May 16th, 2010

NORAD: U.S. jets intercept ultralight plane from Mexico

Two F-16 military fighter jets intercepted an ultralight aircraft that flew into Arizona from Mexico on Sunday and tracked it until the ultralight returned to Mexico, the North American Aerospace Defense Command said.

A statement by the NORAD command center in Colorado said the ultralight crossed into U.S. airspace just after 6 a.m. Arizona time (9 a.m. ET).

The F-16s were launched to intercept it, and they shadowed it for 30
minutes before the ultralight returned to Mexico, according to the NORAD
statement. No other details were immediately available.

Post by:
Filed under: Mexico
  1. Patch

...Before the ultralight was caught in their jet stream and ripped apart. Next time use a passport.

May 16, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • el magnifico

there is a lot of hate from all sides in this forum, but no one is really offering a solution, what if all the white people who doesn't want brown people around them go back to small town America and take those back breaking jobs in the agricultural field, to provide the food needed by the other white people living in the big cities. Also what if you stop using drugs for "experimentation purposes" which is a lame excuse to rationalize drug addiction. By using drugs you are not expanding your consciousness, or increasing your physical strength. You are just becoming dependent on a narcotic produced in a foreign country. What if all white men start to work two jobs instead of one, in order to allow their women to stay at home and take care of the children, instead of using an immigrant nanny. What if you cook your own meals, and make your own garments so immigrants won't have a place to work in the sweat shops. What if you stop paying attention to corrupt politicians who are using hate to obtain political power without thinking in the harmful consequences for our nation. What if you tell your white, beautiful, and superior children that they have to stay poor and uneducated, so they can serve their kind and keep foreigners from "invading" this glorious white country. the solutions are at hand, but seems like everyone is waiting for their next door neighbor to do it first. then don't complain about the rapid changes that we see happening, because is our own fault for loving too much an easy life.

May 16, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alexa

It sounds like you are the one with the hate and a very bad chip on your shoulder. Americans have worked for what they have. My parents were immigrants from Europe over 50 yrs ago. They worked hard for everything our family had and never complained. You are the one complaining. What is so wrong with your country that you have to come to America to find a job? Maybe you should complain to your government about how poorly they treat their citizens. It's not the Americans fault that you have had a hard time in YOUR country. If it's so bad, climb back across the border!

May 16, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jammerm

Maybe I wouldn't have to work two jobs so my wife could stay at home If didn't have to pay high taxes to support those nannys, field workers and such. Eliminate welfare for all and nobody would even care about illegal immigration. Until then we just can't afford the extra burden.

May 16, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian

Alexa,

You are kidding, right? You (proudly) declare your parents were immigrants from Europe – but in the same breath ask "what is so wrong with your country that you have to come here to find a job"...... Didn't your parents come here for a better life too?

May 17, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • holly

Alexa's parents probably came from Europe legally. I have NO problem with legal immigration. My friend's husband came here from Egypt and trying to stay here is difficult and expensive due to the immigration lawyer.

May 17, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Brandon

The problem with thought processes like this is that they have no regard for the realities of the situation and instead focus on the emotions of it.

Illegal immigrants break the economy. They drive down the cost of labor and send their wages abroad where they can manipulate the exchange rate to exploit the system. They pay what taxes they choose and receive what services they choose. Don't confuse the issue. Immigrants aren't honest workers, they're scamming the system. Just because they're too ignorant to see their negative role in the larger economic system doesn't mean they should be able to ignore it. It has nothing to do with race.

May 17, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Hank Castello

el magnifico – that was well put! All we usually hear on these blogs and from our politicians is anger and slogans. What we need is a solution that is rational, fair and respects the rights and freedoms of all.

May 17, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Nate

Basics of Economics: Supply and Demand. If there is too much Supply, price (or wages) go down. The "brown people" and others who are legal here see their wages depressed because of illegals who Supply excess labor. It isn't racist to want to take care of one's own first. Go home and get your corrupt government and business to step up to the task of developing your backward country and stop blaming Americans for your problem. Your lot bring crime and disease into our country along with wage depression. Geezzzzzzzz.

May 17, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Rizzle

The manipulation you guys use making it a 'racial issue' is completely ridiculous. It's not about brown skin/white skin. I personally love hispanic culture, BUT come here legally. If I were to come in your families house in Mexico and slap your mom and beat your kids, would you still leave your door open? Would you be protective of your house and if I were going to come back to slap your momma around more? Or borders need to be secure just as your borders need to be secure, along with every other country on earth. Come here legally.. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about right? When you get here legally we can have a fiesta together. @Canadian... Every country has immigrated and fought for land, even you country and Mexico. Americans have made this country the great place that it is, which is why so many people try to come here. We will defend our home with everything we have. I suggest everyone do their part to make their home a great place to be too.

May 17, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • davidca

Your comment was more of what you are complaining about el magnifico! What is the "solution'? I didn't hear you offering up anything. And i take offense to you el magnifico for putting "all white people" into the same group. Do you know how all the white people think or feel? Think how mad you get when you hear someone say " all the mexican people are drug users or illegal or criminals".

May 17, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Yeahright123

el magnifico, the white people already do a lot of the stuff you mentioned. why don't you just do what a regular immigrant would do, and that is apply for a VISA, then ask for a alien resident card, but that right, your to lazy to do it. you would rather come here to get a job and free money and take it back to mexico. I'm glad Arizona is doing what its doing, cause im honestly tired of you illegal people. I got a solution to your uneducated and poor country mexico, its easy, its called go back home and fix it your self so the USA doesn't have to fix it for you. why don't you email canada and ask how they did it, so stop drinking yourself to death and go fix it.

May 17, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Don

From the blatant sarcasm in your post it is obvious that you are one of those hate filled people you mention. If you don't live in an area that is over run by illegals you do not understand what it is like and it would be better if tou remained quiet. All of us know Mexican people that are hard working and just want to live and be let alone. I think we all have compassion for them, however that is not all the story. Many of the illegals are the dregs of the Mexican society, drunkards, dope heads etc and we don't need any more of this kind. The government has no idea how many are in this country and where they are from. We need to first secure the border. Stop any more illegal entry into the country. Next they need to be sorted out. Many need to be let stay and many need to be sent back. A note of interest. Many were upset over the loss of American lives during the Iraq war. Most news media kept a daily running tall of killed and wounded. During that same period more Americans were killed and injured by illegals in this country than was killed in Iraq. You heard very little about that. Ever wonder why???

May 17, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Really??? The problem is not with the color of a persons skin. I don't care what the color of your skin is, if you want to live in America and be a productive part of our society I say welcome. But do it the legal way. Another problem in our great country is that people only associate racism with white people. Well last time I checked racism is alot bigger than that. Your post sounds a bit racist to me. If your born in America, your American. Not Mexican-American, African-American or Italian-American, just American. If you don't like it, you are free to leave, make room for somebody who appreciates this country.

May 17, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
    • kesto

Ok there is only one solution to an ongoing problem in immigration, which is to make illegal immigrants who are already here legal, and force the next generation of immigrants to become legal. I believe people are making comparisons to racial profiling in this issue incorrectly. People coming across the Atlantic to get to america had to do it the right way. Even though we did take Mexico's land, the current United States would have more advantages by creating a safer border crossing and information of each citizen. The goal of a country is to serve its citizens, and to include everyone righteously and fairly we need 100% citizens. Honestly our economy depends on people coming and making a living. We need people to work hard and contribute that is one reason our government has been arguing to close our borders. Employers take advantage of illegal immigrants and pay them lower wages than minimum wage and no benefits. Would it not benefit immigrants to become legal citizens?

May 17, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
    • El Diablo

Man are you serious? The real solution: Immigrants stay in their country or apply for citzenship. If they don't like their country, fix it. You speak of repelling against the politicians, then do it. Its your country, mobilize but don't expect to come to the USA and get fair treatment. Yes you may work the fields and may work the two jobs but your working under the table at a very low rate, hence the two jobs. I have nothing against black, brown, white, yellow or any other color. Racism, at best starts with the power trips that people have. Come to be with Black Power, I come to you with White Power. Come to me with La Raza, I again will rise up. So the Racism is a two sided street. Illegal is illegal, regardless. Want Respect, Earn Respect. It takes two to tango, Racism is not one sided and what Arizona is doing is protecting their own American Citizens against criminals..Last time I checked being illegal is a crime.

May 17, 2010 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • shameonarizona

couldnt have said it better my self. and many white americans tend to forget who's ancestors were here first.

May 17, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • dustin nguyen

I am a Vietnamese immigrant living in Southern California and I can tell you this El Magnifico: if the U.S allow Southeast Asian Farmers to come here to work in the field with minimum wage, millions of us will apply to come to work in the U.S ASAP. And they would learn English like crazy before they get on the airplane to America. They would also come by themselves, no need to worry about bringing over their wives, children, grand ma, grand pa or whatever. Not only they would make good farmers in America, they would assimilate well into U.S society as well. If you think that without illegal aliens the U.S is in trouble then you must be very ignorant and naive. Hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese labors are working under terrible conditions in Middle East, in Eastern Europe, in Asia without any right, any protection, any welfare, any free education, any kind of health care and none of us ever complained or demand anything from the host countries. Illegals here should try to go to Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, Korea, Kuwait, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Germany or any other country in the world and see how they got treated. I guarantee that they will thank God that they came to America.

May 17, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
    • wgtrr

Glad you LIKE the hard life EL MAGNIFICO.I wish you 3 low paying jobs not just two.BTW has anyone noticed that the Asians don't come here to study CHINESE CULTURE in high school and university? They just waste their time studying medicine,law,engineering.They know nothing about LATINO STUDIES,they are so foolish.

May 17, 2010 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
    • el magnifico

to W141
      the post everybody is commenting is a left over of a different argument I had several hours ago with some harsh people who were using a lot of bigotry in their comments, on the same issue (the ultralight plane), but they were using the same article to attack immigrants. My comment was like the number 640 or so, but after the web page reset at midnight, my comment appeared at top, and the previous comments that I was answering to disappeared. That is why my comment seems to be out of context, Because you can't see the previous messages I was answering to.

but thank you for noticing, and not being harsh to it like some other folks, who are not reading the post so carefully

May 17, 2010 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
    • MAD AS HELL

ALL OF THOSE THINGS YOU MENTIONED, ARE IN FACT DONE BY IMMIGRANTS....."LEGAL" IMMIGRANTS, WHO WENT THROUGH THE PROCESS TO BECOME A CITIZEN AND TO PAY TAXES, ETC. IF YOU'D USE CONDOMS OR SOME OTHER FORM OF BIRTH CONTROL THE WOMEN WOULDN'T HAVE TO STAY HOME WITH YOUR 15 KIDS. STOP WHINING AND JUST BE GLAD WE EVEN LET YOU LIVE HERE. I DON'T SEE ANY "IMMIGRANTS" BEING KILLED IN THE WAR FOR "OUR' FREEDOMS.

May 17, 2010 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
    • James "Jaime"

I don't understand you.. Drug use and nannies? The reason illegal nannies are used is because they are ILLEGAL. Work in sweat shops? Would you rather them sell gum in the border line? Drugs... this is a problem that plagues not only white people but all races in general. Where do 95 % of drugs come from in Arizona, Texas and California? I know quite a few mexicans that do drugs.. quite a few whites that do drugs and quite a few blacks that do drugs.. Yes change is coming and we are all ready for it. A black president? That doesn't signify change to you? I happen to have a daughter who is 75 % percent mexican. She is blonde hair, blue eyed and probably looks "white." Why in the world would I tell her she has to stay poor? I live 5 minutes from Tijuana and all my friends are of different ethnicities. Never once have I heard them discourage their children from being what they want to be in life, especially my friends that are of the hispanic race. What does this have to do with people invading "white" America? This country is a boiling pot of all ethnicities... There are people of all colors and races EVERYWHERE. When you talk about corrupt politicians I assume you are talking about the politicians in Mexico right? You did prove a point in the fact that the answers are here... however what you said made no sense except the end. I enjoy an easy life.

P.S. I would work 5 jobs to keep my wife at home unless she wanted to work herself.

May 17, 2010 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Lone Ranger

Here's a solution. Let's just swap countries. All the "brown people" can come to the U.S. and all the "white people" can go to Mexico. Of course, after the "brown people" make a shambles of the U.S. just as they have Mexico, we'll have to build fences again to keep them north of the border.

The solution is for Mexicans to clean up their own country. Don't go looking for another country to flee to.

May 17, 2010 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
    • truth

guess what, I dont care if you brown blue or green. If you are here illegally then you need to be thrown out. illegals of any color do not belong, they bring crime, they dont pay taxes, they send money out of the country and they destroy the job market, Illegals are willing to work for less than they should because they have no chance to make even that much back home. If illegals were not lowering the wage by working at a job for less than more people would be willing to do them. BTW I dont need any illegals for any reason. I cook my own food, I take care of my own , and I work very hard at two jobs. one is my own company, and one is for someone else. I own a construction business and I dont use illegals to do anything. Anyone who does should go to jail . If you dont like it to bad. I for one would hire a person who was here LEGALLY as a guest worker, otherwise go away you are ruining everything for everyone else. Dont try to paint me as a racist my wife and my best friends are " brown people" yea Im white, but im not a junkie or a racist. The law is the law. BTW i support a guest worker program AND amnesty for all illegals who ergister and start the process to be here LEGALLY. otherwise they should be thrown out.

May 17, 2010 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil E. Drifter

"By using drugs you are not expanding your consciousness" incorrect. Crick of 'Watson & Crick Double Helix DNA fame' took lsd to help him think, and was on lsd when he envisioned the double helix; he won a Nobel prize for it. It's not a war on (some) drugs it's a war on minorities to replace outlawed slave labor with prison labor. Read tinyurl.com/1mn tinyurl.com/potconviction tinyurl.com/waronminorities tinyurl.com/gov74

May 17, 2010 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Why is the assumption that white immigrants are all legal while brown is illegal? I am a proud Hispanic whose family lineage can be traced back when Texas was in Mexico. I serve my country proudly and been oversees nearly 8 years. I do acknowledge the negatives of illegal immigration but Europeans even today aim to work and live in the states too. But due to better country relations, it is easier for them to get student Visa, work Visa, travel permits and many of them never return to Europe, mostly East European citizens. I know, I live among them. Lastly Ellis Island processed and allowed millions of Europeans to come on over and become legal. Where is the south and west coast Ellis Island?

May 17, 2010 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Stephen--you know--an actual American

Yeah, nothing wrong with Americans. I don't exactly go around advertising the dozen or more ethnicities in my ancestry because I am and always will be an American. I'm sure a lot of my distant relatives were immigrants but they came here LEGALLY. I make no excuses for anyone who breaks the law or doesn't hold our common values here, Juarez. I just have a problem with those who, like you, obviously don't belong here–be they brown, black, tan, yellow, or white as paper. Okay? Thanks and have a good day.

May 17, 2010 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
    • white pride

What if every other word out of your mouth wasn't blla

May 17, 2010 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
    • workinforalivin

What part of Illegal alien don't you understand....I know there are plenty of hard working people coming up from mexico but the drugs,guns and trash also cross the border...Do everybody a favor and go through the proper chanels and all will be well....I'm in favor of what Arizona is doing ..Do yourself a favor and look up the word ILLEGAL in the dictionary.....

May 17, 2010 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
    • E. Elliott

What if we stopped the bunko about this having to do with race? It has to do with the criminal immigrants artificially depressing the wages American workers can get by under cutting their salaries. It is about the corrupt and criminal employers that hire them to save money and to dodge with holding taxes. It is about justice for the good people that we have come here legally. So, stow your fussing and follow the right policy, uphold the law – identify, capture and expel.

May 17, 2010 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
    • PJA

I am native american – why doesn't everyone go home?

40 years from now when the demographics of age kick in, everyone who is not tolerant of immigration will see why it was important.

May 17, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
    • bobby joe

White men? In my neighborhood the White Men, Brown Men and Black Men all work the same. We all also pay taxes and speak english. Some of us work 2 job's some work just one and work 80 hours a week. We are not racist we just want everyone to do their fair share. My city is overrun with illegals. My city is also going broke. Police, Fire, EMS, schools and the hospitals are all taking care of them and they are not paying anything back into the city. They expect the same treatment just as I would get by being a taxpayer but they do not want to give the same back.

It's not about color. Ask me to come into Mexico. They sure wouldn't give me the same treatment you get here.

May 17, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Stevareeno

Why is it that when the US wants to enforce its immigration laws it is being racist and bigoted, yet when Mexican police yank people off trains, beat them with clubs, and make them walk back into Guatemala. they are protecting Mexico's best interests? There is a reason why illegal immigration should be illegal. There is a very good reason why the United States should enforce those laws. And by the way, my father did those jobs that all us lazy rich white folks wont do anymore. I did them also. I would like for my grandchildren, and greatgrandchildren to do them. It builds character. It gives you something to work out of. Those jobs exist in every country. Leave us ours so we can raise our children correctly.

May 17, 2010 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
    • el magnifico

long time ago a philosopher said that religious people were like: A blind man in a dark room – looking for a black hat which isn't there.........sometimes I think that racist people who love finding any excuse to diminish other human beings are trapped in the same room
      el magnifico has spoken again

May 17, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • c67302

To el magnifico. I just have one question for you. Are you here legally? If so, why not protect YOUR new country. The great country of The United States of America. Pleae encourage your fellow mexicans to be legal. Thats all we ask! And as far as working 2 jobs, for your info, for years I worked 3 jobs at on time. And my family came from Germany legally!

May 17, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Real World

This has nothing to do with race. I seriously doubt the F16 pilots were able to determine the ultralight's pilots skin color. This has to do with people attempting to illegally cross into the US. Those people are of all colors and races. Stop trying to turn this into a race thing.

May 17, 2010 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
    • W141

El Magnifico..... you have misunderstood this article thus causing a debate about immigration. This person on this ultralight was not just trying to enter the country to find a better job. He most likely had the intention of dropping off his load of drugs for someone else to pick up on this side. This tactic has been used by drug smugglers for over a year now as it becomes more and more difficult to "hump" the 100lb pack. By the way is this the type of jobs you are refering to " Americans won't do". All the pro criminal groups never talk about the hundreds of tousands if not millions who come here and have a much longer criminal history than I do or anyone I know for that matter.

May 17, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
    • el magnifico

o W141

although not everybody disagrees with my approach, specially after reading the other two postings that follow
      but like a great philosopher said: I can't give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure, and that is.............try to please everybody

May 17, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
    • W141

Honestly... I have read some other of your posts on here and you keep refering to jobs americans won't do. I have lived in southern AZ for about 5 years and do you know who is greatly affected by illegals coming here to do jobs americans won't do. It's the people who came here legally that are also doing those jobs. These people don't have a problem doing the jobs and love the help but they don't and will never get paid what they should get paid because there is always an illegal ready to step in and work for next to nothing. I know plenty of people who have had to sacrifice and wait to come to the US legally. They work in fields picking veggies or farming. They are happy to do it and so are alot of people but if an illegal can come here and cut the wages in half who do you think the corps. are going to hire. What do you say to those people who are brown, black, white, yellow blue that do these jobs but wish they got paid a little more but cant because all the illegals will undercut their wages?

May 17, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Yeahright

El Magnifico? More like El Pendejo...

May 17, 2010 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
    • James

Just another dumb mexican.

May 17, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Brandon,

MSN Money had a great article some time ago about the realities of the economic situation. Essentially, if every illegal were expelled from the country, it would cost the United States tens of billions of dollars in lost revenue.

May 17, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert

But it will give the rightwing nutcases the excuse so they can say see Obama failed, The economic crash that will come if you remove all illegals. That lost revenue// lost taxes will have to be made up somewhere and expect higher taxes for everyone. Fact is they put more into the system than they will ever get out of it.

But just like Hitler rightwingers want the easy blame game even if it isnt working in real life

May 17, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Real World

Stopping robbery, theft, and murder will also cost the economy billions of dollars because of all the security, insurance, bail-bond, and lawyers that will be out of work so let's just look the other way and legalize all crime while we are at it. On the other hand, there are currently a half-dozen US citizens for every illegal immigrant. If anything, getting rid of all those who are illegally taking our jobs will put more legal citizens and immigrants to work, which is good for everyone.

May 17, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Real World

Oops, left out a word

"currently a half-dozen US citizens " -> "currently a half-dozen unemployed US citizens"

May 17, 2010 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
    • D.Allen

I respect a great deal of the views I have seen here. But honestly...the bottom line is – The reason Mexican people are coming to America is because they want a better life for themselves. It is very very unfortunate that the econimic conditions in Mexico drive people to leave their country. With that being said, I served in the Air Force for 10 years and lived in Europe and was fortunate to be able to travel a great deal and witnessed this fact. If you are not a citizen of any country...you must carry your ID with you at all times...period. That is the way it is in all countries in the world. I don't understand why we don't enforce that here? Arizona is trying and all heck is breaking loose? Also...a country without laws is a receipe for disaster! We have to have laws. I am very sorry to say this...but if a person is in the country illegally...it is just that guys...illegal. I is really ashame that I have to apologize for saying something that is the truth...I mean..it is the law. Yes Mexican people have traditionally performed jobs that people say others won't do. I think that is more of in the past. Yes Mexicans are still working in fields and things of that nature...but now days...other people will do that work. They need jobs! I saw that Arizona's unemployment numbers went down ever since this new law was signed off on. WOW! If that is true...that proves my point. I know it seems cruel...but the law is the law. Those individuals had to know that one day this would happen. Couldn't they have applied 10-12 years ago...by now wouldn't a great deal of the hard working decent folks have an ID?...or they would at the least be in the process of acquring an ID. I don't know...but again. The law is the law. If you are here illegally...it's illegal.

May 17, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • el magnifico

American Patriots low paying jobs are there for you, please take them all, so no illegals have to come and do it for you. I would like to see you working in the farming fields picking vegetables to feed your own family. You have to realize that we might be a nuclear power, and the strongest economy in the world, but we still need to eat things that grow in the dirt. Farming is the soft underbelly of this country. Everybody wants to be captain, nobody wants to be a sailor, somebody has to do the manual labor. If our families aren't having enough kids, our population is growing older, and our kids are walking away from farm labor, then who is left to do the work that still needs to be done. Do I smell brown skin in our future, or maybe we should return to slavery...... lets ask the black people, but this time say please.
      el magnifico, rides again

May 17, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • El Diablo

Your actually a moron. Seem to be brown and proud type activist. Not a problem just don't hate when it rains. Press 1 for English, Press 2 for Deportation.

May 17, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • El Diablo

shameonarizona

That would be Cherokee, Choctaw, Apache and Sioux, Not Aztec...Get your facts correct.

May 17, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
    • danny

Must of the people here need a little reading to do about history; and they might find out that all those "ilegal" immigrants are not illegal; as they are native americans that used to be the native people from those towns; like arizona, california, new mexico, and were taken away by a fake war, just like iraq- so they could excuse the colonizing and stealing ignorant peasants from their land (for ex, california; was taken because its gold, texas because the oil and water) and so on.... what is illegal? who is right or wrong- first of all must read some history; i guess first of all you people need to learn where you come from- as if you read a paper of 1700 you should see what the used to say about irish, german, Russians etc all you illegal immigrants

May 17, 2010 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
    • The Texan

Sorry, you cant lump Texas into your so called history lesson. Texas was its own country prior to becoming a state. Texans (not Americans) fought Mexico and won its freedom. It would still be its own country if it were not for its deep debt. Also note, it was the Spaniards who infiltrated Mexican lands. If you want to gripe point it towards Spain.

May 17, 2010 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • janelane

It isn't called stealing when we paid Mexico 25 million for the southwestern states. second, mexicans don't have more right to this land here. they're from tribes south of the border. my tribe fought with the united states to oust those tribes and mexico. if the the western land was going to go back to anyone, it would go back to the tribes that are from here. but we're happy and assimilated. mexicans: don't you dare try to come here and claim land on my behalf. you weren't a friend to me or my tribe back way when and you aren't now. go fix your own country.

May 17, 2010 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
    • CJ

The writing on the Statue of Liberty says:

Give me your tired, your poor,
      Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
      The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
      Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
      I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

May 17, 2010 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
    • ElGuero

Seems to me this ultralight was bringing cocaine / marijuana into the country since we are the ones who are crack addicts in this hemisphere. Doubt "Illegals" would parachute down from a plane...

May 17, 2010 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Stephen--you know--an actual American

Clearly, we should have broadcast over their radio a cease and desist and/or return to your freakin' country type of command. We then should have given them 3-5 minutes to correct their course (with instructions in English and Spanish as in the previous message) to correct their course or be shot down on-the-spot. I then would have recorded the event in order to show on televisions to other nations of the world what happens when you come here illegally and are non-compliant to following our laws. A simple phrase would be "common sense" or "safety" whenever you decide to listen to those armed F-15 fighter pilots following you. Thanks and have a nice day. Ka-POW!

May 17, 2010 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Hector

isn't it america that wants everybody in the world to have their life style? So why do they get mad when people come over here to get it? And to the person that said that immigrants come over here to make money and then send it to another country, that is what every person in this country is doing already, that's why gmc is being beat by toyota

May 17, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Other Canadian

@ Canadian – Ya, ok, except Alexa's European immigrant ancestors legally complied with the LAW & red tape making them LEGAL IMMIGRANTS which are completely different than ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. I get that we are all immigrants, blah blah blah our country is made up of and built by immigrants blah blah blah.. but some of us have more respect for due diligence than ILLEGAL BORDER JUMPERS!!!! GET OUT YOUR PAPERS!!!!

May 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

To el magnifico, Mexican immigrants aren't the issue. We don't have a problem with anyone wanting t come here. The problem lies with those who come across illegally. If Mexicans want to come to America, fine. But do it legally like OUR immigrant ancestors did. THATS all we're asking. Illegal immigrants want to come here, take our jobs without paying their fair share of taxes, they want free health care that WE have to pay for. They want welfare benefits that WE have to pay for, free education that WE pay for. Yet they contribute NOTHING to American society. They take but give nothing back. That's the issue, that's why we're angry. And that's also why American citizens are dangerously close to taking matters into their own hands and fighting back.

July 9, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • elitesack

what if you get with reality and quit judging white people because of some california based soap operah television show?

July 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Carlos

ehhh it was me, i lik to collect welfare and food stamps , live yhe amiricin dreem .,, yo no wat i mean

May 16, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Will

Drug related?

May 16, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Stan

It's amazing the level of racism that's still prevalent in the American society, reading the comments in here is enough to turn the stomach of a noble man. This is why I believe racism doesn't stem from ignorance as many would like to believe. Thos who comment in here are educated, have good jobs, have a family, and for the most part are considered "loving people" by their friends and family, yet they make the most abhorrent comments you would ever read.

The only thing that can save humanity from this evil of racism is – if an agressive race of aliens invade and subject everyone to annihiliation and slavery, only then can we value the chance we've had to live in harmony.

May 16, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nate

See my comments to El Magnifico. It is hardly racist to want to care for one's countrymen before others.

May 17, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Shadow

Well, not racist, but certainly tribalist. When are people going to figure out that we're one species on one planet?

May 17, 2010 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Ron

True we could do without racist comments. But there is nothing racist about wanting someone to APPLY for a Visa and WAIT for a response and ACCEPT it if your application is not approved. If you are legally approved then WELCOME to America. Sneaking across our border is not a RIGHT. It is not racist to want you to STOP sneaking across the border or hiding in a container ship or parachuting in from near outer space because it is all ILLEAGLE entry. The bottom line is like or not most illeagle immigrants will use more resorces than they bring and no society can sustain that forever.

May 17, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • The TRUF

You know how they thin the herds for deer? Maybe they can do that for Mexicans? I say we start illegal chain gangs. If you are caught, you spend 5 years on a chain gang working your ass off. THEN you get deported. A second time is 10 years on the illegal chain gang. They also can: wash dishes, landscape government buildings and roads, make things, pick lettuce and tomatos, bust rocks, dismantle cars, drywall. The uses are endless......

May 17, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Hoog

When is the govt gonna realize the terrorists use this border too. Not until the people make our politicians afraid.

May 16, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hoog

racism works both ways.

la reconquista
    mecha
    la raza

need I mention more?

May 16, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • The TRUF

Don't forget the other side, the NAACP

May 17, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. RufusVonDufus

Only two F-16's left the ultalight with a big advantage didn't it? Maybe sis of eight of those assault helicopters would have been better for shadowing that intruder. I am sure the gatling guns would have done the job.

May 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RufusVonDufus

Stan,

Enforcement of our current immigration laws by Obama's administration would also end a lot of the perceived racism on this subject. Just because no other president enforced the laws doesn't give Obama a pass. It is time to rid ourselves of these perpetual law breakers and cleanse our society. Do you have any idea how many people Hoover, Truman and Eisenhower deported to cleanse society? I think not.

May 16, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jason

Why did they let the Ultra-lite return to Mexico. They should have forced it to crash, killing the pilot. That way we avoid the trial and keep and destroy any drugs that were being brought into the country.

May 16, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • cristina

wow jason. you are truly ignorant. people like you are the reason the world thinks americans are stupid. you're making us all look bad..

May 17, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert

If it moves shoot it, doesnt that solve everything? oh wait we finally got rid of Bush and his bandits

May 17, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • The TRUF

That's VERY sound advice Jason. He came into American Airspace, thats invading and causing a threat to our country. What if he was muslim? or more importantly, what if it was a TEST to see what we would do................

May 17, 2010 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. indigenous

We are not Immigrants, we are Indigenous People, that is why we call ourself Raza, because WE ARE THE PEOPLE, the FIRST NATION PEOPLE, ABORIGINAL AND INDIGENOUS PEOPLE of this land.
    There is NOTHING Racist about "reconquest", it is only taking back what was stolen in the first place by White people.

May 16, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

If you have any Spanish blood in your veins you are not indigenous to the Americas.

May 17, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Mick

As someone who is from Spain, I can say Mexicans are not true Hispanics. Hispanic literally means from Spain and refers top people of the Iberian peninsula (Spain, Portugal, Southern France). Mexicans are Indians that speak Spanish. I don't understand why this confusing to Americans. When I visit American, some Americans are confused why I have blue eyes and blond hair, but speak Spanish. Some countries eradicated Indigenous people like Argentina and are mostly made up of europeans, others like Mexico are made up of mostly Indigenous people.

May 17, 2010 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
    • John Aurand

Your kidding right? Aboriginal, if you wish to use that term, refers to the Native Americans not those of Hispanic origin. Since the whole concept is BS, your arguement is crap. So call aboriginal peoples came from Asia not from Mexico, or Spain via Mexico, thus, really no such thing as aboriginals orindigenous just the latest.

If you have such a problem living in the USA I would recommend that you leave. If you enjoy living in the USA but find "rules" not to your liking I would recommend either you work for change or get yourself elected but spouting crap like what you are is only going to lead to more hate.

May 17, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Cherokee

Uh kinda fuzzy on time frame here but didnt mexico LOSE THE WAR with the US thefore giving up the rights to AZ CA NM andTX? Half my family is Cherokee other half german jews who immigrated legally in 1939. Of course the fact that they were being killed for their beliefs may have been the main reason, but they came here LEGALLY .

May 17, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jason

NORAD intercepts an ultralight from Mexico, but they couldn't intercept any of the four airplanes on 9/11?

May 16, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Owen

That is probably the dumbest comment of all time. The policies and procedures changed after 9/11. Use your brain.

May 16, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donkey Dan

Owen, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

May 17, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. bacuss

So jets are scrambled to chase 1 ultralight?
    Uh, why isn't the same on the spot action happening when people drive or run across the boarder?
    A truck can take a lot more material / drugs / people than an ultralight.

Sounds kinda dumb.

May 16, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • christian

So what you are saying is that if a vehicle crosses the boarder with potential drugs or illeagals they should send out fighter jets to chase them? what the hell are you smoking?
      and an airplane is far more threatening then random illegals jumping over the boarder....

a lot of American territory along the boarder are desert areas, sand dunes etc... catching people there is a pain in the behind... 1000s of people try to cross it every day, and i agree more arrests should be made.. but its dangerous and the boarder stretches for 100s of miles

May 17, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • slowfly

I don't think this was a drug runner. I think it was the mexican airforce.

May 17, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • RufusVonDufus

Yea, slowfly, and that ultra-light was their newest technological achievement. Jason was right!

May 17, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. AreYeDaft

I see Stan is drinking the koolaid. What the heck do you know abut racism...goofy little white boy.
    Ultralights can't carry enough people orpot to make any money – but cocaine? Oh yeah.

May 16, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jerry

Have you ever heard of "La Reconquista"? MEChA? LaRaza? Odds are, if you aren't a raging bigot or a member of the Minutemen Project, you probably haven't heard of them at all. But perhaps its time to learn about it. After all, notions of "La Reconquista" are being used to fuel racism and promote vigilantism in America.

You see, La Reconquista is a theory which contends that Mexico and Latin America, at large, are conspiring to reconquer the American southwest. However, unlike some other conspiracies, the proponents of La Reconquista offer no piece of evidence to support their accusations other than the fact that many Latin Americans are entering into the country. (Curiously, was the influx of Irish immigrants in the 1860's proof of a secret Irish invasion to conquer America? Oh wait, those guys were white....my bad.)

Relying on good ole' fashion American xenophobia and redneck bigotry, groups like the Minutemen Project are espousing the notion of "La Reconquista" to get xenophobicaly minded and perhaps bigoted people to support their cause. And what, you may be asking, do the Minutemen people want to do with the people who illegally cross the border into the United States?

Shoot them, of course!

You see, if you can convince nationalistic xenophobic racists that their country is being invaded by the brown man for an eventual conquest of America, murder is justifiable because 'we are at war against the invaders'. Brilliant scapegoating, wouldn't you say?

This is why it's important to understand the Reconquista pitch, because they use it to create a heightened state of emergency.

May 16, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Are you from Mexico? It sounds like you are. You are the type who dislikes law enforcement of any kind By the way, did you hear a rancher was recently killed by an illegal? Just because people are in favor of law enforcement does NOT mean they are racist bigots. I sense hatred of law enforcement in your letter. I say secure our borders before all the drug cartels invade the southwest bringing their crime with them. I read today that Juarez had two shootings,
      with beheading following torture. That is a dire contrast from American values, I don't care what party you belong to or what city you live!

May 17, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. Richard Penny

'live in harmony', Stan? Which netherword do you live in? Try to go to Mexico illegally? You'd be in prison hell there! Try to go to Australia illegally? Try to go to China, or Russia, or Boatswana........Our laws are too lax and illegal immigration cost US taxpayers billions of dollars. All that happens to get assylum in the USA is a claim that you are being persecuted in your country and the courts give you a appearance date and you get OR'ed and don't show up for court date and disappear in America.
    The biggest reason illegals physically here already hate the tougher stand on illegal immigration is that it would empower law enforcement to investigate further into the status of someone's citizenship. If you are legal, show 'em the proof and head for your destination......not a big deal! If you are illegal, it will also show up.
    Why is everyone trying to marry a US citizen.......not their money! It's the paper that gives them the right to stay, vote, make money and send it out of our country. Who is the heaviest users of MoneyGram and WesternUnion? Illegals! Who is the biggest burden on heath care facilities, illegals! Who are the least contributors to American society? Illegals!
    Joe Arapio should be the Director of Homeland Security!

May 16, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |