May 23rd, 2010

At least 32 killed in wrong-way crash in China

At least 32 people were killed and 21 people were injured when a truck driving the wrong way on a highway crashed into a bus in northeast China's Liaoning Province early Sunday, state media said.

The truck went the wrong direction after driving out of a service area along the expressway, a spokesman with the Liaoning Public Security Bureau told the Xinhua news agency.

Three people on the truck and 28 passengers on the bus died at the scene, Xinhua reported. One of the injured later died at a hospital, the agency said.

The crash occurred on a section of a four-lane expressway in Fuxin City where road maintenance crews have been working, according to Xinhua.

Filed under: China
  1. Right Way

Steve, if I'm not mistaken, the "average IQ" cannot fall below 100, since 100 is the definition of "average IQ". 100 just becomes a lower standard.

May 23, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. CitizenWong

I am gonna end the thread by REPORTING YOU ALL!!!

May 23, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Biff

Wong again. We don't live in a commie country that imprisons people for no reason like in commie China so report all you want. Be careful though some crazy chink farmer gonna kill your kids in school!

May 23, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. diane

I don't know if is better news coverage or a bit more freedom in the country but, it appears that events in China are making news here. This was a terrible tragedy as was the stabbing at the school. It appears that the pressures of life are hitting that country and the people are not handling it well. It makes me wonder if a big change is coming for the people of China.

May 23, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. CitizenWong

Redneck Biff, it's fly rice! We stay in Tibet long time now no plan to leave and will imprison anyone if you even say something in sleep 🙂 We don't need reason and no need to concoct terrorist theory and blame another country before taking it over. We see what we like then we take. We make friends with countries that you try to eradicate and we own your *ss because you owe us much money. No need bullets to take over America – We will forclose!

May 23, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Larry

I've been to China 7 times and the driving behaviours there are crazy. I'm not surprised to read this and I've seen vehicles drivng the wrong way on highways many times often because they've changd their minds or want to avoid a traffic jam up ahead. As the number of vehicleds increases substantially every year there needs to be substancial campgain to increase the awareness of safety.

May 23, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. CitizenWang

We buy US treasuries so that generations of Americans will fund China's future. Yes your kids will pay through the nose so that our kids can live a good live. Your kind donations will allow us to hire kung fu guards for every school and fight American spy who come to harm our kids. If you don't pay the we will forclose! We don't want fight just keep paying, ok?

May 23, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. CitizenWang

I reported abuse and I got blocked!? Way to go Chinese News Network!

May 23, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Biff

That's cuz your wang is too small...

May 23, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. Adam

Acutually the signs in China are quite good. I should know, I've been there. And the roads are also very well maintained. And all of the expressways outside of the cities in China are toll, so there is an incentive to keep them in excellent shape. Chances are that the person got confused when pulling out of the rest area. Happens here in the USA all the time.

May 23, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm Adam too

@Adam,

You are obviously not from America, so please don't try to act like you are. No, people in rest stops don't go the wrong way often in the U.S., and it is ridiculous to even suggest that. Again, you are a total fabricator when you speak of the Chinese roads. If you are in a major city, you are going to have fairly good and well maintained roads. Not perfect, but very good. In anything smaller than the major cities you see extremely poor road conditions. HOWEVER, even on the good roads in the major cities, drivers drive on the wrong side quite often. Don't kid yourself by thinking, or saying that American's (even the worst) drives anything like the majority of Chinese in China. In fact, if you look at driving statistics, China has the most per car accident record BY FAR, and it's increase is also faster than any other countries as more people get cars.

I have traveled China extensively, and have seen the people are generally very wonderful, but, just in every culture, there are a few that harbor hurtful thoughts and ideas. One of my Chinese friends told me that my country was mostly destroyed on 9/11, and that China is already "more important" than the U.S. He told me that Hitler and the Dali Lama are both terrorists, and that they should go to America and finish it off. He is no longer my friend. It would do me no good to argue with him. He only understands what he was taught. Most of my Chinese friends are wonderful people, proud and strong, confident in their country. I think China is an amazing place, and the people are wonderful (most of them, just as I like most of the American people I know.), but some have very strong feelings brought upon by years of exclusiveness and the mysteriousness of only understanding the Chinese way of life, but nothing else. Much of the free world has an understanding of other cultures, at least a basic understanding. Most non-rich Chinese don't have any idea about the world outside of their own city, and/or TV. I hope that as time passes that China and its people unite with America and it's people and lead the world together (maybe with a few other countries). NOT RULE THE WORLD, but LEAD the world to a better place. I also wish for the Chinese people to know that Americans want goodness, and I want Americans to know that the Chinese people also want goodness.

It is sad that people died over this incident. I have faced many close calls in China, and wish that the measures to correct the behavior will work to help lower the rising accident rate here.

May 28, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. Three Dog Mama

I hate people that make jokes of accidents. I hate people who show how dumb they are. I hate people who think that they are smarter than everyone else. I hate a lot of the posters on this because they make fun of a bad accident. I hope that none of you are never involved in a bad accident and have people that you don't know make fun of you. Show some compassion. Or is having some compassion for your fellow humans not important to you?

May 23, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. Zamrew

Most of these comments are silly. Chinese: you need to understand the context of this news and of the comments. 30 people dead after someone went the wrong way is big news. It's not reported on to shame or embarrass china. It's to inform and was likely lifted from a state media report, so relax. The whole point of CNN posting this is to show more about china to the world. News is neither all positive or negative and many chinese need to stop seeing every "negative" report as bad. When I see an article like this for example, it makes me extra cautious to drive and supportive of regulations to increase truck driver safety. Americans should be a bit more sensitive to the fact that many Chinese are not used to the same news mix and expect more positive news stories. Unfortunately it is the same in Chinese media when reports highlight disaster in strife overseas. I do think some Chinese stubbornly do not see how it is the same in their own country. Would someone like to say how many US "positive" or "human interest" stories are broadcast on the Chinese news media, say on a program like Xin Wen Lian Bo?

May 23, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sportnman

Wow-

And I thought all the true Idiots, Morons, and unsympathetic people were on the Fox News website!!!

It is always interesting to see people who are proud to be IGNORANT!

May 23, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sportnman

Wow-

So le me get this straight...all the ignorant, rant raving lunatics are now on this website and not Fox News???

It always amazes me that people are proud to be unsympathetic and ignorant.

May 23, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. JK

Too terrible, God bless them.

May 23, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MikeyV

Born and raised in America and been to China many times, and know a little something about them, their culture and virtues. At the end of the day, the Chinese people are no different than Americans. We think alike in many ways, just take different roads to get to the same place, due to differing histories and philosophies no doubt. I challenge any ignorant poster here to supply reasonable evidence to the contrary and to explain why you believe you are superior or inferior to your Chinese cousins.

May 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. zeusspace

As long as my master shot, whatever disaster of the world can come to naught. The trivial drought in southwest and coalmine mishap in China, if only FaLun Dafa disciples take Dafa banners to pray for rain, it is going to rain. In the mining area, the master’s law body will protect the dead miners to ascend to paradise.

May 25, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |