May 18th, 2010

Allegations about Blumenthal's military service rock race

A New York Times story alleging that Democratic candidate Richard Blumenthal lied about serving in Vietnam added fuel to a contentious Connecticut senate race Tuesday.

Blumenthal's campaign criticized the story as an "outrageous distortion," while political opponents demanded answers.

"The New York Times story is an outrageous distortion of Dick Blumenthal's record of service," campaign manager Mindy Myers said. "Unlike many of his peers, Dick Blumenthal voluntarily joined the Marine Corps Reserves in 1970 and served for six months in Parris Island, SC and six years in the
reserves. He received no special treatment from anyone."

The New York Times story says Blumenthal, who is currently Connecticut's attorney general, never served in Vietnam but said he did in several speeches before veterans groups and military families. The story also claims that it appears that Blumenthal did nothing to correct numerous media profiles that
described him as a Vietnam veteran.

Reached by phone Monday night, Blumenthal told a reporter that he had always said he was a "Vietnam-era" veteran, and that his intention was always to be straightforward about his military service, according to an article published on the website of the Greenwich Time, a newspaper in Connecticut.

"I've always said that I've served in the Marine Corps Reserve during the Vietnam era. If I said anything otherwise on very rare occasions, I may have misspoken," he said.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. Neutralizer

I don't know what to say, but Democrats has a BAD habit of making their records look good even when they KNEW it's a LIE. Blumenthal has AT LEAST 4 deferments as reported by NYT a liberal print media. The man was a DRAFT DODGER like Bill "Bubba" Clinton. Blumenthal NEVER served in Vietnam; only in his deluded mind. LOL

May 18, 2010 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Martin Borrmann

How can he be a draft dodger if he enlisted? I mean yeah, technically he "dodged" the draft because he volunteered. But I'm assuming that you meant to say he dodged combat duty. But that's cool too, seeing as how it was something like 15% of active duty that was actually fighting. The rest were support or stationed elsewhere during that time period. The Vietnam War era has been misrepresented by all the movies and "vets" on the streets. Yeah, tough time in the 'nam buddy, sitting back in the rear like a typical REMF.

May 18, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
    • A Hermit

A better comparison is G.W. Bush who dodged service in Vietnam by getting his father to jump him to the head of the line for the Texas Air Force reserve and the failed to even complete that service.

Clinton at least was honest about his opposition to the war.

May 18, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rjick Douglas

As a former Marine (68-78) and Vietnam veteran (69-71), this guy and others like him make me want to puke. Also, this article doesn't divulge the details of him receiving 5 deferments before loosing his special status and then joining the reserves. I have no grudge against anyone not wanting to fight, but to fabricate history is a tremendous dis-service to those of us who did. Anyone with this lack of morality does not deserve to be a representative of the people.

May 18, 2010 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mike

Take him for what he is: a narcissistic politician who loves themselves more than anything that's bent on getting as many votes as possible, whatever the cost. It's on the people in Connecticut if they actually believe the drivel coming from the hole in his face. I see these neo-Cons on here beating the "Lie Drum" at this guy without taking stock of the clowns they venerate daily and looking at their service records (or lack thereof). As a supporter of the current administration, Iraq War Veteran (not 'era', I was actually there), and a voter I wish this fool would save everyone a headache and bow out of the race. Blumenthal is nothing but a clown putting on a show. He either A) lied about his service which should brand him as a fraud, or B) truly misspoke about his service (those memories tend to stay with a person) which should be a sign of the mental capacity this guy has.

Both sides are guilty of trying to make themselves look better; they have to sell themselves as some type of product to be endorsed and purchased. In the end they've all sold their own souls, and with it some piece of national dignity for us all. How about making the first disqualifying aspect of a potential candidate the act of seeking the candidacy in the first place? That would save everyone a lot of trouble and outrage.

May 18, 2010 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. CPT Obvious

Hey now, there's crocodiles around Parris Island. It was dangerous.

May 18, 2010 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Madison

Vietnam-era is a legal category of status for EEO tracking.

May 18, 2010 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. Retired CAPT(USN)

Looks a LOT like GWBush's "military service" to me....a little training, a lot of time off, no enemy fire anywhere near them. To be fair, they did serve, albeit in a very minor way. Compare to Clinton and Cheney who found ways to get numerous escapes from the requirement to serve in any uniform during the "Vietnam-era."

Bottom line: Do we EVER get the full truth and nothing but the truth from our elected officials? Not very often. But, isn't that our own fault for failing to hold them accountable? Yep it is...

May 18, 2010 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

I got P.Oed by people like Cheney and bush and this guy. I got drafted and I had a 1Y with a 2S kicker with a draft number of 359. I should never have been drafted but I was. All of this is BS.

May 18, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. boohoo56

why won't some things post

May 18, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Retired CAPT(USN)

I'd love to know if those clowns who disrespect honored vets like John Kerry (and, to a much lesser extent, Al Gore who was near the battle lines) if THEY ever subjected themselves to military service. I'm willing to bet a paycheck that answer would be "uh, well, er, NO." Kerry's service was outrageously courageous and his life was very much on the line every day for months on end. You bozo's who fail to give him credit while sucking up to faux-heros Bush/Cheney have no integrity whatsoever. Turn off Fox for a few days and get an education.

May 18, 2010 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. boohoo56

this posting sux. They seem to select what goes on in here

May 18, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. corncop

Oh what wonderful misspeakers politicians make! Among others in the current campaign is a Senate candidate, party, name, and state withheld for practical purposes. (I'll let the media dig their own dirt.) However, this candidate states that he 1) joined the National Guard; 2) was sent to Iraq; and 3) barely survived the carnage to come home to his loving little family. What is glossed over in a soft low voice and very quickly in the tv ad was that he went as a "prosecutor", a lawyer, well-protected and no where near a free fire zone. It does make me sick that these political slugs will play on the patriotic hearts of the voter with their lies and deceit! They should all be run out of town with tar and feathers.

Hey you know I am a vietnam-era almost-draftee. My number was called, but the board met the quota before I was called up. That doesn't make me a vet, nor does it make me a draft dodger. Just a guy who was fortunate enough to miss out on the 70-71 meat grinder.

Come on folks, lets demand honesty from any preson who seeks to hold elective office, be they republican, democrat, or other affiliation. We deserve nothing less. And while we are at it, let's demand meaningful penalties for any person who breaks the public trust, misuses their office, or commits crimes while in office. These sleazeballs drive a stake thru the heart of our nation every time they violate the very foundation of our demoncracy!

May 18, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. boohoo56

bottom line....who cares if this guy served or not. It's not a requirement nor is it prestigious to serve

May 18, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. boohoo56

the military bows to the country not the other way around

May 18, 2010 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. boohoo56

these postings are censored. Freedom of speech my a$$

May 18, 2010 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. boohoo56

what's the matter CNN, you can't handle the truth.

May 18, 2010 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. boohoo56

let's not forget what the military pulled in Iraq. The puppy thrower, the torturers. C'mon, the military is as corrupt as every other federal organization.

May 18, 2010 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |