May 19th, 2010

Obama: Arizona law a 'misdirected' expression of 'frustration'

[Updated at 12:34 p.m.] President Barack Obama said during a meeting Wednesday with Mexican President Felipe Calderon that Arizona's immigration law is a "misdirected" expression of "frustration."

He said his administration is taking a close look at the law, particularly in terms of its civil rights implications.

[Updated at 12:26 p.m.] U.S. President Barack Obama said Wednesday during a meeting with Mexican President Felipe Calderon that the two leaders have agreed to work toward a U.S.-Mexico border that is "modern, secure and efficient."

[Posted at 10:23 a.m.] Mexican President Felipe Calderon said at the White House Wednesday that Arizona's controversial new immigration law is causing "our people to face discrimination."

Calderon made his comments during a news conference held with President Barack Obama.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Immigration • Mexico • U.S.
  1. Guest !!!!!

To all dummies
    #1 90% of the crime not committed by immigrants **legal or illegal* but by Citizen's of the country. So stop blaming your problems on others.
    # 2 How come Obama's Aunt given the residence now while there are thousands in line ?
    # Quote 3 President Lyndon Johnson said in 1965, when he signed immigration legislation of his own, "Our beautiful America was built by a nation of strangers. From a hundred different places or more they have poured forth into an empty land, joining and blending in one mighty and irresistible tide. The land flourished because it was fed from so many sources - because it was nourished by so many cultures and traditions and peoples."
    # 4 Quote Deportation would total approximately $285 billion over five years. According to the report, a deportation-only policy would amount to $922 in new taxes for “every man, woman, and child in this country”: Moreover, a mass deportation strategy would have a crippling impact on economic growth. The exorbitant direct costs of such a strategy detailed in this report should be the final nail in the coffin of a moribund idea.
    ICE deported 349,041 immigrants during the 2008 fiscal year ending September 30. Using CAP’s estimates, that means that the government spent approximately $8,079,601,068 last year alone
    research has shown that ramped up enforcement doesn’t drive most immigrants back to their home countries, rather it only pushes them deeper into the shadows.

# 5 GET A LIFE and let people live, straight your matters instead of blaming things on others

May 21, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

I am not blaming anything on anyone else, nor have I ever. I just want everyone in this country to follow the laws of our lands. I have never said that illegals are to blame for everything or anything, just that they disrespect this country by breaking laws. If you really wish to live in a country, and become a citizen you need to first RESPECT the laws of that country, and become a citizen LEGALLY. I have to follow the rules and ask no more of anyone that I do of myself. I also don't have to resort to calling people names (like dummy) because they don't agree with me. You need to learn how not argue by name-calling....it's counter productive to your cause.

May 21, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Guest !!!!!

hey ken Why don't we turn U.S.A in to Kingdom as other countries have laws which are against any kind of freedom!
    Give me a break there is a big difference between U.S AND other countries. that why the call U.S land of dreams , the American Dream.
    some of you need to go back where your grand grand grand parents came from and then complain about life and how hard its.

By the way there are no benefits for illegals, oh by the way as an legal immigrant I have to pay for your social security why I have to pay in SC if I wont be using it ? For you ?

May 21, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. B Dog

EVERYONE, of those senators that stood up while the Pres.? of Mexico slammed us SHOULD not be in office after NOV.

May 21, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

I totally agree with you! It's like they were negating anything that America does in general, throwing us all under the bus, in order to kiss a foreign President's you know what! I know they have to be diplomatic, but when another country's President is in our country wanting to dictate what we do internally, I think that's where diplomacy must stop.

May 21, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Robert

Notice Calderon said "Our people" of course, that they're citizens of Mexico, not the US, but such a profound statement by him.

May 21, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. COMMON SENSE

If I lived with my family in Mexico I would get my ass across the border to. My goal would be to make sure my wife & kids were taken care of. I would work 3 jobs here in states instead of living in that violent and corrupt country. As an accountant I would make $800 bucks a month in Mexico. I could make a lot more in the US and my Family would be safe which is more important. The funny thing about it is that people talk about doing it the LEGAL way but they don't realize the process. BELIEVE ME!!!! YOU WOULD DO IT THE ILLEGAL WAY TO IF THEY WERE IN THE SAME SITUATION. DON'T JUDGE PUT YOURSELF IN THEIR SHOES. You probably don't like them speaking spanish because you don't understand but in europe where your ancestors came from most people speak more than one language.

May 21, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just an American

No you are wrong. Most people don't care if they are speaking spanish but we do care that our tax dollars subsidize various government programs that illegal immigrants are privy to. I personally don;t care what language a person speaks, where they are from, or what color their skin is but I do care when somebody is able to "freeload" off the taxes I pay.

What most people fail to realize is the real benefit of this law is to crackdown on businesses that hire/exploit illegal immigrants. Very few people look at this as an actual benefit to the immigrants but it is.

May 21, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

I am not judging anyone, by all means. I think I would do whatever it took also, to help my family, and thank goodness, I was born in the US, where I do have more opportunities than one does in Mexico. That being said, if I did come over here illegally, and got caught, I wouldn't be trying to exploit the situation by screaming discrimination! and marching up and down streets with a Mexican flag. I would have to take my knocks, just like I always have, and try again to go through the system. I know it takes a long time, but there is a reason for it and that's so we don't here in this country take in EVERYBODY from EVERYWHERE! Every other nation has quotas on how many immigrants they take in per year, as well they and we should.

May 22, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

Of course Mexico's President is against the Arizona law. It makes it more difficult for criminals to leave his country and become our problem.

May 22, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. SupportAZ

Americans have been bullied by Mexican president and hispanic politicians long enough. It is time to reclaim our sovereignty. Americans have been forced to sacrifice social services, educational opportunities and jobs in order to placate corporations who want cheap, illegal labor. It is time for this bullying to stop.

Americans should care for other Americans and legal immigrants first–not those who have invaded the country, marched through the streets holding flags of other nations, and demanded social services far beyond what they contribute in tax payments. And what thanks do Americans receive? We are called racists for not giving them more–and to hell with you and yours.

It's time to stop pandering to hispanic bullies. That is all they are. Deport them, along with visa holders who have overstayed their visits. Heavily penalize their employers. We must refuse to be bullied by name-calling and reclaim America's sovereignty.

May 22, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. NorCalMojo

Calderon is a joke. Obama and the DNC are tonedeaf on this one.

People want it fixed now.

May 22, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. cojones

Listen people. I am a Naturalized Citizen. (From South America) Came here legally and then went through the ranks to become a naturalized citizen the right way. I love this country and its people. Yes it is true that a lot of illegals take jobs from Americans because of cheap labor, etc. Let's punish the companies that hire these folks. Fine them BIG and even take them out of business if possible. Mexico is a country with a lot of resources and their country can maintain those people there. Also there are a lot of people here "working with a Visa" somewhere or a company in the hopes of obtaining a "permanent residence". This also takes a large amount of American Professional JOBS. Please go back to your own country and try to survive there.

May 22, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • ctbeckyw

Congrats, Cojones, for doing it by the book. You're absolutely right on about corporation's responsibility in all this.

May 26, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. vallan

I am going to say some things that seem to contradict but they do not. I have many friends from other countries, some hispanic. Some of the hardest working people I know come from Mexico. I have the highest respect for their work ethic, their culture and many other thing about them. I would rather work beside a hard working Mexican than a lazy American any day of the week.

However, the issue is not work ethics or respect. The issue is whether people follow the law with respect to immigration. There are many upstanding US citizens who come from other countries and followed the rules and paid their fees and waited for USCIS forms to be processed and prepared for interviews and tests, etc. There are also a few million others who thumb their noses at the law, get together for mass rallies where they demand citizenship without following all the rules like every other immigrant has ever done. The difference between following the rules and gathering a bunch of people to avoid following the rules is the difference between a civilized society and mob rule.

Now if the Obama group wants to buy off the mobs to get more voters, it speaks volumes about his view of the place of law in a civilized society. It is his job to protect the borders, not to get re-elected by encouraging people to break the law.

For those who are here legally and endured all the tension of USCIS and immigration, MORE POWER TO YOU!!!!!

To the illegals.......... get with the program! We do not tailor our law for your comfort; they are to protect ourselves from illegal immigrants. Stop clinging to our legs like spoiled children expecting to be treated special. Get in the line like everyone else and wait for your turn.

May 22, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Have Passport will show

If you really want to fix the problems of the world; it is not that hard. We go to space. We put colonies on the moon and other places. We collect H3 (clean energy) that has been collecting on the surface of the moon for billions of years. Remember, the more people in the world; the more problems in the world. When we are not living on top of each other and resources are not stretched thin. People are a lot nicer.

May 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jerry crownover

Why do people think just because their skin is dark they don't have to obey the laws like white people do? God I'm sick of that.

May 22, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JonPeter

Check everyone in an effort to avoid stereotyping and to catch and deport illegals. If I were checked, I'd feel proud as a loyal and legal American to be part of the effort to get ilelgal immigration under control.

We are losing our sovereignty, does anyone realize this ? Those who make excuses for the ILLEGAL immigrants have no idea what it means to be an American. Allowing people who are coming here illegally to escape the dysfunctionality of their own homelands is only going to make America as bad as the place these people come from. there is no respect for law elsewhere and a few misguided souls are clamoring for the same disrespect for law here.

May 22, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gene-- Indiana

Not immigration but illegal immigration will be the downfall of the United States. Twenty years from now the USA will look like mexico.

May 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Steven P

Can anyone find Morton's statement being covered AT ALL by CNN? You know – the John Morton of Homeland Security who says the fed may not process illegals turned over to them by Arizona?

I've looked for days...even used an external search engine. Come on, CNN!

May 22, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |