May 25th, 2010

BP will continue Gulf oil feed during 'top kill'

Rep. Edward Markey said his office was notified the feed of the oil spill will be shut down while BP tries the "top kill" procedure.

[Updated at 9:20 p.m.] BP says it will continue to provide live video feeds of oil gushing from the seabed of the Gulf of Mexico while it attempts to seal the damaged well in a procedure known as "top kill."

"BP agreed to make the live feed of the top kill attempt available at the request of the President and the National Incident Center," an administration official told CNN.

Preparations for the procedure are continuing with the expectation that it could be activated on the morning of Wednesday May 26, 2010, BP said in a statement Tuesday night.Throughout the top kill procedure - which may take up to two days to complete - significant changes in the appearance of the flows at the seabed may be expected, BP said. The changes will not provide a reliable indicator of the progress of the operation as a whole and BP will report on the progress of the operation as appropriate, the company said.

[Updated at 6:10 p.m.] BP told the chairman of the House subcommittee on energy and the environment that it will be killing the live feed video of the spill at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico while it attempts to seal the well using the "top kill" procedure, Rep. Edward Markey said in a statement.

“It is outrageous that BP would kill the video feed for the top kill. This BP blackout will obscure a vital moment in this disaster,” Markey said in a statement. “After more than a month of spewing oil into the Gulf of Mexico, BP is essentially saying to the American people the solution will not be televised.”

But BP said no decision has been made yet on whether to temporarily suspend live webcam coverage from the sea bed during the operation.

"Any statement that a decision has already been taken to stop the feed is both inaccurate and premature," BP said in a statement Tuesday afternoon. “As we have been throughout our response to this incident, BP remains committed to full transparency in all our actions.”

Markey's said BP was expected to terminate the live feed Wednesday, but BP said it's still considering its opti0ns.

“We are working extremely closely with multiple agencies across the Government and the Unified Command in considering how best to continue to provide access and information throughout the ‘top kill’ procedure. Over the next few days we will be carrying out a sensitive and complex procedure involving multiple simultaneous operations, and we are in active discussion as to whether the live feed from the sea bed that we have been broadcasting will continue to provide meaningful information through this complicated and unpredictable procedure.

1. paddy

bob, why do you wish to see this. what if it gets blurry from the work, and silt. Oh, it would be a cover up. Whos the idiot?

May 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob

Obviously you!

May 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Julie

I just started watching this live feed of the spill earlier today (it's been open for over an hour on my desktop, in the background) and it really puts this into perspective - it just gushes and gushes constantly. And you realize it's been doing that while you sleep, every morning, while you eat dinner, while you're at work . . . constantly for hours and hours and hours. It is sickening to think of how much oil it is. I showed it to my 7th grader students and they were similarly alarmed.

It upsets me, too, that BP will kill the live feed during the attempted solution... I mean, they have ROYALLY screwed up. How do they still get to make decisions to save face? I'm sure their reasoning is something along the lines of, "it might go wrong, and we might do something stupid, and we don't want that pressure while trying to fix it," but you know what? I want a RECORD of the crap they do from here on out just like I want a RECORD of the crap they've done heretofore so they can be held accountable for every single second of it.

May 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bkri

When is the government going to seize all assets of BP and the others involved to be sure this damage is paid for? If it were decided by any part of the government that some "regular" citizen was responsible for even $1000, they would be "jumped" upon right away with excessive force. BP and others know they do not have to care and the tax payers will eat the cost, live in the wasteland created and pay BP hugh profits to make up for anything they payout plus bonuses.

May 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

They should fill the hole with BP execs. The obviously had no contingency plan, and have no clue how to stop this, and to hear that it could go on until August is just something that our government should not even consider a possibility. I know I will never pull into another BP gas station and I hope everyone else will do the same.

May 25, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. american idiot

Back off of BP already! Let them do their job! ...Go Rand Paul!!

May 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Wally

BP = Bumbling Polluters

May 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ethan

BP is a criminal enterprise. I've been boycotting them.

May 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. paddy

bkri, Thats right like our government has not seized enough:)

May 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dan

I'm positive that everyone wants the same thing. We all want this oil well leak to be fixed. The sooner that we can concentrate on the clean-up, the better off our enviroment will be. I feel sorry for the people of the Gulf Coast Region and my heart aches when I think of the massive death toll on all of the oceanic fish and wildlife in that area. I don't need to see it on television, but I would like to hear the words, " the leak is stopped." Let's all hope we hear those words.

May 25, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Quetzacohtl

I will need concrete evidence to back up those words when I hear them. BP doesn't know how to tell the truth.

May 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • american idiot

It's real big of you to be sad for the fishes. Now face reality. Maybe all Americans should be forced to watch this spill gushing 24/7 until it's capped. Watch first hand what your dependency has done.

May 25, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BV

I agree, I think thy are shutting down the feed because the well is going to gush even more when they try it. If something goes wrong there will be a lot more oil coming out.

May 25, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • sad

i agree bp do not want to show the live feed because it could cause more problems if not successful. it has never been done before and they honestly dont know what is going to happen. they should have had a plan already set up for a situation like this being that the pipe is in the place that is

May 26, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. paddy

Fish oil is good for us right?

May 25, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeremy

I wish they would leave it on, just because it would be interesting to see all of the repairs taking place. I can understand why they would not want everyone to see it. If it's a never before tried procedure, why would they want everyone watching a potential failure? If it works I'm sure they'll be showing the taped footage and asking for a pat on the back.

I never understand the conspiracy theorists that jump on issues like this. I can't see a benefit to BP for dumping 210,000 gallons of oil per day (by most accounts, a ridiculously low estimate) into the ocean, a cleanup cost estimated at $6 mil per day, and the worst PR a company could ever dream of. Those saying that BP is deliberately letting this leak stay open aren't thinking very clearly.

And the comment that we are too dependent on fossil fuels, I agree. But to follow that up with "I am personally enjoying the chaos. Watching everyone scramble like ants."?? Really? This hurts so many aspects of so many lives (human, marine, etc.), how can anyone take enjoyment in the misery of others so much? The joy of saying "I told you so" is worth the misery of millions?

May 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Opkode

Dear Mr. Markey,

Please invite the American people to your next committee meeting where you will be discussing how to further screw us over.

May 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BV

Only a 65-70% chance of success too. I'm praying

May 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Erik

I know several people at BP. Many are working constantly and 7-days a week right now. Unless the EPA and others have viable solutions, then they should support BP's efforts rather than criticize because the latter does not do any good since the accident happened already.

May 25, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • american idiot

For the amount of money BP execs make, they better be working 52 days a week. The roughnecks and and workers cleaning up their mess on salary deserve bonuses on top of their overtime. some of you people are unbelievable

May 25, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Robert

Everyone on this planet deserves to see what's happening down there. It's OUR ocean, Our planet, and there is no way to understate the importance of what's happening in the bottom of the gulf right now. Just as I watched and cheered as a man step foot on the moon for the first time, I want to celebrate this moment also, or grieve as it fails. This affects all of us, in ways maybe none of us even know yet.
    Don't tell me the engineers will be distracted by the camera. They are professionals, their jtask is daunting, and the last thing they will be thinking about is whether you or I are watching. We're all watching. The whole world is watching. It's just a question of whether we are allowed to watch as adults, or treated like children.

May 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |