May 23rd, 2010

At least 32 killed in wrong-way crash in China

At least 32 people were killed and 21 people were injured when a truck driving the wrong way on a highway crashed into a bus in northeast China's Liaoning Province early Sunday, state media said.

The truck went the wrong direction after driving out of a service area along the expressway, a spokesman with the Liaoning Public Security Bureau told the Xinhua news agency.

Three people on the truck and 28 passengers on the bus died at the scene, Xinhua reported. One of the injured later died at a hospital, the agency said.

The crash occurred on a section of a four-lane expressway in Fuxin City where road maintenance crews have been working, according to Xinhua.

Filed under: China
  1. musementride

爱 愿 中国 灾民 Love & Hope to all the China Victims

May 23, 2010 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
    • john

thanks! I know most of American don't like Chinese ,because they think chinese manufacture too much cheap goods,brought a big pressure to them.Hearing such a different reply,I feel so glad.

June 4, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. dudu

I was hoping that CNN is an platform with highly educated people who read and provide constructive comments. That is why I hope to learn and gain some knowledge by coming to CNN site. After reading one by one comments with bias hate toward Chinese innocent death, I believe US is no longer a land with Christian love for all mankind. CCN also is no longer a place to gain constructive knwledge. Dadly enough.

May 23, 2010 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
    • bama

I am sorry to say, these people are an embarrassment. I am not sure how old they are, maybe 11 or 12. Very mean people.

May 23, 2010 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Yankee fan

"US is no longer a land with Christian love for all mankind"? Christian love? Do you mean the love that they had when they enslaved the Africans? The Christians who had them chained while they came across the ocean to be sold like chattel – mothers and fathers separated from their children to be whipped and beaten, sometimes to death? Or do you mean the Christian love when they burned witches at the stake? Was the Christian love enough for you when they systematically stole land from the Native Americans and slaughtered them? Oh...that's Christian love. Sorry...this country was NOT founded on Christian love. It was founded on greed, hatred, and murder. And for someone like you to denigrate others who are simply making jokes telling them they've lost the Christian love is the epitome of hypocrisy.

May 23, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • xiongmu

Why don't you go talk about your own media biases in the PRC. Chinese media is constantly criticizing the people and culture in America and the West. Chinese who complain about American media are the biggest hypocrites because their media has been ignorantly criticizing us for decades.

May 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joe Parent

May 23, 2010 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. Doug

You go now !

May 23, 2010 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. ba ba ba

blah blah blah ba ba ba

May 23, 2010 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. peng

Americans, self-righteous guy.

May 23, 2010 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Xia

I am sorry for the lost lives.

May 23, 2010 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. HeadShaker

It was an illegal from Arizona

May 23, 2010 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. R

Where the hell are the monitors.... if I go by the comments allowed on here there are a large percentage of Americans who are complete racist FCKING Idiots.

America you deserve the terrorists create, you deserve your oil disaster.... you deserve everything coming to you.

May 23, 2010 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
    • boogadaboogada

I'd like some extra starch in the collar and cuffs, please.

May 23, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. Fred54

Anybody who has been to China and driven on Chinese roads knows they do this ALL the time there. The first time
    I was in a car being driven by a Chinese business partner, he missed his exit on the expressway. He just pulled a "U"
    turn and started driving back the other way. He looked over and said." Don't worry this normal for China, we must be
    very careful now. The last time I was there a bus went down an entrance ramp to a toll highway. When he got to the
    toll booth he changed his mind, turned around and drove back up the entrance ramp the wrong way. When traffic is
    jammed, say outbound on the highway during the evening commute, thousands of vehicles just drive outbound on
    the inbound side because there is less traffic. I kid you not, this was EVERYWHERE in Shenzhen and Guangzhou.
    I watched as traffic, including heavy trucks used the playground of an elementary school to get around an accident.
    I watched as cement trucks and semi's rumbled right through the middle of the playground with toddlers playing a
    few feet away. Yet nobody speeds because you can get a ticket for that. China is a very interesting place to drive..

May 23, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
    • CitizenWong

Very interesting that it's now news because multiple people died. I believe the tradition in China is that the government will announce a crackdown, nail a few to the wall and make them public examples and parade them in front of the media and even fire a couple of low ranking government officials. Once society is satisfied with the swift answer, everyone just go back to how it was before – driving the WONG WAY! Same thing in America – once the "bad guys" are caught then everyone goes back to the same routine.

May 23, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. bama

Never argue with idiots . They will bring down to their level and beat you with experience. If I insulted anyone making comments, it was my pleasure.

May 23, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. bama

This is not Freedom of Speech – These comments are Hate speech which is subjected to limitations. These comments are not funny, they are mean. People are dead. I am sure if it happened to be your family member you would not be making such terrible comments, but then again, maybe you would because you have no hearts.

May 23, 2010 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jon O.

Wow. China has been having some bad luck lately. At least this is an "accident" and not a killing spree – RIIP Chinese folks.

May 23, 2010 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. Pat

I have to agre with many of the posts here. The comments are racist, irrevelant and sad. CNN gives people an opportunity to discuss an article not make pathetic comments like I read. I am saddened at how some Americans are so ignorant and biased and make absolutely uncalled for commentary....please, CNN follow through with your policies and screen some of these posts. I would think some of these people are continual abusers of the policies-do not let them post. Freedom of speech is one thing, but cruel comments is a totally different matter. I agree, with the one person, freedom of speech with respect and wisdom...please folks, be respectful!

May 23, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. j

Asians are the worst drivers!

May 23, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |