May 18th, 2010

Earthquake hits Southern California

map

A 5.1-magnitude earthquake struck Southern California on Tuesday evening, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The quake was centered 18 miles west-southwest of El Centro, California,
just north of Mexicali in Mexico's Baja California, the USGS said. It struck at
a depth of 6.3 miles.

"This earthquake is within the aftershock zone of a magnitude 7.2 (earthquake) that occurred on April 4" near Mexicali, said Susan Potter of the USGS. "This is an area that was exposed to many large earthquakes in the past."

At least two people were killed and 100 injured in the April 4 quake.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake
  1. Ash

Heard the noise of the the bathroom windows shaking and paused for a second, then things started to shake. as everyone said, it was brief. ohh and I am from SD.

May 18, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Shane

Ahh send the Mexicans up to Canada we take everyone open borders up here. No immigration rules up here lol.

May 18, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Prophetess

God has told His prophets, the blood of the aborted children cry up to His ears. San Francisco will be dumped into the ocean, L.A. will be completely destroyed. The Big One will happen in SoCal before the end of the year.

May 18, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • efrain

see jonathan, Prophetess agrees with me.

May 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin Cantu

Cool......=)

May 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patty

so Prophetess...you think that only S.Cali people had abortions? Please...wake up!!! stop smoking weird stuff...

May 18, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • animatd1

any chance LA getting wiped out ? ... and maybe san fran too ? ... and maybe wherever paris hilton is currently ? Thanks.

May 18, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kevin Cantu

"Arizona's Governor had been stalling, you know, on signing this. She said it did not reflect any ambivalence about the bill. She just wanted to make sure her pool was clean and her lawn was mowed before she signed." —Bill Maher

May 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rocky

Just a small quake. House creeked a little.. California will not "sink" but someday it might be split. Doesn't matter to me, I'll be dead. Try to love and help one another, people. You're all going to need to stick together. Jump start that idea, hey?

May 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. animatd1

didn't feel a thing here in cincinnati .. and btw.... Boycott LA ... AZ is doing the right thing.

May 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • efrain

AZ may think they are doing the right thing, but you know, sometimes people who "do the right thing" are not always rewarded.

May 18, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CurseCali

Let me know when Pacific Palisades falls into the sea... occupants and all... then I'll celebrate...

May 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

It's not falling into the sea it's moving north. Public education (4th grade Geology) isn't all that bad. Not paying attention is bad.

May 18, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jethro jones

I was once in an earth quake in mexico...our into house was destroyed and my little brother was missing for 2 weeks....but he was located at a camp. It was horrible...later we moved to texas and my dad went to work for GM in arlington, tx. thats when my parents box a 3 bed room house on brown street. boy oh boy was that a nice house. this was 15 years ago. my brother is now a decorator in miami, my dad is living in vegas and my mom died. I live in dallas and work for macy's

May 18, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Christina

I live in San Diego. Didn't feel a thing. Didn't even know about it till my mom called from Illinois Worried about me.

May 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mark

Didn't feel anything. But then again, I live in Maryland.

May 18, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Patty

Im going crazy! What does this all mean???? I cal on the Prophetess....

May 18, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

When the grounds a rockin' don't come a knockin!!!

May 18, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Loma

4.5 isn't worth crossing the room for. This is news?

May 18, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cybertroll

BFD.

May 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Captain D

Personally, I like to see real disasters. The BIG ONE would have been great because it's only through true, terrible, horrifying and devastating disasters that the American people come together. So, I'm hoping the oil spill continues to get larger and devastate the coastline's of Florida and Louisiana. I'm hoping this hurricane season will be extremely brutal and devastating because you will then see the true spirit of the American people. It won't be about left and right, tea or coffee, Dem or Repub. It'll be about everyone working together. The only thing that can do that is true disaster and I'm hoping for it to come big and to come fast.

May 18, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patty

leave your number, I'll make sure you're 1st one there! call us for backup...

May 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |