May 19th, 2010

Cops: Golfer Chi Chi Rodriguez robbed of $500 K in goods

Three armed men robbed famed Puerto Rican golfer Juan Antonio "Chi Chi" Rodriguez of about $500,000 worth of jewelry, watches and other personal items in his home early Wednesday, police said.

The crime occurred about 1:30 a.m. when the robbers broke into the golfer's home at El Lagado Resort in the southern Puerto Rican city of Guayama, police spokesman Wilson Porrata said. The robbers tied Rodriguez up before making off with the merchandise, Porrata said in a statement. Rodriguez, 74, and his wife were not injured.

Rodriguez had the first of his eight PGA Tour wins in 1963.

Post by:
Filed under: Sports
  1. Shawn

I don't follow golf, but when I saw this headline, I thought it was a female golfer with big boobs. "Chi Chi" Rodriguez ? LOL !

May 19, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

Dude – Your comment is hilarious. Classic!!

May 19, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grasshopper

That would be Charro.....with the big boobs.

May 19, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Scott W.

My cat's breath smells like catfood.

May 19, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Noogry Fromoff

The beaver (genus Castor) is a primarily nocturnal, large, semi-aquatic rodent. Castor includes two extant species, Castor canadensis (native to North America) and Castor fiber (Eurasia). Beavers are known for building dams, canals, and lodges (homes). They are the second-largest rodent in the world (after the capybara). Their colonies create one or more dams to provide still, deep water to protect against predators, and to float food and building material. The North American beaver population was once more than 60 million, but as of 1988 was 6–12 million. This population decline is due to extensive hunting for fur, for glands used as medicine and perfume, and because their harvesting of trees and flooding of waterways may interfere with other land uses.[1]

May 19, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bigbill427

I feed my ex wife Ole Roy and use to fart like a old army mule...

May 19, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest 859

Scott W, absolutely hilarious comment. One of my favorite quotes ever. Made my day, thanks.

May 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • steven

its puerto rico, I wouldn't trust no bank.

May 19, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JJ

Who in their right mind keeps that much jewelry at home Hasn't he heard of a bank's safety deposit vault?

May 19, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • DYNO-MITE

Are you related to JJ Walker?

May 19, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julian

Lots of people with a lot more money than you.... One or two Patek Philippe or Vacheron Constantine watches are worth that much....

May 19, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ash A.

For a lot of athletes and celebrities, $500k worth of jewelery can mean 1 ring or 1 necklace

May 19, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mofongo

Hmm, Puerto Rico has finally turned into another Mexico... well, it has been for the last 13 years.

May 19, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MAC G.

SCOTT, THINK YOU MIGHT BE IN THE WRONG SOUND OFF???

May 19, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott W.

WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?????

May 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • MAC G.

SORRY I HAVE A LOT OF PENT UP ANGER THAT COMES FROM YEARS OF KEEPING MY EMOTIONS BOTTLED UP INSIDE.

May 19, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott W.

THATS'S OK MAC. THANKS FOR EXPLAINING. HAVE YOU EVER EATEN CAT FOOD?

May 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mac G.

I THINK ABOUT EATING IT A LOT. I REALLY DO. SOMETIMES LATE AT NIGHT, WHEN I NEED SOMEONE TO HOLD ME, I TURN TO THE COMFORT OF FOOD. AND LATLEY HAVE BEEN THINKING OF TRYING CAT FOOD.

May 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott W.

Have you ever tried to just hold yourself? I mean like hug yourself?
      I give myself a good hug once or twice a day. I say "Get over here! Let's hug it out!" Then I hug myself.
      Sometimes I pat myself on the rearend and say "Go get 'em champ!" Just like i imagined my dad would have said to me.

May 19, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • MAC G.

I'M GLAD YOU CLARIFIED BECAUSE I DO HOLD MYSELF BUT DIFFERENT THEN WHAT YOU DESCRIBED.
      NEXT TIME THE MUNCHIES CREEP IN AFTER A MARATHON OF WATCHING THE THUNDERCATS, I WILL HUG IT OUT WITH MYSELF. THANKS FOR THE HELP.

May 19, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Scott Whipsme

I love his salsa. I will buy a lot of his salsa so he can buy new bling.
    I bet Tiger was behind this. Tiger is behind a lot of things, including a lot of brunettes.
    But I think Tiger stole the bling to give to his wife.

May 19, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott W.

I firmly agree with this theory. I happen to know that Tiger was always jealous of that ooohhh so delicious salsa racket that Chi Chi has and it seems like much more than a coincidence that this job went down that way that it did. I mean, think about it!

May 19, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. GC Rod

Never fails a whole bunch of ignorant people still making ignorant comments. You all need to get a life.

May 19, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • CNN ADMIN

Your profile has been banned.

May 19, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Three Dog Mama

Good grief. Everywhere I have turned to today to read comments, many of them were hate-filled, ugly, etc. If you can't say something nice or pertinent to the article, don't comment. You are just showing the world that you are an uncaring person with little intelligence.

May 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda A

My thoughts exactly; how rude these people are!

May 19, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CHicha CHicha

Puerto Rico needs a Good Enema....Like the Joker in Batman says...Too Much Krime

May 19, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Noogry Fromoff

Herpes genitalis (or genital herpes) refers to a genital infection by herpes simplex virus.

Following the classification HSV into two distinct categories of HSV-1 and HSV-2 in the 1960s,[1][2] it was established that "HSV-2 was below the waist, HSV-1 was above the waist". Although genital herpes is largely believed to be caused by HSV-2, genital HSV-1 infections are increasing and now exceed 50% in certain populations, [3][4][5] and that rule of thumb no longer applies. HSV is believed to be asymptomatic in the majority of cases, thus aiding contagion and hindering containment.

May 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Carter Sherline

This is so horrible. I've met Chi Chi several times in my capacity as a photojournalist and he is the nicest person. It shouldn't happen to anyone, let alone to someone who is as good a person as he is.

May 19, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. john mcdermitt

Where was that dam DOG !!!!

May 19, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bigbill427

That was Lunch..

May 19, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. guest2010

And the reason Chi Chi was STUPID enough to have $500,000 worth of jewelry, etc. in his home is . . . . . . . .????

May 19, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julian

and the reason why its any of your business how much someone else has in their own home is?

May 19, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rick McDaniel

Maybe Puerto Rico wouldn't be a good candidate for statehood, after all. We already have enough crime in the US, without adding more.

May 19, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |