May 19th, 2010

Obama: Arizona law a 'misdirected' expression of 'frustration'

[Updated at 12:34 p.m.] President Barack Obama said during a meeting Wednesday with Mexican President Felipe Calderon that Arizona's immigration law is a "misdirected" expression of "frustration."

He said his administration is taking a close look at the law, particularly in terms of its civil rights implications.

[Updated at 12:26 p.m.] U.S. President Barack Obama said Wednesday during a meeting with Mexican President Felipe Calderon that the two leaders have agreed to work toward a U.S.-Mexico border that is "modern, secure and efficient."

[Posted at 10:23 a.m.] Mexican President Felipe Calderon said at the White House Wednesday that Arizona's controversial new immigration law is causing "our people to face discrimination."

Calderon made his comments during a news conference held with President Barack Obama.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Immigration • Mexico • U.S.
  1. part 2 of letter

im out of here! (leftist cnn)

May 19, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Howard Yates

Would someone in the media PLEASE report on how Mexico treats those who enter Mexico on its southern border.

How are these persons treated – education, healthcare, ect. I believe such a report would be very interesting, and just may shut-up the bleeding heart liberals who think we are so bad.

May 19, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • DIEGO PATRON

AMERICANS CROSS THE BORDER FOR LESS EXPENSIVE MEDICINE, CHEAP BOOZE, AND TO BUY ILLEGAL DRUGS LIKE COCAINE HEROIN, ETC..... THE USA IS THE LARGEST CONSUMER OF ILLEGAL DRUGS IN THE WORLD (FACT)!!

May 19, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • SupportAZ

The longer this debate continues the more I hate hispanics. Their support for each other, their complete disregard for the laws of the U.S., their demands that Americans accept behavior which would never be accepted in any other nation in the world, the pressure they exert on social services–cheating Americans out of health services, jobs and educational opportunities, the crime they bring and their total lack of appreciation for Americans is just too much. They need to be deported if they are here illegally–with the children they've borne here.

May 22, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. JEEPGUY1985

OUR PRESIDENT SHOULD TAKE ACTION AND REQUIRE ALL STATES TO BE LIKE ARIZONA 🙂

May 19, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. Frank B in Florida

Hey Cadleron – What does Mexico do to illegal immigrants? Why they shoot them, deport them, put them in prison – hey smuck, it the same here.

May 19, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. Turbin Hebo

There is no reason to debate any of this. Doing something illegal is against the law. Period, no if and's or buts. If you came into the United States without proper authorization, you broke the law. It doesn't matter where you came from, what color you are, or what language you speak. You are illegal and need to suffer the concequences, just like all people that break laws. If Obama and the rest of his friends can't even read the damn law, how do they know it's a bad law. That they have said it is without ever having read the law scares the crap out of me and I would imagine most citizens of the U.S.A. Illegals need to be returned to where ever they came from, at their own expense not mine. Sorry, but we all must obey laws.

May 19, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. cameron

he's talking about discrimination against Mexican immigrants who are legal that are now living in the US as American citizens who will be discriminated against. imangine having to carry your passport or something with you at all times because you look mexican or hispanic. its ridiculous.

May 19, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Turbin Hebo

Sort of like what we have to do if we live in Mexico, say as a retiree or someone that is legally in Mexico. One is required to to be able to show they are in the contry legally. It's not profiling or descrimination, it's just making certain you have a right to be there and can show it. If you're legal, it's no big deal. I visit Mexico regularily for extended stays and I always carry my passport, just the same as I do when I'm in Europe or any Asian country. It's just common sense for one contry to know that others in their country are there legally. Again, if you are there legally, you should be happy to show your status. Don't feel discriminated against. Feel safe that your country is making you safer because they ask...they care.

May 19, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

Cameron, here in Arizona, you have to show your birth certificate and a secondary piece of identification such as a social security card, etc. to get a State issued ID or driver's license, so if you are Mexican-American, and get stopped for speeding and they ask you for your ID, the Driver's License is sufficient. And it's against the law here to drive without a Driver's License as I suspect it is in most states, so if ANYONE here is caught doing so, they will be hauled off to jail and have their vehicle impounded. No discrimination. If you are here illegally, you cannot get a State Issued ID or Driver's License.

May 19, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Infadel

Uh Tammy, You are so absolutely wrong its ridiculous. New Mexico and many other states issue drivers licenses and state ids to illeagals all the time. this past winter people in those states were freaking out when Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napalitano said TSA would require more than just a driver's license from those states to pass security on domestic and interantional flights as it was no longer valid proof of citizenship. GOOGLE IT. also get your facts straight before you shoot your mouth off.

May 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

Reply to Infadel.....Um, no I live here in Arizona and work in the auto insurance industry. I have talked to several illegals here about taking their Mexico driver's license in order for them to get insurance on their vehicle, because THEY COULD NOT GET A STATE DRIVER'S LICENSE. Since I have been in the industry for 13 years, pretty sure I know what I am talking about. Last time I checked, Arizona and New Mexico or "several other states" aren't the SAME STATE. What one State does, others may not. Last, I can shoot my mouth off anytime I want to even if I didn't know a thing....it's called FREE SPEECH. Learn to debate. I never have to tell someone to shut up because I know how to debate an issue, plus it shows really how unintelligent you are if you have to resort to telling someone not to say something you can't really respond to.

May 19, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • B Dog

Cameron, I do have to carry driver's lic. social Security card etc. everytime i'm stopped which I might add is very seldom i have to produce them what is wrong with Mexican's have to prove they belong here.NOTHING

May 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommy

As an adult in the USA you are REQUIRED BY LAW that on the date of your majority you shall obtain and carry proof of identification at all time while in public patroled areas. This can be as simple as your birth certificate. Even as an American citizen you can be detained and jailed for failure to show proper identification to a law enforcement official.

May 21, 2010 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Milton Platt

Mexico's immigration laws are more restrictive than the laws in the U.S. We should merely match their laws and treat Mexican immigrants equally.

May 19, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Patriot from the US

The picture says it all, who do you trust, the old guy or the thug wearing his sunglasses

May 19, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chacomom

As an Arizona resident and US citizen married to a Mexican who is a legal immigrant, I can tell you that the road to legal status for my husband was not cheap. I do not like the thought of him being stopped and asked to verify his legal status becuase he looks Mexican. We have Border Patrol checkpoints all over Southern Arizona and do them as required.
    Why not bring back the guest worker program where people can come to work and then go back to their families. What would you do if yo had no job and your family needed to eat? I think you would be going to the place where there is work. And even with the recession, there are still jobs that Mexicans do that many Americans would not at the rate of pay they receive.
    The drug problem is out of control Legalize drugs and the cartels will have to find something else to sell.

May 19, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Turbin Hebo

Legalize drugs. Do you realize what you are saying. Meth, coke and the other hard drugs will never be legal and to suggest to do that shows ignorance bordering on stupidity. The Mexican cartels operate with impunity becasue the Mexican government does not want the money to stop crossing the border. If you really are the wife of a legal immigrant, you should be proud not mad because he has to prove it. Be proud because he can! Not long ago, like less than a year, I remember entering Mexico and having .50 cal machine guns pointed at all of us. That's a great feeling and from what I gather from friends, more and more common in Mexico. We do not do that in the U.S.A. because we have more respect for life and people in general. And rarely do we dismember or decapitate others as a sign of revenge. Again something that is more and more common in Mexico. Yes, the U.S.A. has jobs, food and a better standard of living than Mexico. But waaaayyy back when it did not, we didn't run away from our country we stayed and made it better. Why don't the Mexicans do that instead of illegally entering the U.S.A. Why do they come here and expect us to immediately respect them? Why do they come here and wave the Mexican flag in our faces? Respect is earned and it will not happen if you fail to embrace our way of life. If you slap down our laws our flag our system, you can only expect more disrespect and troubles. I'm sorry to say, but that's just the way it is.

May 19, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kay

Why are you having to worry if you look mexican well because your fellow mexicans are breaking the law blame them!

May 19, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • jean

TO KAY: Are you truly as ignorant and biggoted as you sound? My father would be stopped in Az.
      and he is not MEXICAN. he is native american. wake up if any one has the right to be mad at illegal entry would be the native americans!! oh yeah that is right some of the natives are living where? south america

May 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommy

This really directed at jean. I am part Native American, and if you can not tell whether someone is Native American or Mexican you really have more issues than this new law in AZ

May 21, 2010 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. Julio

Just curious if Obama read the law. No one else in his adminstration has, and yet they continue to comment on it. The law simply enforces, on a state level, the exisitng Federal law. No more, no less.

May 19, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • ctbeckyw

You nailed it, Julio! No. No one in the WH (Obama, the AG, or Homeland) read the bill before putting their foot squarely into their mouth. They just haven't figured out how to get it back out without alienating the Latinos who also refused to read it.

This equates to entering a concert, plane, Disneyland whatever only to find someone in your seat. You ask the authority (security) to check tickets. You proudly show yours (passport, green card, DL, etc) but the person in your seat has nothing. They did not pay the price of admission (aka entering legally) so they are gate crashers and should/will be removed. Now there may be room for everyone but why should some enjoy the ride when they in fact did not pay for the ticket ? I'm an American born citizen (born on July 4th actually) and I carry my US passport in my purse and if I do not have my purse my state issued driver's license is in my pocket. I have nothing to hide. If I am asked to prove my right to be here, I can just pony up proof.

BTW, no where in the AZ bill does it talk about race EXCEPT to say that using it as the SOLE factor to question status is illegal. Is anyone aware that the Mexican border now is the biggest illegal entry point of Middle Easterners AND Asians? The law doesn't look to keep Mexicans out. It looks to keep out/remove people who have ENTERED THE COUNTRY ILLEGALLY.

May 26, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TammyB

I am beginning to believe that NO ONE in this administration is literate, with all the "I haven't read the law" they've ALL been spouting. It would not surprise me that the President hasn't read it either.

May 19, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommy

I am glad you posted something i can reply back to. I love some of your comments to others in this blog. It is nice to know that there are people who are actually educated enough to speak confidently on some parts of the laws in their area. Mainly the comment you made about the drivers license. I am from Texas, and we have many of the same issues here, but until justa couple years ago there was no law restricting illegals from obtaining license or identification cards. Hurray for Rick Perry and his administration finally doing something right.

May 21, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

Reply to Tommy.....Thanks! Glad you are posting here as well! I like the debate here, and I have actually learned some new facts as well!

May 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cieje3

If securing our borders was of any concern to the powers that be, the appropriate actions would have been taken care of by now, and this situation would have ceased to exist PRONTO. Food for thought, Hmm?
    \

May 19, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Abe

Its too bad the Natives didn't get a choice when the white people murdered and slaughtered them.

May 19, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

Yes, and my great grandmother's father walked "The Trail of Tears"....I've gotten over it. When are you going to Abe?

May 19, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • gia

to Tammy: When the white people get over their ignorance and racism hun.

May 19, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

To Gia.....That's ALL PEOPLE "hun"....no amount of calling people "hun" is ever going to solve that. Ignorance and racism is not just something that's exclusive to "white people". I have travelled all over the country and to several countries. People are racist globally and nationally. Just because you are brown or black does not mean you cannot be racist. If you believe that, then you ARE truly ignorant, "HUN".....

May 19, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • B Dog

Abe, How did that taking it back thing work out for you and your people. just a thought

May 19, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • SupportAZ

Gia, hun, you sound like another barefoot and pregnant hispanic.

May 22, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. Richp, Easton, Pa

The "powers that be' could care less about what the majority of citizens want, this is demonstrated time after time by the bills they write, pass and enforce. List the bills that they have turned into law into two columns, One column that worked and the other that did not or had unintended consequences., 95% of them will be in column two. I have always wondered how they could be so stupid to write some of them before I realized they are not written stupidly they are written intentionally. As for illegals, ENFORCE THE LAW, a law that is not enforced is worse than no law at all.

May 19, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cieje3

(Shrugs and nods in agreement)

May 19, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |