May 18th, 2010

Earthquake hits Southern California

map

A 5.1-magnitude earthquake struck Southern California on Tuesday evening, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The quake was centered 18 miles west-southwest of El Centro, California,
just north of Mexicali in Mexico's Baja California, the USGS said. It struck at
a depth of 6.3 miles.

"This earthquake is within the aftershock zone of a magnitude 7.2 (earthquake) that occurred on April 4" near Mexicali, said Susan Potter of the USGS. "This is an area that was exposed to many large earthquakes in the past."

At least two people were killed and 100 injured in the April 4 quake.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake
  1. ag

The above conversation shows that nobody is interested in how to react to an important natural catastrophe. All most Americans can do is react like morons or school children showing their ignorance, bad and poor education and ridiculous snobbery. Mexicans are 2000 times more educatd than all you incredibly and poorly cultured people.

May 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

You really need to red your comment~ As you talk about Americans in general as being uneducated, and "poorly cultured", you appear to be about 3rd grade level. If it is sooo aweful here, why to you risk your life, and the life of your children to come here? Is this what highly educated and finely cultured people do?

May 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • tuna74

Lisa this guy is a graduate from the grass cutting university.
      I have traveled all over mexico & have many friend's that are Educated Mexican nationals.
      they are happy to be in Mexico They have good job's there.They make good money,They have visa's To travel to the state's.
      And I am American Puerto Rican Latino.
      What they told me it's the uneducated that can't & won't make it in Mexico.
      So instead of getting educated ,It easyer for them to Blame & complain.
      He's here because He can't cut it in his own country.
      They are also happy to get rid of them.

May 19, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
    • jerryrcd

No, Lisa. Highly educated people learn how to spell words like "read" and "awful" and also how to proofread.

May 19, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • tuna74

Lisa don't even respond to mr jerryrcd.
      So maybe your fingers get stuck on the keyboard once in a while.It happens to me all the time at my age.
      I had a secetary & i got paid very well for my thinking not my typeing.
      You are a thinker , I'll take a thinker any day over a proof reader, Keep up the good work.

May 19, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. Trudy

It is either an aftershock from the April 7.2 or a "foreshock" of something larger to come. Either way it is a perfectly natural event, a part of the earth shifting that has been going on since the beginning of its inception. It just is. It is amazing what some will use as a platform to discuss off topic inflammatory topics. Be well all.

May 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Shawn

The clock is ticking!

Ok everyone, how long before Pat Robertson blames this on the gays? I say 4 hours and 17 minutes.

May 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • witchyme

haha....for real.... :o)

May 18, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • dl

Ha! Nice, so true...

May 18, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diego

he be dead already, right?....I reckon.....I be movin back down south where I belong

May 18, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Instgtr

Nahhh, they'll blame it on Bush...

May 19, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. david kingsbury

it was a 4.5 quake ,you know that cnn but that wouldnt scare as many RIGHT ? NEVER THE TRUTH HERE

May 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • efrain

Did not scare me (of course, nothing scares me) after going thru the 7.2 earthquake.

May 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. larry simpson

payback for arizona boycott

May 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • efrain

So you're saying the Republicans caused this earthquake (or maybe Jan Brewer herself).

May 18, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Is tjis the Larry Simpson that use to live in Lynwood ca. and then in San Francisco area?? has 2 sons and 1 daughter and a sister somewhere in Tenn.??? if so please drop me a line

Love a cousin in California

May 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Native American

Are you Homer's brother?? Doh!!! or Dumb!!!

May 19, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Carl

I'm in Sacramento, didn't feel nothing obviously.

May 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Krissy

it's now been downgraded to a 4.5

May 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dennis

That idiot saying"too bad it wasn't the big one" ought to have the #@*^%& kicked out of him!..It was centered near Mexicali,Baja,Calif.but the closest Calif.city would be Calexico,which is about midway between San Diego,Ca. and Yuma,Az.

May 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • crich1979

Don't worry December 21, 2012 will be the day we won't have to worry about stupid stuff. The earthquakes and tsunami and solar flare will happen, we won't have to worry about stupid people making comments, illegal aleins in the country or taking time to write stupid comments on a news blog!

May 18, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tammy

Joe, I think I'm in love with you. What state are you in?

May 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patty

yeah JOe and Tammy belong together...they both need attention....all they can think of in a time of natural disaster is hatred toward human beings....one day you'll need someone and guess what....

May 18, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Thomas

5.1 is barely even noticable in my part of SoCal

May 18, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sdstarman

In San Diego and felt it. Nice reminder of how little we are in the grandest scheme of things.
    (oddly enough, I haven't heard the rumble noise before any of the quakes I felt in this sequence of quakes)

May 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. crich1979

oh i can't wait until December 21, 2012. That day I hope the scentist are right. We won't have to worry about illegal people or stupid laws are anything. If they are correct, we will have eathquakes, and destruction to the earth.....Then I won't have to worry about reading stupid comments on news stories!

May 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clint

What time? I want to set my clock so I don't miss it, Eastern or Pacific standard/

May 18, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • crich1979

Don't worry you won't miss it. It's really ashame that we have one of the worst countries like the USA to live in. To bad that we don't have a government like Iraq or someother middle eastern country.

May 18, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

Why wait until 2012? Just turn off your monitor and walk away stupid.

May 19, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. arrowmaker

Could someone tell me how much a bus ticket is from Tucson to L.A.? thanks

May 18, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dee

Read 2 Timothy 3:1-5 where it says these are the signs of the times.

May 18, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Star

I felt a tiny quake in Palm Springs, CA. Checked the news, and sure enough it was a quake. It was mini but made me feel a lil' dizzy =D

May 18, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |