May 18th, 2010

Accused Somali pirate to appear in New York court

A Somali suspect accused of trying to hijack a U.S. vessel is scheduled to be in New York courtroom Tuesday.

Abduwali Abdukhadir Muse is accused of trying to hijack the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama in the Indian Ocean in April 2009. He is also charged with in two additional hijackings.

Muse is expected to be present at a pretrial hearing Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET in a federal court in New York, according to court documents.

Muse faces charges including piracy; seizing a ship by force; kidnapping and hostage taking - along with charges of possessing a machine gun in the commission of other offenses. If convicted, he faces a maximum penalty of life in prison.

The Maersk Alabama was attacked about 350 miles off the Somali coast, authorities have previously said. Muse allegedly demanded that the ship be stopped, then he and others allegedly took a life boat and held the captain of the ship - Capt. Richard Phillips - hostage on it.

Post by:
Filed under: Justice • Somalia • U.S. • World
  1. old vaudevillian

Desperate times cause for desperate measures. I say send him to work cleaning up the gulf coast oil spill or helping out haitians. Also, for those of you who complain about the money it is required to send him to college, don't you guys know how much taxpayer money prisons cost? Which one is better having a productive citizen or a tax burden? Think first, emotions later.

May 18, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Arrrr!!!!

Here they come in their small boats
    Why cant they just heard their Goats
    Looking for a ransom telling us to pay
    With us responding with a 12 gage
    Why they dont learn we shall never know
    Its a slow news day so lets give it another go

May 18, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. steve802

He will be laughing his way to the US jail. Finally, his wish of living in a western country came true. Did you see the picture when he was apprehended by the US Arm Forces? He was smiling and looked extremely happy. Trying him in NY court? Oh my! its like welcoming party for him. What NY court should do is to banish him to Guantanamo and let him rot there.

May 18, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. Arrrr!!!!

New York Jail is were i want to be
    All the pirates will only see
    That they all want to be me
    One day i had droped the soap
    All from there was all but a mess
    Its all but good as i wear a dress
    I'm now some ones B***ch
    And now i will always Itch

May 18, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. Hisbuf

Pirates are normally supported by a nation or country that protects them (provides a harbor) and in return share in the loot. In this case the Somali people are the culprits. You can chase pirotes from now until dooms day but until we face the fact that to stop them we must confront the source. This is what is being avoided by the western countries at this time. Eventually we (or some western country) will invade the Somali people and destroy the "nest"

May 18, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. JG

So terrorist go to Guantanamo, and pirates go to Manhattan?? I would assume they were all in the same catergory. What's the difference between a terrorist training camp and a pirate controlled port?? And why would he get life in prison HERE?? No deportation or anything? Seems like such a waste of time, space and money. Someone please help me put the pieces together of this tragic comedy...

May 18, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. JohnDgX

it depends on were they want him...It could be either Guantanamo or NY but at this point i would think it would be Guantanamo (No Doubt).

These "People" in the world not only the pirates need to grow up and act thier age. If any criminal or past criminal looking at this should know if you got a family you should be that Dad / Mom and take care of yours. People dont have money to stay clean of crimes? Thats Bull.. I was a Criminal once and had 3 kids and was a singal parent. I worked 2 Jobs and had 2 kids in school and 1 kid home with me. I got offerd to take a job in PA and became a hard worker in Trade... I went to school again and meet a girl i fell in love with known as my wife now. We are now both buisness owners and we donate to people less wealthy. I went back to wear i started it all and helped re build my old communitie. So tell me that one person cant make a change in their life. It cant be hard to do you got to look at your loved ones and push your self through the constant pain but all in all you will welcome what you accomplished in the near future.

May 18, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. steve802

Arrrr!!!! Please give us a break! Go play somewhere else.

May 18, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. Dave Althaus

This poor man should be given a lifetime pension and therapy for the terror he suffered at the hands of the Navy Seals when they killed his best friends. We Americans need to put him up in lavish digs and see to his every need and hope that he will forgive us for interrupting his work and source of income.

Shame on us for not loving and understanding the pirates! In fact, let's bring them all here and put them on our welfare rolls. Free medical care...free education...free food...free everything! Who knows, maybe we could hire a caterer to take the food to them.

I'm not being sarcastic, folks......just trying to get along with the new administration and the liberal weenies in the Congress. Love and peace and endless discussions.....forever!

Semper Fi,
    Dave

May 18, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. Arrrr!!!!

I dont want to eat them in a tree
    I dont want to eat them were you can see
    I dont want to Sam i am
    I dont want to eat your green eggs and ham....( Thank you Dr.Sues )

Ferwell My lads Ah Harrrrr!!!!

May 18, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. Robert

There are two ways of dealing with piracy:

A. Torpedo their boat
    B. Capture the pirates and take them on board. Line them up on the side of the ship and have them face the sea and their hands on top of their heads. Then, fire a bullet into the back of their heads.

Either way, the problem is solved.

May 19, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |