Federal inspectors overseeing oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico accepted meals and tickets to sporting events from companies they monitored, according to a new report from the Interior Department's inspector general.
In one case, an inspector in the Minerals Management Service office in Louisiana conducted inspections of four offshore platforms while negotiating a job with the company, the report states. Others in the same office accepted tickets to the 2005 Peach Bowl game, and one inspector said, "Everyone has gotten some sort of gift before at some point" from companies they regulated, according to the report.
Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, who has ordered a widespread shake-up of the agency since the massive oil spill now fouling the Gulf of Mexico, called the report "yet another reason to clean house."
Subject: PRO-ACTIVE OIL SPILL CONTINGENCY PLAN, Dated: 10 May, 2010
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: Here‚Äôs a contingency plan that has patented technology and a process that really works.
1. We found a pre-processed material and developed an action plan that would have extracted up to 95% of the oil spill contaminants from seeded surface waters of the Gulf of Mexico, before it hit land fall.
2. Our product is a, ‚ÄúModified Oil Spill Environmental Sponge‚ÄĚ dubbed M.O.S.E.S., it is a ¬ľ‚ÄĚ to ¬Ĺ‚ÄĚ product that can be used to absorb oil contaminants from both ‚Äúfresh water and salt water‚ÄĚ surface oil spills. Our tests have concluded that one ton of product will absorb 125 gallons of oil in less than one hour. Simply put it will absorb approximately one half of its weight in oil. M.O.S.E.S. collects/absorbs oil not water. After saturation M.O.S.E.S. will only contain about 1.4% water. It creates no added impact on marine life or the environment. It also poses no threat to other kinds of wildlife including humans. A fifteen minute test will prove this process works.
3. Our plan is full circle and includes staging, seeding, re-claiming and re-processing all of the contaminated oil‚Äôs and seed materials back into re-usable fuels and commodities.
4. Due to the urgencies to reduce the impact on the environment and the magnitude of this spill, our plan required partnering with the Coast Guard and other organizations that were already being used to provide staging, seeding and reclaim operations.
5. Seeding operations were to be handled in essentially the same way they were being done, with minor and/or no modifications to airborne or aquatic equipment that would handle spreading ¬ľ‚ÄĚ to ¬Ĺ‚ÄĚ particulates.
6. Re-claim operations required the same booms, scoops, pumps and barge operations, that were being used.
7. Re-processing operations proposed a permanent emissions free plant for processing oil, sand and other like materials into re-usable fuels and commodities. The plant would take approximately ninety to one hundred and fifty days to construct and would become a permanent part of a states fast action response to future oil spills.
8. Our plan would have first, assisted with the on-going damage control operations in the gulf; second, it could have been put into operation within seven days; third, it would have become a $30,000,000.00 per year financial benefit to the communities that embraced staging and plant processing operations.
9. This plan will greatly reduced the time and costs associated with this kind of oil spill in the future. We are confident that this type of pro-active plan would become a template for other high risk (oceanic) areas.
So, why was this plan given no consideration at all? It is not a question of if another spill will happen, but when! The only excuses we have been able to come up with that, we are sure you are going to here are, as follows:
a. BP, News Networks and Government Agencies didn‚Äôt have the time to consider a pro-active long term plan?
b. We were crack pots when, this technology is patented and the product could be tested in fifteen minutes?
c. BP has it under control as, they have done this before? Yes and, crazy is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results! We need to get past these smoke screens and prepare for future spills.
Thank you for your time and consideration. We‚Äôd love to receive some constructive input from anyone who is listening.
Craig N. Barthelmas, Verizon Cell:  682-1428, E-Mail: GE1RE22@aol.com
CC: BP., CNN, FOX NEWS, NOAA, Governors of: AL., FL., LA., MS., And TX.
ATTENTION!! The PRO-ACTIVE OIL SPILL CONTINGENCY PLAN listed above will not plug oil leaks but, it will address five major problems; two of witch, are concerns that have not been addressed in the media or in the government.
1. It truly is a LONG TERM-CONTINGENCY PLAN. It will help the community rebuild revenues while providing a fast action operational plan for future oil spills. Yes! Future oil spills will surely occur, despite future prevention efforts!
2. This plan is full circle and would included staging, seeding, re-claiming and re-processing all of the contaminated oil‚Äôs, oil filled sands and seed materials back into re-usable fuels and commodities.
3. It creates no added impact on marine life or the environment. It also poses no threat to humans and/or other forms of wildlife. Oil, feed stock and sand processing are near emissions free processes.
4. It will generate $30,000,000.00 worth of new revenues for the communities that embrace staging and plant processing operations. The plant would remain in full operation after the clean-up is done.
5. It will also add about forty new jobs to the community. This is not only a plan to help with short term clean up‚Äôs, it will also have a positive long term and lasting effect on the community as well.
We all know that BP has been feeding us misinformation and then trying to mobilize volunteers to help minimize their cost. Yes! We sent BP and other agencies this plan. Operations of this nature have a price tag associated with them and so, it would appear that they have no wish to spend anything on spills they can‚Äôt control or that won‚Äôt go back into their pockets. The OMRS-100 technology is patented and, M.O.S.E.S. (The oil absorbent) can be tested in less than fifteen minutes!
As always our government is seeking a short term quickie (political talk) so we can get a long term scr**ing! Has anyone mentioned where they (BP) plan to put and/or dispose of all of that contaminated; oil, sand and material? We are pretty sure that without intervention it will be in somebody‚Äôs back yard, neatly hidden from sight, killing something else. Don‚Äôt you think that any oil spill plan should at least consider: Prevention, Mobilization, Extraction and Disposal Operations?
Thank you for your time. We would love to receive some constructive input from anyone who is as concerned as we are.
Craig N. Barthelmas, Verizon Cell:  682-1428, E-Mail: GE1RE22@aol.com
OK...lets do the math!!! One ton per 125 gallons of oil? this company is trying to take advantage of a bad situation and sadly enough our government is so STUPID that it may work!!! Maybe Al Gore owns this company.
So, 1680 tons for each day of 210,000 gallons! So, you are selling the stuff and looking to capitalize on the "disaster". I hope that you are seen as the charlatan that you are! I bet Chaney/Bush invented or invested in this company
BARACK OBAMA STILL OWES ME $12. I SWEAR TO GOD, IN 1997 I LOANED HIM $12 BECAUSE HE DID NOT HAVE THE MONEY ON HAND AT THE TIME TO BUY HIS WIFE A BIG MAC AND A FISH FILET MEAL. I WANT MY FRIGGIN' MONEY BACK OBAMA!!
Is this product reusable..? Is the absorbed oil able to be extracted from the product, and then reapplied, or recycled into another useable material, perhaps..? Who cares if this guy is in it for money?!? We are facing a very real possibility of a worldwide, cataclysmic event with this, and you dikks are crying about money???? How much did our Government frack us over for to prop up failing banks??? $800 BILLION, you IDIOTS!!! Get off this guys dk, and BP's payroll you duma$$es. This is more than money now. This is about the safety of THE ENTIRE WORLD'S OCEANS. If they cant stop this, there are over 4 TRILLION barrels of oil estimated to be in this well that could be tainting the worlds oceans. It will take them over 3 months, admittedly, to finish the first of, at least, two relief wells. The independant scientific data shows 20,000 barrels leaking per day (fk BP's estimates, they've lost ALL credibility). 90(days) X 20,000(barrels) = 1,800,000 barrels!!!! And that is the minimum. This top-kill action could actually worsen the leak. The seabed may actually collapse underneath the vent and create a fissure, or crater in the seabed that will exponentially increase the volume of the leak. Maybe this is why they are turning off their cameras for the event. Harder to prove what truly happened without the video. Why aren't our Naval submersibles down there with more video coverage? We have some that are specifically designed for deep water surveillance...where are they? At this time, money is irrelevant. Our monetary system is failing anyway, and this, again, is going to be a WORLDWIDE, CATACLYSMIC EVENT.
@ FRED i know your lieing cause i work at mcdonalds and obama always gets the same thing... chicken sandwich, no salt on the fries(so there fresh) , and a big orarge soda no ice.