May 30th, 2010

Airspace violated over Obama's Chicago home

The North American Air Defense Command scrambled a pair of F-16 fighter jets Sunday afternoon over Chicago when a Cessna 150 aircraft violated a temporary restricted flight zone near the residence of President Obama.

The aircraft was intercepted and instructed to land at Lewis University Airport in Romeoville, Illinois, where it was met by local authorities, Maj. Mike Humphrey of NORAD said.  No other details were immediately available.

Romeoville is located about 25 miles southwest of downtown Chicago. The temporary restricted flight area is a standard procedure whenever the president is in an area.  The first family is in Chicago for the Memorial Day
weekend. The Obamas are scheduled to return to Washington on Monday evening.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • U.S.
  1. John Revelle

Obamatar is one and done. 2012 can't come fast enough for him and his idiot followers!

May 31, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. SPC Michael Brown, US Army

As an Air Traffic Controller in the Army, I think that it's fine to give temporary restriction of a/s to civilians whenever the Commander-In-Chief is in the area, but to ground him is a bit much. Should have just got the Air Traffic Controllers or have pilots use a frequency to tell the guy to back off due to a temporary a/s closure. Also, why is this national news? Oh, it's because America is completely full of "geniuses" and is crumbling a day at a time due it's own population's laziness and ignorance. Almost forgot that.

May 31, 2010 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedtoy

SPC-MB:
      Temp clearance can be given, if the pilot PLANS and ASKS for waiver. Its no big secret to pilots.

To ground someone who violates FAR91.141, is well deserved.

You also assume that this pilot had his radio on an appropriate monitoring frequency considering the nearby TFR (this would require both planning and where-the-hell-am-I smarts). But he wasnt.

I'd thought that someone who's worked in ATC, would recognize the serious issues at work when violating airspace rules.

Its not national news, its news in general.

May 31, 2010 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. DALMZ1Z

So why diden't shoot the plane down if it violated obamas air space ?

May 31, 2010 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedtoy

Thats about plan D..plan A is radio, B is a fly by...he lived, because he only got to B and didnt circle over the home dropping flour bombs.

May 31, 2010 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sasha

It is not a big deal, actually, but seeing he is in Chicago and not in the Gulf Region shows he is a regular person. What would being there do for the problem? Make people worry and cause more flight restrictions.

May 31, 2010 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. John Revelle

Barry has always been an elitist dirt bag, and that will never change.

May 31, 2010 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. jo an

I personally think we have the most awesome president this country has ever had. So what you will. He is brillant, and cares about each of us. He will be re elected if he runs.I will certainly vote for him...

May 31, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Dewey

Jo an seems like a strange moniker for Keith Olbermann

May 31, 2010 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. John

Party all the time PArty all the time.

The only experience I have with gushers in date night with my wife!!

May 31, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. dina

I want to know what happened to the Obama I voted for!!I want to see him lead in a stronger way and not look like he doesn't care no matter what his words are. I want to see him show a bit of emotion about this situation. Is being in Washington so overwhelming that he is going to act like the rest of them when he promised he would be different. I know he has a lot on his plate, but show some leadership that is not programed in a written speech.DO SOMETHING!

May 31, 2010 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedtoy

"I want to know what happened to the Obama I voted for!"
      He's still there, you're just ignorant enough to think that you can change the direction of a government or policy, overnight. I DO RECALL, being advised that it would take a hunk of time to do thiat..so..what happened to the understanding that was asked for in achieving those goals? Hmm?

BTW, Ignorant doesnt mean stupid, just unaware of what the facts are. I'd say, that a LOT has happened in the last 18 mo of a FOURTY-EIGHT month term...christ sake..you gave up pretty easily.

Just like the wing nuts on the right, have programmed you to.

May 31, 2010 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. TW

A FEW THINGS TO SAY ABOUT ALL THE COMMENTARY AND DISSENT.
    Everybody complaining should attempt a run at office for local government, state government or federal goverment. See if you can make changes from the inside.
    2nd. Immigration has been an issue for republican presidential administrations and democratic presidential administrations and even when there was a full control of the house and senate and nothing substantial has been done.
    so spread the blame around.
    3rd. Must we be critical of every step the president makes. First he should be in the gulf states, next he should be at Arlington... Last I heard, there is more then 1 person running this country. We have plenty of people along the chain of command from the President and his cabinet secretarys etc etc.

May 31, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. theinnocentone

lol no one else commenting after SmackedBottom comment

May 31, 2010 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedtoy

DIdnt anyone teach you that children are not always required a response when they're being silly?

May 31, 2010 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. ric

one flew over the cuckoo's nest!

May 31, 2010 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. jeffrey

All I have to say is I'LL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR THE POTUS CAUSE HE HAS HAD SO MANY CLOSE CALLS IN HIS FIRST YEAR IT RIDICULOUS....AND YES I'LL PULL THE RACE CARD ON THIS & HIS PRESIDENCY

May 31, 2010 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  13. DM

As to the issue at hand, I'm not a pilot but I have to agree with Speedtoy. It seems to me that flying is an activity where attention to detail is critical. I would imagine, though I could be wrong, that it's routine to check for TFR's every time you fly, not just when the president is around.
    As for Obama himself, I don't think he's a very good president but I don't blame him for what is happening in the Gulf anymore than people should have blamed Bush for what happened in New Orleans. One of Obama's problems is his inexperience. And that wouldn't be so bad if he had good people advising him. Someone is responsible for this fiasco involving Sestak, possible BO himself. This was a blatant violation of USC. Given this is just the type of thing ACORN is/was so good at, it's not hard to imagine BO has taken a page from their playbook.
    I'm sure BO has some good points but we, the American people, deserve better....better than him, better than McCain..better than the same old Potomac twostep!

May 31, 2010 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tom Walls

Illinois is abbreviated Ill., not "IL". The latter is for postal addresses only.

May 31, 2010 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. hey i know

they where just spreading chemtrails. no reason to get your panties in a wad.

May 31, 2010 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred

Might have been an BP approved dispersant. After all this time, that oil has finally reached Lake Michigan.

May 31, 2010 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |