May 16th, 2010

NORAD: U.S. jets intercept ultralight plane from Mexico

Two F-16 military fighter jets intercepted an ultralight aircraft that flew into Arizona from Mexico on Sunday and tracked it until the ultralight returned to Mexico, the North American Aerospace Defense Command said.

A statement by the NORAD command center in Colorado said the ultralight crossed into U.S. airspace just after 6 a.m. Arizona time (9 a.m. ET).

The F-16s were launched to intercept it, and they shadowed it for 30
minutes before the ultralight returned to Mexico, according to the NORAD
statement. No other details were immediately available.

Post by:
Filed under: Mexico
  1. canuck

Anyone can argue about "historical rights",the fact of the matter is the governing laws at present.You are a citizen or a person of legal status eg.visitors visa,or landed immigrant.This arguement is just idealism and propoganda.

May 16, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. legal immigrant

My family brought me here years ago....legally. It was a long and difficult process. The first thing my mother did when she settled here was sign up for night school and learned the language. both of my parents got jobs, got paid legally, always paid their taxes, never got arrested, and I learned to follow suit. In essence, we became Americans, but never relinquished our European culture at home. Today's children don't seem to be able to master the English language any better than their parents and I think that may be because it is mandatory that they have Spanish speaking teachers, signs, etc. In my opinion, that is only a hinderance. I still don't understand how any person from any foreign country can get a driver's license if they can't read English. Later, when I got married, our friends were Mexican migrant workers. We were especially close to one family and I will always remember their warmth and kindness. And they were here legally. But the image of a Mexican American has changed drastically. Since those days the gang problem has gotten out of hand and so many illegal immigrants turn out to be criminals. As I see it, they are not taking jobs that Americans don't want, they are working these jobs because they are getting paid far less under the table. But they make up for it with free health care and other perks such as not paying any taxes on their earnings. I think this is what so many Americans are upset about and I suppose a lot of them are setting up shop in the southwest selling drugs. The key word here is "illegal."

May 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keith1952

I pay the Mexican men that work for me from 9 to 15 dollars per hour. I don't know where you will find cheep labor in my town. The men standing on the corner waiting for work ask for 10 dollars per hour. Maybe they take advantage of them in some places, I don't know all I do know about is here.

May 16, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Todd

All of your comments are a complete waste of time, especially those of you on soapboxes. Go do something more productive, such as anything else at all.

May 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Armed

do me a favor ... jump MY fence .. see where that gets ya 🙂

May 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • ucentrist

What would it get me? A reason to burn your fence?

May 16, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Darwin

It doesn't matter who was "here first" or who is here later.

All that matters is survival of the fittest.

There will always be conquests of one population over another in different ways... it's just part of how biology works. Get over it.

If you're trying to figure out about "who was here first" or "why it matters" you're wasting your time and living in the past.

Get with the times and deal with what's here now.

Unfortunately for those who are "illegal" the law of the land here is the law of USA. If you're not happy with it then stop coming here.

May 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. NEHicks

@indigenous:
    According to the New World migration model, a migration of humans from Eurasia to the Americas took place via Beringia, a land bridge which connected the two continents across what is now the Bering Strait. The most recent point at which this migration could have taken place is c. 12,000 years ago, with the earliest period remaining a matter of some unresolved contention.[3][4] These early Paleo-Indians soon spread throughout the Americas, diversifying into many hundreds of culturally distinct nations and tribes.[4] According to the oral histories of many of the indigenous peoples of the Americas, they have been living there since their genesis, described by a wide range of traditional creation accounts. YOU ARE NOT INDIGENOUS TO THE AMERICAS – NORTH, CENTRAL AND SOUTH! YOU INVADED THE SAME WAY THAT COLUMBUS, THE VIKINGS, THE ENGLISH AND THE EUROPEANS INVADED NORTH AMERICA.

May 16, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • ucentrist

There is a difference between migration following food and colonization that leads to ethnic cleansing and genocide that then becomes a supported policy of a government.
      Is your information is based on national geographic articles from the 70's? Not all indigenous, yes that is the correct word, migrated here from Asia. But I would not expect someone who only knows what they have been told, to know. Often if you ask someone where they came from they will tell you.
      Besides, what does your point suggest?
      As I read many of these postings I see the ugly underbelly of American centrist education and bigoted approach to problems that have realistic and universally benifitting

May 16, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bob

I guess the whole format changed for me in the middle of this discussion. I couldn't find any post button though, but clicking my email and hitting enter worked. Maybe it's just an error on my end, but if not, CNN, how about a POST button, yeah?

May 16, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. E

Loud Noises!

May 16, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jim chapman

It really doesn't matter whose land it was historically. People who refuse to accept the geopolitical construct of the 21st century world have no valid argument. We now live in the 21st century, We all must accept the present day laws, and not use the historical wrongs for invalidating present day laws. Moreover, it's really a specious argument to use historical wrongs to justify willful violation of laws that have been established by sovereign nations.
    The present immigration laws of the United States have been agreed upon by all citizens of every race, creed, ethnicity, and religion.If humanity consistently used historical wrongs to justify the means to an end, then there would really be no civil cohesion. Individuals and groups such as La Raza would be taking matters into their own hands in order murder, rob, and pillage. These people who advocate violation of U.S. immigration law refuse to live in a civil society.

May 16, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Texan

I don't mind our hard working friends from the south being here a bit. As far as AZ goes they are right and is a simple matter of law that they are right. I think all border states but CA will follow suit at some point unless the fed does their job. I think we give them work visas and collect their fair of taxes. Everybody's happy, but the borders must be secured, period.

May 16, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bob

I notice the flow of comments have vastly dropped since this topic changed over to the different format. There's an invisible post button below the left side of the comment box. Or, you can click the email box and press enter.

May 16, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. matt

I think every one of you has missed the point. It very well may have been illegal immigration, but what NORAD sees is a plane without clearance flying into the country. It could have been an errant joy ride. It could have been immigration. It could have been drugs. It could have been terrorism. For those talking about immigration, open your minds. To those complaining about the cost of scrambling the Air Force, open yours too. You don't know all the information because all you're reading is what a few reporters were able to find out about this situation. Before commenting, take a minute to play devil's advocate with your first opinions.

May 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ALEJANDRO

It is inevitable, America will turn brown........South America, Central America, Mexico and now the great melting pot nation

May 16, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • K M

You wish....

May 16, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Patrick

Nice to know they don't have stealth technology yet.

May 16, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Doug W.

The ACLU will probably be all over this....no...they don't need a legitimate reason.

May 16, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |