Bible thumpers need to get a f***ing life. Hey Bert, how about you go kill yourself so you can meet Jesus faster and spare the rest of us from your Christian drivel? Just for you, I'll make sure to blast my Black Sabbath and Dio extra loud if I drive by a car with a piece of s*** Jesus fish on the back of it tomorrow.

Dio, your music is great, Holy Diver was one of the first riffs I learned for guitar and remains one of my favorites. You will be missed, but your music will live on. My condolences to the family.

May 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anti-Bert

Bert, do us all a favor and stop posting that negative crap. It's not right, and you should be flagged for even doing it. Go back to your gangster rap crowd and leave this page to the people who want to give respect to someone they admired and loved. Thanks...

May 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |