May 22nd, 2010

Insurgents attack Afghan NATO base

Insurgents attacked a U.S.-NATO base in southern Afghanistan on Saturday night, firing rockets and attempting to breach the base perimeter before security forces repelled them, the military said.

Five rockets were fired at Kandahar Air Field, according to the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan. Several insurgents also attempted to enter the base, but were not able to gain entry, ISAF said in a news release.

No fatalities were reported, but ISAF said some civilian workers and base personnel were injured. ISAF did not elaborate on the nature of the injuries.

Base personnel were being told "to remain in safe locations as a precaution."

The attack comes three days after nearly a dozen insurgents and a U.S. contractor were killed when a group launched an early morning attack on Bagram Air Base just north of Kabul.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • World
  1. Dan

Everyone is too busy worrying about the great Americans like Bret Michaels condition or Kate Gosselin to report a little bity attack at a major hub in Afghanistan.

May 23, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jennifer

This should definitely be a major news story. It just so happens my boyfriend is on that base right now. This stuff worries to half to death when it happens. It should be a bigger story. Our soldiers should be important to us!

May 23, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. Judy

My son is in Kandahar and is scheduled to be home Friday morning. I am hearing very little about this attack. Come on CNN what is your problem, this is major news for some of us here. The men and women who are fighting and putting their lives on the line should be breaking news.

May 23, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tanya

My husband is there. He sent an e-mail to let me know he was ok and when I told him I didn't know about the attack he told me to check CTV. They had information in the evening news and online. I guess maybe it's CNN's popular view of the news that skews what they report on. Instead more domestic affairs rather than international affairs are focused on, since that's what people are interested in.

May 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Stuck in Afghany

I am also currently stationed at KAF. As an American troop, it's really cool how I get on here and read all these responses, most of which are supporting us. Sometimes support from back home is the only kind of reassurance you get out here, whether your home is the US, Canada, Great Britain, or any of the other allied countries who deserve just as much praise as the US is getting on this post....they lose family members out here too. There is a reason we don't get on the computer and email every time there is a rocket attack. It's senseless to scare civilians who hear "rocket attack" and imagine it's something horrible. Though it's hard for us, keeping loved ones less informed keeps their mind at ease, trust me. Thanks to all of our supporters...it does NOT go unnoticed. As long as we have that, the Taliban can keep setting them up, but we'll keep knockng them down.

May 23, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hazel Jeremy

My daughter is also currently working at KAF so I do know that families at home tend to worry. My thoughts are with you all – civilian as well as military. Keep safe. xx

May 25, 2010 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. carla kkoukii

just a note, do u know these idiots in afghanistan why the blew themselves? lots of reasons...they dont c women...women are like wearing curtains and sheets all over..no alcohol..no parties...BUT if the blew themsleves they will get 72 VIRGIN what a deal huh!
    GOD protect our troops from these idiots

May 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. John Walters

We can only hope our coalition forces fight back in the best methods possible. They are constantly making use of new technology and just introduced MultiCam BDU which will help their camouflage capabilities in Afghanistan. You can see some of the latest designs in clothing at http://www.predatorbdu.com

May 24, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. Hazel Jeremy

The same goes for news in the UK – nothing on any of the channels. The first I knew about the attack was when my daughter who is working at the air base phoned me on Sunday morning to say she was fine and she hoped I hadn't been worrying about her too much'.

May 24, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |