May 18th, 2010

Earthquake hits Southern California

map

A 5.1-magnitude earthquake struck Southern California on Tuesday evening, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The quake was centered 18 miles west-southwest of El Centro, California,
just north of Mexicali in Mexico's Baja California, the USGS said. It struck at
a depth of 6.3 miles.

"This earthquake is within the aftershock zone of a magnitude 7.2 (earthquake) that occurred on April 4" near Mexicali, said Susan Potter of the USGS. "This is an area that was exposed to many large earthquakes in the past."

At least two people were killed and 100 injured in the April 4 quake.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake
  1. deli_gal

When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there.
    George Harrison

May 19, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. Juan

I wish europe would just fall off the face of the earth and suck out all white people with them!

May 19, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. ladybarron

REPENT, FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS AT HAND! DON'T ALLOW SATAN TO TAKE YOUR SOUL!

May 19, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. deli_gal

I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
    Robert Frost

May 19, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. deli_gal

Make Love, Not War
    Unknown

May 19, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • efrain

I think Gershon Legman said that.

May 19, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. ladybarron

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him, shall not parish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His son to condemn it, but that the world would be saved through Jesus Christ.
    John 3:16-

May 19, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. James S.

Wow, shocking how easily a group of people can turn an article about an earthquake into a ridiculous diatribe about racism. And to Lisa: You wishing for the destruction of my state is about the most un-American thing I've ever heard anyone say, and you should be ashamed of yourself. No decent, patriotic American would ever want something so heinous to happen to their country. I hope that some day you can get past whatever traumatic event that happened to make you the person you are. Sad.

May 19, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
    • ladybarron

Exactly! There are too many hateful racist people. I just wonder how they would feel if something awful happened to them and other's would speak racism about them! Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. – WORD OF GOD

May 19, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Whats up

efrain your right! A cleric would have said Allah.
    Think again when it comes to illegals using the internet. They are steeling health care, maybe they are accessing your wireless too. They are not as stupid as Patty thinks I am.
    Patty read your response to me (you stupid) then read again. I never said it happened in LA. Now you stupid!

May 19, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. Juan

How come when a white man looses his job he hangs himself. But when a mexican looses his job he justs finds another duh..

May 19, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
    • ladybarron

Juan – The majority of Mexicans are very hard workers. You seem angry, so don't give the white people or any racist person the satisfaction of seeing you angry.

May 19, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sharon

5.1 is so small. Barley anyone should or would feel it. It was not close to the city. If it is over a 6 you usually feel alight jolt. I think people are making a big deal out of this. Most building now can handle a 6.5+ lower is just simple normal Cali shakes.

May 19, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sharon

Little Jaunito seems to have some issues hahaha. White people sometimes give you jobs you racist. I'm a latina and I am not as ignorant as you and I am proud to say I am a legal American!!!!! Boooya brotha!

May 19, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. Juan

I wasnt born racist..WHITE PEOPLE WERE!! Im not angry BLACK PEOPLE are!! im just a mexican.

May 19, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. Liz

Barely anyone? I and a few others I know felt it. Though it was pretty tiny.

May 19, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Juan

Sharon go make me some tortillas and don't burn em like you did yesterday

May 19, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. musementride

That wasn't a earthquake, that was the Mexicans all whining at once about how they should have American rights as an illegal alien. Viva Los 1070!

May 19, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |