May 19th, 2010

Obama: Arizona law a 'misdirected' expression of 'frustration'

[Updated at 12:34 p.m.] President Barack Obama said during a meeting Wednesday with Mexican President Felipe Calderon that Arizona's immigration law is a "misdirected" expression of "frustration."

He said his administration is taking a close look at the law, particularly in terms of its civil rights implications.

[Updated at 12:26 p.m.] U.S. President Barack Obama said Wednesday during a meeting with Mexican President Felipe Calderon that the two leaders have agreed to work toward a U.S.-Mexico border that is "modern, secure and efficient."

[Posted at 10:23 a.m.] Mexican President Felipe Calderon said at the White House Wednesday that Arizona's controversial new immigration law is causing "our people to face discrimination."

Calderon made his comments during a news conference held with President Barack Obama.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Immigration • Mexico • U.S.
  1. Nathan

Sooner or later the US will run out of other people's money to spend to support those who cannot support themselves. Because of this this problem is self limiting. We can't print enough money to do all of these things and can't produce the way that we used to. If people are against the AZ law then propose something better or let's just abolish all laws related to coming into this country. The laws haven't worked and unless you go snooping they'll never work. This debate is plain rubbish.

May 19, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommy

I agree with the part about if you dont like it propose something else you think WILL work. As for the government spending other peoples money for those not able to support themselves...IT IS WELFARE...and there are more people on it now than any time in America'a history. Not since WWII has the American econmy been in such a flux. It has nothing to do with immigrants legal OR illegal. It has to do with our government spending billions in third world countries so that they will let us send more of our big businesses over seas to work for pennies on the dollar so company shareholders can sit back and enjoy more pay because they dont have to pay Americans a resonable salary.

May 21, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. ronjon

What country does Arizona border? A. France B. Canada C. Mexico. What country should America enforce illegal immigration laws on? A. Iran B. Mexico C. North Korea D. All countries.

May 19, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Awesome.

I am still waiting for justification behind the objection to this law. In what way is supporting a federal statute offensive or racist? Remembering: "Legal Contact" must be made with an individual before questions of citizenship can be asked. So if you are breaking the law then and only then can you be asked about your citizenship.

Liberal spin machine is going crazy on this one.

May 20, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. Nathan

When I travel abroad I have to carry my passport wherever I go. Tired of being so touchy feely about all of this. So worried about people's feelings that we'd sooner allow law breakers than stand up for what we see as right or wrong. Let's just not have laws then at the risk of offending people.

May 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • PostingBoy

Agreed. People seem to think America should be the exception when it comes to enforcing immigration laws. They interpret "Free country" to mean "Free for the taking". We are already experiencing social and financial problems, do people really think it won't get worse if we just open the door to everyone?

May 19, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ricardo

Calderon comes to tackle issues of security, war on drugs and commerce.Immigration is the least of the problems, Amercian media want to put it as if it is, is not. Calderon is a right wing President, a straigh talker and a responsable leader, he is definitely our ally.

May 19, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommy

That is probably true, but all we hear from the media is "Your new immigration law violates my peoples rights", I am sure it is because that is what the biased media wants the people to hear. BUT, he did actually say those words in a meeting with the president and his board members. You can't have it your way all the time...this is not Burger King.

May 21, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. Nathan

Can't we just create a process where people check in at the border and we start the immigration process? Why all of this sneaking across? Is it because most of the people coming across are trying to escape Mexico? Come on people let's think this through it shouldn't be so damn difficult.

May 19, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • PostingBoy

The process can start from the person's home. As long as there is a way to get mail, a person can have the application mailed to them. Yes, to start, it is THAT easy.

May 19, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

You've hit on teh crux of the problem Nathan. The process isn't all that difficult for those who WANT TO DO IT. This issue revolves around those who want the benefits of living here without the burdens (you know, those pesky taxes and stuff).
      That's why only leftie moonbats and illegals have a problem with the AZ law. Those of us who think know there's nothing wrong with immigrants or immigration. My Italian grandparents did it and yours probably did too. But they came here, learned english as well as they could, became citizens of this country and followed whatever dream it was they had. This is a good thing. Unfortunately the liberal left doesn't want to hear that. They're so focused on race they're desperate for an opportunity to scream about racism.

May 19, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Illegal

Ok great! Let's send all illegals back to their country. Just one question: who is going to clean your house? who is going to work on your yard? who is going to wash dishes or clean the restaurants that you go to? who is going to take care of your kids? who is going to do your nails? who is going to pick the strawberries from the field so you can eat them? are you?
    All those people that claim that Mexican are taking their jobs, are you willing to go down on your knees to clean someone else bathroom ? If you are then let's send all the illegals back to their country

May 19, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

I clean my own house, I raised all 6 of my children (stayed at home with them all), I cook my own food, and wash my own dishes, my son (who is white!) works at Pizza Hut, and he cooks and does the dishes, I pick my own food (I have a garden, and my children picked the food when they were younger). My mother was a janitor for several years (yikes....she's white! OMG!), and so was my father (that was his...wait for it....2nd job at night!!!!!). I have worked in the service industries as a primary job, and as a secondary job when need be to put food on my table. I have relatives who live on farms (OMG they are all white too!!!), who do their own picking, hoeing and such. When they have had to hire people, it has been all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds! OMG! White people doing work! Legal citizens doing work! What is this world coming to? There are a lot of proud, hardworking US Citizens that do backbreaking work everyday, 365 days a year and I am tired of hearing how that's just an illegal Mexican thing! So who exactly are you speaking to and for?

May 19, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • PostingBoy

Do all that, and am forced to slave a few hours every month to pay taxes that supply illegals with government benefits.

May 19, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Colorado Citizen

How do you think all those things got done before a tidal wave of illegal immigrants from Latin America descended on our shores? People did those things themselves, and did them well. The American worker is unparalleled in history for productivity and hard work. I have been a janitor, a construction worker, a fast food worker at McDonalds, an apple picker, and done other jobs some consider "menial labor." Work is ennobling, especially physical labor. We need to find ways to have illegal immigrants self-deport back to their countries of origin so that our young people can have the jobs they now take, and earn a living wage in the bargain.

May 19, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Student

"The American worker is unparalleled in history for productivity and hard work."

Although I agree that they are hardworking people, for the sake of an argument, what about Asian people? I'm under the impression that their discipline "is unparalleled."

May 19, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Colorado Citizen

We're not talking about "Asian people" here. We're discussing the work habits and capabilities of illegal immigrants versus American citizens and legal residents.

May 19, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

That's as pthetic as it gets. Why don't you become a citizen? If you had a shred of honesty you'd say because you want to work here and not pay any taxes. You want your kids to go to school and not pay any taxes, you want to go to the hospital when you sick and not pay any taxes, etc etc. etc.
      I'll clean my own frigging house. GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM.

May 19, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

I work in the mortgage industry and talk to people all day who are out of work and losing their homes. Believe me, there are hundreds of thousands of people who would do those jobs. Get legal or get out.

May 19, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Well start sending back and for those who don't want to clean their own house or hire someone legal their house will remain dirty. Farmers will find the help or have to do it themselves. If your illegal and not bothering to do the work to become legal....go home.

May 20, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. just me

Mexicans complaining about being racially profiled. Yet when I go to the grocery store, walmart, theater, one of them always come up to me speaking spanish. Its because they "assume" I'm hispanic. When in reality, I'm Native American. Isn't that the same as racial profiling??

May 19, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • gia

sure hun. if you want it to be. let me know how you feel next time you are pulled over and asked about your immigration status.

May 19, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

To Gia....So, "hun"....it's only racially profiling if it's done against Mexicans, not Native Americans? What a double standard, "hun".......

May 19, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gena

Someone's getting touchy.

May 19, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

To Gena.....No not getting touchy. You have a lot of other posts here that you could say that about instead of this one! Just love a lively debate that's all!

May 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huff

gia, to answer your question, I am of Hispanic decent. I have family residing in Mexico. I have LEGAL family here in AZ from Mexico. I am asked for my ID every single time I pass through any of the many border patrol checkpoints in Arizona and California along their highways. Not a problem at all. Nor is it a problem for my family members who were born and raised in Mexico who travel with me. Any other dumb questions hun?

May 20, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • tommy

Although, as stated in an earlier blog, I am part Native American. My great grandmother was Cherokee, but I am also Norwegian, my great grandfather was from Norway. I have long black hair like a Native American and the high cheeks and brows, but you would never know I'm Native with my very pale skin, 5 minutes in the sun sunburn, and hazel eyes, and yet I still get people coming up to me speaking spanish. I don't think it matters what color you are. There will always be someone coming up to expecting you to be able to speak their language, and IT IS NOT just hispanic people that do this to me.

May 21, 2010 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
    • SupportAZ

Gia is barefoot and pregnant. Don't bother listening to her.

May 22, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. PostingBoy

Arizona's law is directed at illegal immigrants, people who are breaking Federal law, and Obama bellieves it is "misdirected"!?! Are people processing what is happening here? The law gives no indication of race or country of origin. The law itself does not discriminate against any one group of people other than people who are in the country without permission. Obama just effectively gave the world's criminals a free pass to come into our country without any process and sponge off of the American taxpayers....those they don't kill, that is. Obama is fast showing himself to be a danger to the safety of Americans citizens.

May 19, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Infadel

When you have nothing else to support your argument, play THE RACE CARD and the SHEEP will follow.

Why bother with the facts when they don't support the liberal agenda. Also anyone who doesn't agree with you has to be doing it on the basis of race alone! Why else would they disagree!

Remember when fiscally conservative people were upset about spending billions to further our national debt with no expectation of a return? The liberals starting screaming about racism because it was the president's initiative. Its absolutely rediculous.

May 19, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cletusshindig

CUT THE POWER. LET'S PLAY FAIR!

May 19, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huff

Arizona shut cut the power to California. Maybe then California politicians would realize their own state has had an almost identical law for many years. That law requires California officers to check a persons ID if they have reason to suspect they may be in the country illegally. That is the same as Arizona's and yet California cities want to boycott AZ. Go figure.

May 20, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Huff

Arizona should cut the power to California. Maybe then California politicians would realize their own state has had an almost identical law for many years. That law requires California officers to check a persons ID if they have reason to suspect they may be in the country illegally. That is the same as Arizona's and yet California cities want to boycott AZ. Go figure.

May 20, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. LOVEUSA

THE STATE LAW ACTUALLY DOES MIRROR THE FEDERAL LAW. IT JUST GIVE'S THE STATE POWER TO ENFORCE IMMIGRATION LAW WHICH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS FAILED TO DO. IF YOU BELIEVE THE STATE LAW IS CAUSE FOR RACIAL PROFILING THEN FEDERAL IMMIGRATION AGENTS (ICE) ARE RACIST AS WELL, ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS IN ARIZONA (NOW YOU ARE THE ONE PROFILING). OBVIOUSLY MAJORITY OF ILLEGAL ALIENS ARE OF HISPANIC ORIGIN. BECAUSE OF THE SIMPLE FACT OF OUR LOCATION WITH MEXICO AND THE REST OF CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA. IF CHINA OR ANY OTHER COUNTRY WAS NEXT TO THE U.S. THE LAW WOLD STILL BE THE SAME. BUT WOULD YOU SAY WE ARE RACIALLY PROFILING CHINESE???. THIS IS A LAND OF LEGAL IMMIGRANTS NOT ILLEGAL ALIENS. ANYONE WHO COMES TO THIS COUNTRY WITHOUT PERMISSION IS HERE ILLEGALLY YOU DID NOT MIGRATE HERE. YOU CHEATED BY CUTTING IN LINE. SO IF YOU CHEAT AND ENTERED THE COUNTRY ILLEGALLY, MEANS YOU BROKE THE (FEDERAL)LAW.
    MAJORITY OF ILLEGAL ALIENS DO NOT WORK THE FIELDS, DO NOT CLEAN HOUSES, OR CLEAN TOILETS ETC....
    REGARDLESS IF YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND OR NOT. U.S. CITIZENS CANNOT AFFORD TO BE PAYING FOR YOUR FREE HEALTH INSURANCE, FREE PUBLIC SERVICES, FREE EDUCATION, FREE WELFARE, FREE FOOD STAMPS, ETC...THE REAL QUESTION IS WHY DO UNITED STATES CITIZEN HAVE TO PAY THE PRICE FOR SOMEONE WHO IS HERE ILLEGALLY...
    HERES THE SOLUTION TOUGHER AND ACTUAL ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAW SECURE OUR BORDERS AND NOT GIVE AMNESTY.
    SHORT STORY: FRIEND OF MINE JUST HAD A DAUGTHER WHO WAS BORN WITH 80% KIDNEY FUNCTION HE HAS INSURANCE BUT HE STILL HAD TO PAY FOR ONGOING CARE HE IS IN DEBT FOR $14,000 DOLLARS NOW. HE IS DESPERATE TO GIVE HIS CHILD THEBEST CARE BUT SIMPLY CANT AFFORD IT. THIS STORY HAPPENS TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS MOST OF THE TIME. WHILE ILLEGAL ALIENS DONT PAY AT ALL FOR HEALTH INSURANCE WHEN THEY GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM.
    HE USE TO ARGUE WITH ME ABOUT IMMIGRATION BUT QUICKLY REVERSE HIS OPINION SINCE...

May 19, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommy

You should talk to your local bank about starting a donation fund for his daughter. You would be surprised at the monetary response from patriotic Americans that still believe in helping their fellow man. I work 60+ hours a week and I go to college 15+ hrs a week trying to better myself, and I pay for it out of my own pocket. I dont make a lot of money but I would contribute to a fund like that. My mother recently had a kidney removed because of cancer, and I truly think ATT/Southwestern Bell for their retirement insurance because without it we would be in the same crisis siutation as your friend.

May 21, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. Don

How great it is to know that our so-called president is making sure we don't pass any laws that offend the President of Mexico.

May 19, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Romanian

Mexican president had some balls to come into our country and tell us what to and what not to do. This is America and Mexico has no say in our laws. By the way, the president is a hypocrit. He has very harsh laws on his citizens, yet he critisizes us.... and no one told him to get out. Our country doesn't even have the right to stand up for itself anymore.

June 4, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Luke

First Obama agrees with China about our "human rights violations". Then he agrees with the President of Mexico that Arizona is doing a bad thing. What an idiot. China likely has the worst human rights violations in the world. Mexico is so screwed up and they are responsible for all this in the first place. Mexico also has very hard core rules for anyone who goes there legally and particyularly for anyone who goes there illegally. Nobama needs to decide to be the President of the United States or he needs to get out of our country. I have never seen a larger moron and idiot in my life.

May 19, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Infadel

One question: How would I, a white American, be treated in Mexico if I were committing a crime-big or small?
    1. I would probably have to show some id and Identify myself as a US Citizen
    2. I would recieve the appropriate punishment for my offense
    3. I would get my a$$ deported back to the US.

Why is anyone angry about this law again?

May 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huff

Sorry but you would not be deported back the to USA as quickly as USA deports illegals. In Mexico you'd rot in prison a few months at the least while they attempt any means possible to extort as much money from you and your family.

May 20, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • tommy

I must agree with Huff, I have friends that went to Mexico on vacation. They were attacked and almost robbed, one of my buddies is a martial artist, he was arrested and jailed for 6 weeks for public brawling, and this was for defending himself and family against those that attacked them. And yes they were Mexican citizens that attacked his family. I can even say that we have that problem here in the US but in most states public brawling is a night in jail and a fine at most, and not even that when you are defending yourself, friends, and family in danger.

May 21, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. EX AZ NATIVE

Thanks for throwing Arizona under the bus Obama! Nothing like not supporting your country. SOB.

May 19, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • SupportAZ

No kidding! He threw his grandmother under the bus during the campaign–in favor of Rev. Wright; he threw Pennsylvanians under the bus, too ("clinging to guns and religion"). Obama is a pompous ass like the rest of liberal America (look at their "lion" Ted Kennedy–he got away with murder).

May 22, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. John - Wading River, NY

No problem. I f any politician, including OBama, wants to give in to illiegals AND the mexican president, then we vote him out of office too. No problem. I'm sick and tired of policitians doing what they want, and not what we want. VOTE THEM ALL OUT!!.

May 19, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |