May 20th, 2010

Thursday's Intriguing people

Robert Redford

Robert Redford

The actor and activist is calling on President Obama and Congress to put America back in control of its energy future. In a Huffington Post essay, Redford writes, “The American Power Act, drafted by Senators Kerry and Lieberman, is not perfect– but it is a significant step toward cutting our dependence on fossil fuels, limiting carbon pollution, and encouraging businesses to shift to clean energy sources.”

Redford explains that he worked with the Natural Re

sources Defense Council to record a new commercial asking that leaders in Washington “stand up to big oil.” Thursday marks one month since BP's oil rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, killing 11 people and creating what may be one of the country’s worst environmental disasters.

The Huffington Post: Mr. President: Now Is the Time For Clean Energy

National Resources Defense Council

Mimi Sulpovar

Pakistan on Thursday blocked access to YouTube - a day after it shut down social networking site Facebook - in response to an online group calling on people to draw the Prophet Muhammad. The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority ordered operators to shut down the video-sharing site "in view of growing sacrilegious content on it," officials said in a statement.

Devout Muslims consider it offensive to depict Muhammad. There were riots around the world in 2005  in response to a series of cartoons of Muhammad in a Danish newspaper.

Sulpovar, who started the Facebook group, said she read about the idea on a blog after Comedy Central bleeped out part of an episode of "South Park" that mentioned the prophet.

"This is meant to be in protest," she said. "This is something I have felt strongly about for a long time: Bullying by certain Muslim groups will not be tolerated in a free country," said Sulpovar, who is American.

CNN.com: Pakistan blocks YouTube, Facebook over 'sacrilegious content'

Floyd Landis

The American cyclist whose 2006 Tour De France victory was nullified after a positive doping test now admits to using performance-enhancing drugs. He also claims that other Americans did the same, including seven-time Tour winner Lance Armstrong.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Landis, who has denied drug use ever since the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency suspended him from the sport for two years, sent emails to cycling officials and sponsors, saying he and other riders took synthetic blood thinners and steroids. He also called current anti-doping efforts “a charade.” Landis has presented no proof of the allegations against others.

Wall Street Journal: Cyclist Floyd Landis admits doping, alleges use by Armstrong and others

Michelle Pelton

The former student athlete from Massachusetts is scheduled to testify Thursday at a House Education Committee hearing on “The Impact of Concussions on High School Athletes.”

According to her prepared testimony, Pelton’s first two concussions occurred during junior high school basketball games. Her life changed to include hospitalization, headaches, dizziness, memory loss, lack of concentration and depression.

More sports—and more concussions—followed.

“I cannot even begin to explain the daily struggle my life has become and everything I have lost because of my concussions," she says. "No one can see my injury, but it’s there.”

Pelton, 19, doesn’t want one more student athlete to endure what she has been through. She says lawmakers need to encourage a standard policy across the country.

Sportsconcussion.net

Sports Legacy Institute

Julian Galindo

The former Marine from Nebraska saw his dream come true. Galindo, 50, suffers from a rare degenerative brain disease. Doctors have given him a limited prognosis.

He wrote to the Dream Foundation that it was his lifelong wish to watch the Marine Corps Evening Parade and Silent Drill performance at the nation’s oldest Marine post in Washington. On May 14, shortly after Galindo and his wife, Vicky, arrived at the Marine barracks, they heard the announcement that the parade was cancelled because of rain.

While Galindo visited with Marines in the barracks, the rain let up and the clouds parted. Then, the Marines who were still there decided to get back into their event uniforms and put on a special performance just for the Galindos, who sat alone watching in the stands.

“The Marines did not receive a directive,” said Capt. Lisa Lawrence. “They independently decided to do this for Julian, their fellow Marine.”

Dream Foundation

1. Matt

Loved his movies, but man, RR is a joke off the screen. Was he wearing his plastic frame glasses when he said, "Stand up to Big Oil"?

May 20, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kristina Erin Kaye

Wow ... what a stupid and pathetic remark by Matt. He's (Robert Redford) trying to make a better future for all of us and you make such a remark!

May 20, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • slorgg

... Celebrities are not experts on anything besides their own fat asses.
      My first "moron" tipoff was the CO2 pollution BS from these ninnies that think that global warming is anything more than a plan to transfer wealth.

I will begin to give credit to the media and govt begin to roll back the the withholding of Tesla's free energy work. But I guess that's either too hard to research or to close to a "conspiracy" for most of the pigs happy eating their slop.

May 20, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • jphilly08

not many people know that tesla invented the radio, or that he invented AC electrical current. as well as many of the inventions thomas edison was credited for. edison was mostly a businessman and less of a inventor. tesla brought us into the future. and his research on free energy can bring us even farther

May 20, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Big Oil still fuels Mr. Redford's private jet as he circles the globe. Classic do as I say, not as I do.

May 20, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Kristina Erin Kaye

Well, I for one will sit back and wait for Mr. Redford and Mr. Gore to make this world a better place.
      Good things come to those who wait, and I intend to do just that.

Sir, I bid you good day!

May 20, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bill stapp

I have stopped listening to celebrities and politicians talk about our need to control our energy use until I am certain that the one speaking lives a life of modest energy use. Otherwise I see it as another way to get some more minutes of fame infront of the media.

May 20, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Fred Garvin

The "American Power Act" what a joke.....what are you idiots going to call it next......The "Really, No Really it's Not a Tax" Act?

May 20, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Our nation is dependent on foreign oil and the oil companies, we've just experienced one of the worst, if not the worst man-made ecological disasters in history centered on oil, and all you can comment on is the name of the act? Who's the idiot here?

May 20, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Edward

Bill – the oil spill in the gulf is nowhere near the worst ever. At it's current rate, it would take approximately 487 years for it to release as much oil as Saddam did when he had his troops light all of the oil fields on fire in Kuwait. Even with the top estimates of the Gulf oil spill (100,000 barrels per day – some think it's only 5,000 per day) it is *much* less than the 6,000,000 barrels per day of the Kuwaiti oil fires of the early 90s.
      So, it's great that you want to try and dismantle someone's credibility, but please try to do it with facts rather than pulling something out of your butt and hoping no one is smart enough to figure out that is where you got your information.

May 20, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. jimnuthousiki

Well, Its a fashionable trend and feel-good-about-yourself attempt by most of these celebrities. I think most of the Hollywood crowd's efforts toward their so called favorite charity is either a publicity gimmick or attempt to justify their suddenly acquired stature. Most of therm are totally out of sync with reality, But I do think guys like RR, a little more in tune with reality, are sincere in their efforts. None of them are experts on monetary systems or national policies or international politics, so their comments are to be taken with a grain of salt. Afterall that's what we do with commercials on TV, don't we?

May 20, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. T Wilson

I have the utmost respect for Robert Redford. He is such a positive influence and I admire him for his talent and character. It's one thing to talk and quite another to be proactive. Also, Robert I have to say you will always be one of my favorites for all time! (Talk about hot at any age!!!!)

May 20, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. Kristina Erin Kaye

I see by the 2 comments other than mine, that the readers here would prefer not to pay attention to what is wrong with our oil dependence and to just proceed as normal. Ignore the oil crisis and drill, drill drill seems to be the answer. Oil is necessary currently, but certainly acknowledging that it causes sooo many problems would be an intelligent conversation. Knocking Robert Redford or any Senator speaking against Big Oil is just plain ignorant of what is happening.

May 20, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Dean

People like Redford are not taken seriously because of their lifestyles. He uses more fuel traveling between his different homes than most common people use totally. Plus he can afford the $8.00 gasoline that the liberals want. Kind of like Al Gore and global warming. His use of fuel just to heat his house is greater than my subdivisions usage.
      And he is making a fortune while being a hypocrit.

May 20, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. ROB

beside a couple of decent movies what expertise does rr bring to the debate besides opinions. i for one am tired of celebraties being treated as the enlightened when most of them are spoiled little brats that dont live in the real world and know no more [probably less] than us in fly over country....

May 20, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Why does he need to have expertise to enter the debate? Does that mean that I can't discuss it, or you, because presumable neither one of us have expertise related to oil? I've used oil my entire life; I know it's a limited resource; I understand the economics of it, and I know that there are alternatives to help ease our dependency on it. I'm sure he's even more well informed than I, or most probably, you. If you don't agree with his position, say so... but don't chastise him because he's not an expert, or worse yet, because he's a "celebrity". That's just stupid on your part..

May 20, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Kristina Erin Kaye

Hooray to Bill!!!

May 20, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Rob, I agree with you. There are some celebrities that walk the talk. Ed Begley Jr for one. Many not agree with all his positions but I respect him all the same. He IS concerving energy personally. Then you have the likes of Robert Redford who probably entered the discussion because his PR man said he needed more exposure.

May 20, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Steve in CT

People are too immature to take a serious look at Sarah Palin instead of sniping and see how she went against the crooked politicians of Alaska and reigned in big oil. She should be Energy Czar of the US. Also, how many people research energy projects in the works such as Tres Amegas in New Mexico to know what they're talking about? POTUS is blowing money that could be invested in such ventures.

May 20, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Arthur

Steve– POTUS doesn't control the money, Congress does.

May 20, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Dean

If you think Obama does not control the money you are a foolish fellow.

May 20, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • ficheye

God help us from people like you and Sarah Palin. Whatever publicity that they get, Redford and Sean Penn are doing more than the diaper section of whiners and critics that weigh in here with an 'opinion' on these folks. The publicity that they get is actually worth a lot since it gets people attention away from their own navels.

May 20, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • OldGoat

Are you idolizing the same Sean Penn who hangs out with dictators?

May 20, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mike Stout

bill stapp

AMEN Bill. It is like Al Gore spreading propganda and winning awards and the mean while he uses some 58% more energy that the average American (percentage if from my old age recollection). They need to walk the walk, before talking.

May 20, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Ignoring the issue because it's being brought up by a celebrity is ridiculous. Forget the messenger for a sec and listen to the message. It's like refusing to get out of a burning house because a smoker is telling you the house is on fire.

May 20, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  11. petrol

To Rob:

More people are going to listen to RR than to you. He is using his star power to draw attention to a very important issue and I admire him for that. More than I can say for you who can only put down other people! What are you doing to drawn attention to the energy crisis???

May 20, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. Greg

"...encouraging businesses to shift to clean energy sources." "Encouraging" has much better connotations than "force," doesn't it?

May 20, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. Kristina Erin Kaye

If any of you writing in negative response to this article were to make a public appearance to voice your opinions do you really think anyone would listen ... would the media be there to cover your speech? No. The fact that there are celebrities willing to speak out and address problems is the reason why this is being covered. Admire those willing to help us all, not just sit there and say he's after more time in the public eye. What a stupid argument. I think you folks who think like this are cronies of Big Oil sent here to be disruptive!

May 20, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. Katherine Riebe

Regardless of some negative comments made by some here, I have to say I think it is great actors and actresses stand up and fight for causes worth fighting for. There is definitely a need for ALL of us to help protect Mother Earth. After all, our earth IS a living and breathing organism just like you and I. So Robert Redford, I commend you for standing up for Her! We need more "enlightened" and "intelligent" persons educating those who don't give a hoot about their planet, minds, bodies or spirits. And by the way, I've been a fan of yours since the movie, "The Way We Were" – loved that movie! And of course, I love ya in all your others movies too, like "A River Runs Through It"; "All the President's Men"; and "The Sting". Great movies and what a career you have had and still are having! Keep up the terrific work you do!

May 20, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. William T.

I am rich and famous so I must know what I am talking about.

Oh shut up and make a movie.

May 20, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |