May 30th, 2010

Airspace violated over Obama's Chicago home

The North American Air Defense Command scrambled a pair of F-16 fighter jets Sunday afternoon over Chicago when a Cessna 150 aircraft violated a temporary restricted flight zone near the residence of President Obama.

The aircraft was intercepted and instructed to land at Lewis University Airport in Romeoville, Illinois, where it was met by local authorities, Maj. Mike Humphrey of NORAD said.  No other details were immediately available.

Romeoville is located about 25 miles southwest of downtown Chicago. The temporary restricted flight area is a standard procedure whenever the president is in an area.  The first family is in Chicago for the Memorial Day
weekend. The Obamas are scheduled to return to Washington on Monday evening.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • U.S.
  1. all of america

Big deal ! so they flew over obama's residence.

May 31, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Ya, it is a big deal actually! He's the president of the United States! Do you have respect for authority? Im guessing not..

May 31, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • carlos

no comment on those two mongrels

May 31, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • oregon153

Really Nick, welll where is Obama's respect for immigration law? Even his own family doesnt follow immigration laws...he will be gone in 2012

May 31, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • mikclark

I wish you idiots had you immigration crap stuck up your @#$%$

May 31, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Ken

I think a large percentage of Americans have respect for Obama any longer. Everything he does is staged (look at the union workers that were bused into his recent speeches) and provide look with no substance. The law doesn't matter to him as per the recent talks where they tried to get Sestak to drop out of the race versus Specter (I'm sure if push comes to shove, Bill or Raum will take the fall to protect his behind). Even the rest of the world lacks respect for him (aka .. how Turkey and Brazil signed an agreement with Iran to launder a small portion of the uranium they produce, giving China the excuse they need to veto any sanctions .. just one example of many). Nope, most people do not respect the him.

May 31, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Obama.....what is there to say.....maybe he should take himself down to Louisiana, and not Chicago, maybe he could give a damn about this country,,,,,,

May 31, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • ArtInChicago

Oh please with this infringement of freedoms crap. This is Sunday where air traffic is minimal. This is the POTUS elected by the people of the US. If you don't respect the person, then respect the position. The Chuck Yeager I know is bigger than that.

May 31, 2010 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
    • OutaTowner

Hey Adam, He has been down there to the gulf TWICE since this has happened. Maybe you could get your facts right before blasting him on some unfounded claim...

May 31, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
    • northside

I don't like Obama but 'art in Chicago' said it correctly 'even if you don't like him, respect the position'.

May 31, 2010 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
    • diesel

Why do people gotta make everything political???? He is the president. It is the law not to fly your stupid a** plane over his house. End of discussion!!

May 31, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Richard

The big difference between the Bush bashers and the new Obama "phobes" is just that; Fear. I believe men, more so than women, are intimidated by a member of the "inferior" race being in such a place of power. It's almost as if common sense is being overcome by a lynch mob mentality. The is further demonstrated by the lack of originality in the message. It's often said that the ability to consistently form ones own opinion is a sign of superior intelligence. This seems to be a trait sorely lacking within this group.

May 31, 2010 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
    • LOL@ObamaSupporters

You democrats are funny. When Bush was in office, you were quick to put him down "regardless of the position". Now your guy is in office and getting some criticism and you expect others to "respect the position"? Give me a break!!

May 31, 2010 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
    • jb

have you actually seen a 152? they are tiny and you can fit the pilot and maybe a bag of chips. they also fly at about 30 miles an hour so before everyone has opinions on this I can say as a pilot this sounds like a mistake by some terrified student pilot. Pilots are more respectful of the safety and well being of the country and take pride in protecting it from the ground and above. this was unfortunate but it is being a bit overblown I believe by the press

May 31, 2010 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

The point is simple: Pilots are supposed to check NOTAM and other notices for the area they fly in.
      The pilot in this case screwed up and either didn't check, made a small error in navigation and barely entered the restricted space or intentionally entered restricted airspace.
      I'd personally vote for didn't check. If so, he'll probably get a fine for his error in judgement.

As for respecting Obama... I respect him as much as any other turd muncher we've put in office over the years. Not at all.
      But I still respect the office.

May 31, 2010 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
    • kelly

i think through all this political crap we truly have forgotten our founding fathers and the original reason america was brought about,too many have forgotten tradition and value shouldnt be considerd outdated and wrong,we started on some good goals and ideals,

May 31, 2010 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
    • freeinhou

Hey Richard – which race is inferior? His white mother or his african father? Please enlighten us which race is inferior in your mind.

May 31, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
    • freeinhou

Someone flew a 152 over a Chicago suburb? Wow. Big news. Now I'm scared to do my touch and go's – it might be a crime. I wouldn't know any better if a president was in the area. Or whatever is considered significant these days.

May 31, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Monterey Jack

It would have been a big deal if the pilot had done more than that, which is a pretty legitimate concern, especially with that terror plot that targeted Chicago.

October 30, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Michael

Shouldn't they call it Tony Retzko's house since he paid for it?

May 31, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
    • ArtInChicago

Ok, it's Tony's house. Feel better?

May 31, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. D

Sometimes I think they take this stuff too seriously, especially for the sheer number of violations that happen. I violated a presidential TFR over Orlando International a few years ago and they almost took my license. It was a .2 miles breach of a 30 mile radius around the airport.

May 31, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

ok, you admit you violated the airspace... they SHOULD have grounded you. why the hell does everyone think laws don't apply to them

May 31, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • mikclark

Maybe they take it serious now because they didnt in 1963 and 2001

May 31, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedtoy

What part of "all available information" didnt catch in your training? Theres never a need to be within a few miles of any TFR. YOUR location doesnt change if radar says you were there. Lots of mid-airs happen that way..loss of 'where the hell am I" goin on up there.

Dont fly like most people drive..please.

May 31, 2010 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
    • D

I am not shy about admitting I made a mistake that nearly (rightfully) cost me my license. I do complain about the fact that the FAA is running a ship lost in the 80's when traffic levels have increased exponentially. Nonetheless, it was a mistake I readily admit to, but it IS a problem with an outdated airspace system and the taxpayer is taking the fall.

May 31, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • OutaTowner

May 31, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedtoy

@OuttaTowner:
      "Hey guys, being up in a Cessna just like the one in the article, I can believe that it'd be easy to accidentally fly into a TFR. Especially if you just barely cross into it. Its not like all planes have GPS that spells out exactly where they are and where the TFR zone is."

You dont do pre-flight briefs anymore either?

It aint _that hard_ to know where one is, and where YOU are in relation to it, even W/O GPS.

Im not EVEN considering a fair amount of radio traffic that would be blown your direction, if you also had positive control of your radio...or not.

May 31, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Henry Miller

Cessna 150s are almost invariably used as trainers. My guess is that the pilot barely knew how to fly the plane, let alone keep track of TFRs.

And, BTW, Obama really ought to stay home in the WH if his travelling is going to inconvenience real people.

May 31, 2010 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedtoy

@HenryMiller
      Doesnt matter what kinda plane it was.

The pilot was by himself. This was a SOLO flight.

SOLO flight as a student requires:
      1) Clear knowledge of flight rules
      2) Clearance from your CFI to take a flight

There is zero excuse for not knowing, even as a student. None, nada.

Keeping track of TFRs is in his -face- as part of his flight planning...Its not easy to miss. Its hard to IGNORE. That early in one's training, planning is in your face fresh.

Whaaaaaambulance required at your address sir?

May 31, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Henry Miller

Oh, come on, Speedtoy. Student pilots are just shy of lost half the time. I mean, years ago, I was joy-riding around POU up in New York when some first-cross-country kid calls the tower all in a panic because he couldn't find the airport that was in plain sight–right behind him.

And, "whaaaaaambulance?" How clever of you...

May 31, 2010 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
    • No BS

Seriously, you're an idiot. Why not fly your plane straight across the glide path of any airport? Why not drive your car on the wrong side of the road? Why not just buy a gun and shoot people as your drive down the highway? The answer of course is PUBLIC SAFETY, but they normally conceal that sort of information in books. Pity they didn't shoot you down. If you can't navigate retard how did you get a license?

May 31, 2010 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lizzy

Still can't believe he's ditching the troops at Arlington National Cemetery.

May 31, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • D

I can, it's Obama.

May 31, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Independentwith brains

How about you comment On George H.W. Bush NEVER ATTENDING A SINGLE CEREMONY during his time in office? Or about the ceremony that dumbya missed???????? But oh no that would mean that you would have to admit that it's not so bad huh? Better yet, how about you read the story straight from the faux news site.....

May 31, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • kraptv

Independentwith Brains' comment TOTALLY OWNS.

Blind hatred is really unbecoming...

May 31, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

He is visiting a Military Cem. in Il. VPOTUS is going to Arlington. There are Military Cem. all over America and the World. The Commander in Chief SHOULD pay respect to ALL who served

May 31, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
    • D

just because I badmouth Obama doesn't mean I didn't badmouth Bush, because I did. I just don't justify Obama's poor excuse as a president on Bush's even POORER excuse as a president. Obama is no better because Bush was worse FYI.

May 31, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedtoy

Ditching what troops? Are troops buried in other cemeteries unworthy of presidential honor once a century of so?

May 31, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
    • mkub

Lizzy's opinion that Obama should be in DC is in no way negated by the fact that other presidents have missed the ceremony. It is possible that some people feel that ALL presidents should have attended this ceremony while in office. I mean, my god, you people are pulling the "well he did it first" card! I'm not pro-hypocrisy, but just because people have failed before doesn't mean we lower the standard for everybody else! Obama was supposed to be "change" dammit!!

May 31, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
    • D

EXACTLY, THANK YOU. America is very sick with a disease that will soon cost future generations the American dream. Settling for something only slightly better than Bush is like settling for a fresh turd sandwich instead of a day old one.

May 31, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
    • pat

Ditching the troops? He paid his respects at another cemetery. No matter what this president does, your kind won't be satisfied with him. He's damned no matter which way he goes. Get over it. Barack Hussein Obama is our president and he is doing a good job. I know that's not how you want it to be, but it's the truth.

May 31, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Look, I can't stand the man, but he is going to Chicago to preside over ceremonies there at the OTHER national cemetery and Biden is doing the bit at Arlington. I don't blame him, really. Chicago is his hometown, after all, and who doesn't like to see family and friends once in a while?

May 31, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • ken

Not all servicemen are buried at Arlington. It has already been stated that President Obama will be going to Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery to pay respect to servicemen. It is not disrespectful, to those laid to rest at Arlington, for the President to pay tribute to the servicemen that many forget in the smaller cemetaries across the country. What his actions show is that all servicemen are important, not just those at Arlington.

May 31, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. Franklin

To Mr./Ms. All of America's retort,
    . . . and could have crashed into it.

May 31, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  6. D

I just think it's insane how strict they are about this stuff yet they let folks run over the Mexico border willy nilly and wanna give em a citizenship for doing so. Change we can believe in, eh?

May 31, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Independentwith brains

Yeah, change from the insider dealings of ol' dumbya......but then again, "He was such a GREAT man"........pffft

May 31, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Independentwith brains

LMAO Typical republican moronic crap. Let's blame the immigration issue on Obama!!!!! LMAO you people are so unintelligent it boggles the mind...

May 31, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
    • D

FYI I'm not a pube – I hated Bush just as much as I hate Obama and yes, as the most powerful man on the planet I DO BLAME OBAMA

May 31, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • funny

Does anyone else find it funny that all the Obama supporters argument for him is to switch to and blame bush, not actually site anything positive about obama? yes bush was terrible but so is obama.

May 31, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • D

They seem to believe that as long as it wasn't as ad as what Bush did it completely okay. Phenomenal way to trash a country from the inside out, but most are too ignorant to realize how irresponsible they're being by giving Obama a passing grade simply because Bush had a solid F.

May 31, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedtoy

Who is "they"? We are talking about the FAA ya know..

May 31, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Check your facts. More illegals were deported last year than any year before. This year is on track to almost double that. So your point is?

May 31, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. Michael

Tony Retzko? Geez Michael, get over it.

If there really was something to that story, Obama would not be President right now would he?

Atleast Obama does not secretly evacuates Bin Laden's family from the US after 9/11.

May 31, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. carlos

I am a Nam Vet and I salute My Commander In Chief wherever he decides to Honor my fellow comrades.....other presidents have done it and,of course, nobody complained.....I wonder why.........

May 31, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • megagadha

we all know why!

May 31, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
    • DB

In the middle of all of this venom and inanity...Thank You for your service.

May 31, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. carlos

I meant All of America and Michael......mongrels

May 31, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. mkub

The real pain in the butt for those of us here in Chicago (other than the entire slimy Chicago politics machine that Obama proves to be part of) is that they completely closed down those airports. My father is a pilot out of DuPage. We were supposed to go visit family (a WWII vet, no less) but oh, we can't fly out because Obama's back in town. Thanks, Jack *ss, we don't get days and days to travel year-round. Thanks for ruining our and our vet's holiday weekend.

May 31, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
    • kraptv

Somebody call mkub a whaaaambulance.

Wiu Wiu Wiu...

May 31, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Independentwith brains

Mm, Hmm, and I'm sure you REALLY cared about that vet family member until of course the president you didn't vote for got into office.....how many times have you visited him on Memorial day in the last 5 years???????? None, I would bet.....

May 31, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • mkub

Well independentwith brains, my father's father died in WWII (he was in the air corp and is buried in Normandy) and the man we were going to see is my grandfather's brother. He served in the Navy in the Pacific. Unlike most people in this country, we take this holidays to heart. Any other questions?

May 31, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I bet as a Pilot you could have filed for TFR waiver or moved your aircraft outside the TFR before he arrived. I KNOW the airport was given notice and so did all the tenants!

May 31, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Well go ahead and fly anyway... it's a slow news night.

May 31, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • mkub

And, not to mention the fact that that vet is now 87 years old and in a nursing home. I also have 2 brothers-in-law and a sister-in-law who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I never mentioned whom I voted for. It Does matter and it's not an issue for the wambulance.

It's so easy to be big and bad on the other side of your monitor isn't it? Please reply, Lord knows I'm not with my family this weekend and have nothing I'd rather do more on the night before Memorial Day than argue with people about patriotism.

May 31, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • mkub

We were given notice on Thursday. They Don't give much notice as this would defeat the purpose. Airports are closed down the entire weekend. We're all going back to work Tuesday like every other normal American. Obama didn't exactly offer to foot the bill for us to stay in a hotel in another area or take an extra day or two off work to route around him. Shucks.

May 31, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedtoy

mkub:

Studying the posted TFRs is a no brainer for any pilot, and a TFR waiver isnt all that hard to get, and can easily be done withing the timeframe that normal flight planning is generally done Sorry you couldnt make it, but..it's not the TSA's fault that flight planning was not done for this flight.

May 31, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedtoy

"We were given notice on Thursday."

You could have asked for a waiver UP TO 24hrs before your flight with the TSA..which would have been a piece of cake on..Thursday.

Been there, done that. I flew home into KRHV under one last week from KWLW, was no big deal.

Flight planning generally starts a # of days before a flight, and we knew about O's visit via the posted TFRs, the Sunday before..like, 5 days before.

May 31, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • JR

Can't you drive?

May 31, 2010 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
    • DB

Okay, the point is...this is the policy no matter who is president. If Bush were in office, the airports near his home in Texas would be closed. And, doesn't President Obama's family deserve to see family too? They have children in school, they can't really travel whenever they want.

May 31, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  11. Obama should in D.C. or La., not Chicago

Obama shouldn't be in Chicago taking a vacation, he needs to be in either Washington D.C. to honor our fallen war heroes, or down in Louisiana directing the oil spill disaster. I voted for Obama and thought that he would do a good job, but I'm really doubting myself (however, I don't think "Fireball" McCain would have been much better). Our country needs LEADERSHIP right now, and you can't be a very good leader if you're grilling burgers at home when millions of gallons of crude oil are polluting the Gulf of Mexico. You need to be onsite, pressuring BP to move heaven and earth to get this sucker stopped. Or you should in D.C. so you can honor those who gave our lives so we can sit at our keyboards and moan and groan about how our country sucks.

May 31, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • carlos

you are a complete idiot.....and I am being kind.......read my post at 12:12........

May 31, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
    • kraptv

^^^

What carlos said...

May 31, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Independentwith brains

I guess this genius didn't see the presidents itinerary prior to the weekend......oh that's right, he was in NoLa!!! Wow, what a coinkydink.......brush up on current events before trying to join the discussion at the adult table....

May 31, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

First – you can honor those who gave their lives anywhere – you don't have to be in DC. And second – what would you have him do... lean over BP's shoulder and every few minutes say "Are we there yet"? It doesn't take a President to do that... any 8 year old will do. Hey... maybe you could do it!

May 31, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • D

Thank you to the original poster. It's good to know that some folks on this board graduated high school.

May 31, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • pat

You can't be that naive. What do you think Obama can do about the oil spill? Suit up as Superman and dive to the bottom of the ocean and put a big cork in the hole? There is nothing he can do down there in Louisiana. And he did not forget to honor our warriors, he was at a different cemetery. Why do you think every President has to concentrate just on Arlington? There are buried military all over the U.S. Quit being so crabby.

May 31, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Michele

So the only cemetery that is worthy of a visit is Arlington? Obama is at his own house, he's not off vacationing, it's a weekend. He is there for 2 days. Go back and compare the number of days that Bush spent on vacation. What is wrong with people? CNN should shut down these message boards. Airspace is shut down for any president, wherever they are in the country. This is not new.

May 31, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. Franklin

To mkub,

Should have elected Kerry then, he could have closed down Mass. (too bad we can't elect someone from nowhere so as not to inconvenience anyone . . . )

May 31, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
    • mkub

No, Obama could have stayed in DC where the memorial is held at Arlington. I do realize that other president's have travelled to their homes in the past (and I never mentioned who I voted for). However, a person is only president 4, maybe 8 years. He (or she) should fulfill the obligations as a symbol of our leadership.

May 31, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Franklin

Obama, like a good Republican, is in Big Oil's back pocket, hence his lack of concern for the spill, i.e. tick off BP, lack of donations for reelection.

May 31, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
    • How Does Hate Help

You hate inconvenience, air space regulations, the oil spill, immigrants from mexico, the president, each other... blah blah blah blah blah... What could you do if you volunteered your time and energy to solve problems in your own town, county or state? I've been watching these comments on many articles and there seems to be a trend of people just expressing what and who they hate, then they attack one another, but I don't see anyone talking about what great or even good things they did today to change anything for the better. You're mad about something? Get involved. Do something besides whine and hate.

May 31, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner!

May 31, 2010 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. carlos

the ignorance is really the result of too much listening to the cowards at that tv stattion owned by the ruppert guy

May 31, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
    • kraptv

Another FOXnation victory!!!1

/sarcasm

May 31, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Independentwith brains

Tried to click "like" just wasn't there! Good post Carlos!

May 31, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

If they were cowards they wouldn't criticize Obama. They would do what CNN and MSNBC do - give Obama a pass for nearly everything. If the BP spill had happened under Bush (yes, I know he was an idiot) the CNN and MSNBC would be screeaming bloody murder that it was Bush's fault and responsibility to do something about it. Katrina was a natural disaster and he got the blame for that, in spite of the fact that the Democratic mayor, Ray Nagin and the goverrnor of Louisiana were the ones who failed to evacuate the city.

May 31, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Dewey

The BP oil spill is Bush’s fault. Didn’t you hear Nancy Pelosi tell us that Saturday? I’m just surprised she beat Obama to blaming Bush.

May 31, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. Marvin

CNN, You want to tell us this non-news but don't bother to mention the Secret Service and press members confrontation with Louis Farrakhan and his Nation of Islam “Fruits”! Why?

May 31, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |