May 18th, 2010

Earthquake hits Southern California

map

A 5.1-magnitude earthquake struck Southern California on Tuesday evening, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The quake was centered 18 miles west-southwest of El Centro, California,
just north of Mexicali in Mexico's Baja California, the USGS said. It struck at
a depth of 6.3 miles.

"This earthquake is within the aftershock zone of a magnitude 7.2 (earthquake) that occurred on April 4" near Mexicali, said Susan Potter of the USGS. "This is an area that was exposed to many large earthquakes in the past."

At least two people were killed and 100 injured in the April 4 quake.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake
  1. Rex

Hopefully, it collapsed some smuggling tunnels.

May 19, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. AZGirl

Geeze, an article about an earthquake turns into a slam fest on the immigration law. Those of you in California who are opposed to the new law in Arizona should look up your own state statue on immigration enforcement. Your's is more strict that the Arizona law. California's law states that anyone who is found to be in the country illegally must be turned over to the California Attorney General and ICE. All I am saying is do your research before spouting off based upon media mis information.

May 19, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
    • efrain

You copied James S., it is called the 1st amendment.

May 19, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Candid One

California's not a comparison to the Arizona situation. It's a non-majority state. As the most populous state (50% more than second place), it has way more US-born latinos than there are people in Arizona, legal or otherwise.

May 19, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

If you knew anything at all about life in California you wouldn't still be living in the middle of a desert with nothing to do but complain about Mexicans ruining your already pathetic life.

May 19, 2010 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. suzy

I live in el centro ca n the earthquakes havent stoped its soooo scary n alot of mobile home fell down and streets cracked open on april 4 and today tuesday may 18 it was a 5.0 earthquakes no reports yet

May 19, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. Juan

If california falls into the ocean...I hope it drags europe down with it.

May 19, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • deli_gal

Juan, I am an Irish American married to a Mexican American. I am extremely offended by this law. My children are half Mexican. Remember that people like me are supporting you and that I am California. I am the majority there. Come to California, where we are not bigots. Live in freedom, viva aqui!

May 19, 2010 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Candid One

Dude, the earthquakes are and have always been because California is moving toward Nevada, not away.

May 19, 2010 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Not sure if you have looked at a world map recently Juan, but Europe and California are on opposite sides of the planet.

May 19, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. 10.0 quake

To all those non-racists out there, please remember Arizona and Alabama this year when you vote. Go Blue!!!

May 19, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. Juan

Deli-gal please I repeat please do not try to make white racism run thru your childrens vains..HOW DARE YOU!!!

May 19, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • deli_gal

Juan, That is not my point. I am not a rascist and no one in my family is either. What I am saying is This is a stupid law.

May 19, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. efrain

@James S and anyone who said something similar, do you know what the first amendment says? or do you just want us to follow your rules about what we should be saying in this article.

May 19, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. neal

Well I kinda had great hopes of Cali finaly falling off in the ocean. But no such luck there yet...Maybe with all the (mescans) flocking toward Cali I figured it would have slid right on in there. :-),,,,

May 19, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. Juan

Deli-gal your a disgrace to your race! Go stand in the corner your punished.

May 19, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. alice

don't joke about wanting a big (10.0) earthquake. you have no idea what people go through.

May 19, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Deepak

Sorry- that was me meditating again- my bad- I am so powerful

May 19, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. deli_gal

PS Juan, by the majority, I did not mean white, I meant compassionate people. Didn't you get my other posts, dude?

May 19, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Celine

OMG people.... you all need to go back to school!
    bunch of freakin retards. this was an earthquake topic, and all i read was about some people hatin on california because they can't live here because they can't afford it. Well F off people. you make me sick.
    and what does the mexican immigrants law has ANYTHING to do with this topic????? are you people smart and brave when it comes to typing only??? whoever you are that's hating on Cali. grow some balls and get on the national TV and say what you just typed... idiots.

May 19, 2010 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. neal

BALLS ,,,,,,,,,, and they also say ....Well I kinda had great hopes of Cali finaly falling off in the ocean. But no such luck there yet...Maybe with all the (mescans) flocking toward Cali I figured it would have slid right on in there. ,,,,

May 19, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. chip

Reading some of the comments not related to the earthquake show me and others that there are serious issues about race in your country and why others refer to Americans" as "ugly americans"

May 19, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Exactly. This makes me sad for my fellow Americans.

May 19, 2010 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |