May 22nd, 2010

NBA fines Mavs owner $100K for Lebron James comments

The National Basketball Association has fined Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban $100,000 for violating anti-tampering rules with public comments he made about Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James.

The fine was announced Saturday by Joel Litvin, NBA president of league and basketball operations.

Cuban made the comments about James in an interview with CNNMoney.com.on May 18.

In the interview, Cuban said his Mavericks would be interested in pursuing the two-time MVP should he become a free agent on July 1.

"Come July 1, yeah, of course. Anybody would be interested in LeBron James, and if he leaves via free agency, then it's going to be tough," Cuban said in the interview.

"If he does like I'm guessing, hoping he will, which is say, 'I'm not going to leave the Cavs high and dry,' if he decides to leave - there's still a better chance he stays - then he'll try to force a sign-and-trade, and that gives us a chance. ... What I do know about LeBron in the minimal time I've spent talking to him is he just wants to win. Money's not his issue. He needs to be someplace where he trusts the organization.”

The NBA's anti-tampering policy was detailed in a memo to all 30 teams in 2008:

"If a member of your organization is asked by the media about a potential free agent prior to the July 1 following the last season covered by the player's contract, or about any other person under contract with another NBA team, the only proper response is to decline comment."

Post by:
Filed under: Sports • Uncategorized
  1. Shareen Hegde

Remember TX already had an LBJ ? – Lyndon B Johnson..They don't want this one LeBron James..

May 23, 2010 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Vegas Glory

To Nolz; You spent a whole paragraph spouting off at the fingers about the virtues of Texas and you never even mentioned anything about your thoughts about the topic at hand. So, while you're fingers and brain where busy vomiting out factoids about Texas. How about this one that you glaringly left out: The state of Texas, is in first place in the death penalty, and a matter of fact, most death row inmates are processed within one to two years upon being placed on death row (this includes appeals). Surely, Texas is the "fry 'em" state. Oh, and let's not forget about the scourge of violence that permeates inner-city Houston. What state does not have it's share of problems. We are in the United States, where you get an opportunity to live out your life and make home or visit ALL of the great states. It pains me to here fellow Americans top about what state better than the other. Come on guys, we are suppose to be "United". Some of you guys are like rotten sport fans in talking about various states and hurling insults from behind a keyboard. Grow up!! I love NY just as much as I do Texas, California or even Alabama. I digress. Here are my thoughts on the topic at hand after the jump!

Now, speaking of Cuban; he said exactly what other NBA Owners are thinking. However, I think he has diarrhea of the mouth and 100k is a drop in the bucket for him. That is Cuban's idiotic way of putting it out there, that he's interested in Labron. However, I don't the Mavs are a match for Labron. They need a few more pieces in order to move deeper in the playoffs or even to entice Labron. However, if he decides to go to NY or NJ, those teams do have enough in salary cap space to surround Labron with ample enough talent (and let's hope that they are a collection of seasoned playoff vets and young talent).

May 23, 2010 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Nolz

Vegas: You criticize me for giving facts and then proceed to chastise me for leaving some out? Make up your mind. Spouting off the virtues of Texas? Not quite. Defending it against the ignorant, hate-filled comments of others - yes. I'm not a cheerleader of any particular State... like you pointed out, they all have great attributes and at the same time are flawed. I was and still am, however, quick to point out that tx shouldn't be written off so callously as the "worst" state in the union and I simply provided some fact (excuse me...vomited facts) to back that assertion up. While we are on the subject of facts – based on the most recent crime rates, not a single city in Texas is among the top 25 most dangerous cities in the US. Scourge of violence? Really? But hey, as some Texans have said, you keep telling everyone how much Texas sucks so others don't move there and drive up the cost of living.
      As for actual topic at hand – the fine is hardly a slap on the wrist considering the maximum penalty. Deserved or not, I think Cuban was aware of what he was saying and the possible implications and the punishment amounts to a rounding error on his bank statement.

May 23, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bob

He knew damn well he would be fined for saying that. He's just laughing now because 100k is chump change for him and now he has made his intentions very clear to Lebron. He probably thought the comments were worth it.

May 23, 2010 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. fritzb

Texas likes to think of itself as a western state – it is not. Texas is a southern state. Once you understand that fact, most of the other Texas-based nonsense begins to make sense.

The Texas Board of Education disaster can be understood by the following quote from Mark Twain: "In the beginning, God created idiots – that was just for practice. Then He created School Boards."

May 23, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I like that. I know Sam was quite a wit but I never heard that one before and I will remember that one.

May 23, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • nowinners

southern state?? you need to read up on your geography little fritzb....it's actually a south central U.S. state... with the western portions of the state considering themselves south-western. get your facts straight and cease your attempts at being a revisionist.

May 23, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. digr

a drop in the bucket for Cuban. the fine could have been double that, and he still would have said it.

May 23, 2010 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. mac316

cuban does what cuban does nba does what nba does al the mess talked about texas not much was said about the player the organization or why cuban was fined it really a shame that politics has infected sports because of a couple of president lived there neither of which cared about basketball cuban broke a rule and got fined for it its like running a stop sign his mouth ran a stop sign leave the politics out of sports discussions please yu hear enough of the bullcrap from wshington dc

May 23, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. Moose

This league also recently fined the Boston GM for throwing a towel during a free throw attempt to distract the shooter. Yet every other team in the league encourages their fans and mascots to do the same thing. Reminds me of the old NFL: No Fun League. Idiots running these leagues. And i haven't even started on the worst: Baseball!

May 23, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joe

A fine for what? Making a comment? Get real.

May 23, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. Juiceman26

Lets get real. Cleveland is a waste of time for him and I think he'll realize that. Anywhere he goes will be better than what he's got.

May 23, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lini

I am appalled at how the NBA has been handing out ridiculous fines. I call such a fine "reckless". The NBA has gone rogue

May 23, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Marktmurphy5

Stern has Cuban fined every time Cuban goes to the crapper. It's what keeps league revenue from dropping year to year.

May 23, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  12. Benny

Many fortune 500 companies wanted to go to texas bcause of the low taxes etc. = low because of oil etc. It is a state in the union, so of course it's great. and dont hate the players for making all their money. I would do the same. But you can blame the owners for having such high admission prices. thats why I dont go to any pro sports. Just as soon watch it all on T.V

May 23, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. racer341

Texas sucks. If the USA was going to get a enema, we would need to stick the hose in texas. Go big Red!

May 23, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

And yes, GO BIG RED!

May 23, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  14. racer341

Actually San Antonio is abeautiful place.

May 23, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rizwan

sure, $100k will make him go broke and will never ever make such stupid careless comments again.

May 23, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |