May 19th, 2010

Obama: Arizona law a 'misdirected' expression of 'frustration'

[Updated at 12:34 p.m.] President Barack Obama said during a meeting Wednesday with Mexican President Felipe Calderon that Arizona's immigration law is a "misdirected" expression of "frustration."

He said his administration is taking a close look at the law, particularly in terms of its civil rights implications.

[Updated at 12:26 p.m.] U.S. President Barack Obama said Wednesday during a meeting with Mexican President Felipe Calderon that the two leaders have agreed to work toward a U.S.-Mexico border that is "modern, secure and efficient."

[Posted at 10:23 a.m.] Mexican President Felipe Calderon said at the White House Wednesday that Arizona's controversial new immigration law is causing "our people to face discrimination."

Calderon made his comments during a news conference held with President Barack Obama.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Immigration • Mexico • U.S.
  1. watersurf

just think how many jobs taken from americans by illegals one billion a year wake up america

May 21, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. watersurf

calderon talkin bad about america and shooting finger at us and obama and dems clapping cheering him on right at WH

May 21, 2010 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. watersurf

calderon must been on knees whole bunch to please obama dem party I guess gave him good knee pads

May 21, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. watersurf

you know obama started out placing returning vets on terror watch list then cramming his socilaism down or throats now budding up to calderon laughing at america cutting us down just think how many servicemen died protecting us from the very thing he is cramming down our throats

May 21, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. Warren Serkin

For those who think that the Arizona law will lead to racial profiling, federal law is much more severe. Federal law allows any law enforcement officer to stop any one at any time and ask for proof of citizenship. I your angry about the Arizona law and want to boycott Arizona, maybe you should go back to where you came from and boycott the US. We who were born here and those who migrated here legally would welcome that.

May 21, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. watersurf

I wonder if obama got the oil rig blown up who knows as much as he hates america would not rule it out

May 21, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. watersurf

I bet the kids momma that was talking to first lady is arrested tonight by ICe because there job is to do that when heard and it is the duty of first lady to report them because it is a crime some one needs to check that out

May 21, 2010 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. watersurf

think god for AZ, and us americans stick together any attack on AZ is attack on america

May 21, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. dlh34

I agree that we have an immigration problem but let's not start harassing legal citizens to solve this problem. Instead of enacting a law the may result in racial profiling they should instead secure there own border with Mexico. It is time to wake up people!!! This law is going to be no more effective than a law banning all guns. The criminals are always going to find away to get guns and they are always going to find away to cross the boarder and commit crimes. If you really think this law is going to be effective you are foolish!!! All it will succeed in doing is harassing legal citizens.

I here people complain that the Federal Government should allow the states to have more power in making laws however, all I hear is people complaining that the Federal Government is not doing enough to protect our boarders. If the Federal Government is not doing enough to protect the borders shouldn't the states take the lead and do something about it, instead of whining?
    I am tired of this crap about illegal immigrants are stealing our jobs, and costing tax payers money because they are on welfare, or the cause of most of the crime. This is complete BS. What is costing us money is the lazy a** Americans that refuse to work and have several kids in order to get welfare these are the people we should be concerned about not the illigals. As for jobs we have a large Hispanic population in our city because of the meat packing plants, in which most Americans won't work. They are not stealing these jobs from anyone most Americans won't work in these plants.
    As for crime, I am sure there are probably illigals here, however, most of the crimes here are not committed by those of Hispanic decent, he majority are committed by legal citizens. So all of you who claim that illegal immigrants are causing this Nation’s ills need to wake up and get clue.
    Rather than spending the time and money on such a useless law that will not solve the problem maybe Arizona should instead erect a wall across the Arizona-Mexican border.
    I can't believe the American people want tax payer money spent looking for illegal immigrants. I think there are better ways of spending this money such as education, SS, Medicare, and protecting our country from terrorists.

Stupidity, Obama blew up the oil rig. He is the first president I know that is trying to solve the nation’s problems. I don't agree with everything he has done but he is trying in face of the Republicans status quo. I can't believe the number of racists and ignorant people there are in this country. The believe everything that they are told without taking the time to research all of this issues.

Yes, we need solve the immigration problem but let's use some common sense!!! Don't listen to the right or the left, open up you mind and educate yourself. That is the only way you will get the truth and the truth will set us free.
    Most of the BS on here is being regurgitated from either racists or politicians. It’s time to open up you mind people and think for yourself. The truth will set you free.
    It is time for common sense Gvernment!!!

May 21, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

My opinion was not regurgitated from anything. I live in Arizona. I see the problem everyday. The problem is excluding any one group of people from following the rules. Period. As far as illegals not costing the country anything, well, I disagree with you. They qualify, in this state, for medical care, education, and other social services. I agree with you that there are a lot of legal citizens that take advantage of the system, however, that is entirely another problem which we must tackle as well. But just simply saying that illegals don't cost taxpayers is not true. Additionally, from a human rights standpoint, people who come here illegally (no matter where you are from) often get shafted by employers who pay next to nothing, the illegals from the south of the border are subject to coyotes, that sometimes demand even more money after they are here, drop them in houses that are wall to wall people, then murder them after getting more money, or long dangerous walks in the desert to get to the bigger cities, risking their lives. From that standpoint we should try to protect them. Right behind them, however, can be the illegal criminals, as well...if it's easy for the honest people it's even easier for the dishonest to come into the country. Plus the Arizona law is a mirror of existing laws anyway, so really, we are asking that all people follow what they are supposed to be doing. If I get a speeding ticket, because I am going faster than I am supposed to go, then if I get a ticket, I have no one to blame but myself. Same with illegals...if they get caught, no crying because they broke the law.

May 21, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dlh34

what do call paul merino?an ingnorant racists!!!

May 21, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. ken

New Immigration Laws: Read to the bottom or you will miss the message...

1. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools.
    2. All ballots will be in this nation's language.
    3. All government business will be conducted in our language.
    4. Non-residents will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long they are here.
    5. Non-citizens will NEVER be able to hold political office.
    6 Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no food stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs. Any burden will be deported.
    7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount at least equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.
    8. If foreigners come here and buy land... options will be restricted. Certain parcels including waterfront property are reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.
    9. Foreigners may have no protests; no demonstrations, no waving of a foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his policies. These will lead to deportation.
    10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be actively hunted &, when caught, sent to jail until your deportation can be arranged. All assets will be taken from you.

Too strict ?

The above laws are current immigration laws of MEXICO !

May 21, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • rakk

US shood adopt this laws.

May 22, 2010 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. dlh34

What do call Paul merino? An ignorant racist!!!
    Sorry, I had to correct my spelling and grammar because I didn't want to sound as ignorant as Paul

May 21, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • SupportAZ

Your grammar still isn't correct. Btw, it's the height of ignorance to call someone "ignorant" just because you disagree.

May 22, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  13. tommy

I wrote a lot of comments to many people on this blog. I wrote this so you could talk directly to me instead of thru anothers blog entry. This is your chance to reciprocate your feelings to me about the things I wrote about your entry. As a former business owner I did hire people that were here illegally with the stipulation they had 30 days to start the nationalization paperwork process and bring me proof they started it. I didn't care how hard they worked, or where they immigrated from, they 30 days no more no less. I turned in many that I had to let go because they simply didn't want to be citizens. I like to think I helped many get thru the process of becoming if not citizens of this great country then at least legally working non-citizens. If i still had my business I would do the same thing. Some of these people truly want to be here legally. Some, like many in this blog have stated over and over simply want the benifits without paying for them.

May 21, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • ken

sure would like to go thru your records and see what u paid

May 21, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

You offered several intelligent and informed opinions! Glad you decided to come to this blog! I agree that many on this blog just sound racists and that's on both sides. It is refreshing to read your posts as you have something that is well thought out to offer!

May 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommy

It was almost 20 years ago...im sure the bank has them on microfilm somewhere in storeage. They got paid what all the others did.

May 21, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ken

yesterday i was stopped for speeding told the officer i did not have my drivers lic with me his response was that i would have to go to the station until i could produce an identifcation . im white in hillbilly land didnt take me long to find my lic

May 21, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  15. dlh34

Ken,
    Just because these are laws in Mexico doesn't mean we have come down to there level. I also get your point in that they are complaining about the Arizona law but yet have laws like these. However, this country is better than that.
    I agree that illigals should not receive be afforded the benefits of legal citizens.
    I don't believe that we should spend tax payer dollars hunting down illigals but should instead be spent on securing the boarders. Also those who are caught and have worked hard in this country should not have there assets stripped from them that is wrong. If we did not have foreign investment in this country I believe are country would go bankrupt. Look how well Mexico is doing with this type of law.
    I think this best solution for Mexico would not to enforce these types of law but instead clean of the corruption and crime that is ramped in that country. The Police can not even be trusted in that country because most of them are dirty and on payroll of cartels.
    I would hope we are better country than Mexico!!!

May 21, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo

No, you're right the US should not adopt similar laws to Mexico, but while Mexico has immigration laws like that Calderon should step down off his soapbox. People who live in glasshouses...

May 22, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |