May 31st, 2010

Home and Away: Remember our soldiers who died

CNN has tracked the casualties since the wars began in Afghanistan and Iraq; a new feature to the site tracks service members' hometowns against a map of where they died in Afghanistan. The feature also highlights memories of the fallen by friends and families.

Today, on Memorial Day, we remember the soldiers from all parts of the world and from every U.S. state who have given their lives fighting for their country, More than 1,700 U.S. and coalition troops have died in Afghanistan, according to a CNN count.

Take a look at our new special Home and Away to view, remember and post tributes to all of the soldiers, like Pfc. David John Bentz III, whose mother Kimberly Geonnotti is remember him on this Memorial Day.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Iraq • Military
  1. Marc Gilman

I want all of the families of our fallen soldiers to know that their sacrifices that help protect all of us back home will never be forgotten.

May 31, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. damiao

How many soldiers passed away during the war? how many innocent people are killed? This is the reflexion, nobody can stop the terrorism act. http://www.englishtips-self-taught.blogspot.com

May 31, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kathryn Hoover

words are inadequate to express my heartfelt sentiments to the families of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service of our Nation and of those who remain MIA
    I know that my freedom is being protected only by those willing to give their lives in service

To the loved ones who remain know that you also are not forgotten

July 12, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bev

Who sings the song "Soldier On" at the end of the segment on Home and Away?

August 5, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bobby

I would also like to know Who sings the song "Soldier On" at the end of the segment on Home and Away? I am a former Marine and it brings tears to my eyes when I hear this song played on CNN

August 9, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. Vincent

Would someone post the name of who sing the song, please?

Thanks

August 13, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mike

I believe the song is by Oasis

August 24, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. helen

The song is "Soldier On: A tribute to our troops" Greg Barnhill

August 27, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andres

these soldiers as well as all soldiers in every branch including retired, are absolutely without a doubt true heros, no question. I tried to enlist in the first Gulf War but could not due to back problems. I'm sorry. You are all my superheros, I love you all. Thank you so much for your service. I live in a Military city and I say thank you EVERY TIME i see a uniform. Sometimes i buy them a soda, a beer, a cigar, a rose when i can of course but, i always say thanks. If EVERYONE in this country would say thanks , imagine. You people are my heros, forever and ever. God bless you

September 6, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. Art

check out this song by an amazing talent- Kimberly Beaman "Miss Me" on YouTube.com
    -talks about letting go of the ones we love

October 9, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. joni

greg barnill sings soldier on

October 15, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jay

Thanks,for that post I am a former marine and recently retired soldier. I woke up out of my sleep in tears listening to that song on CNN's tribute.

November 16, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. henry allen

Now the real question, do anyony know where,how i can get a copy of this song, its not at amazon or online,I have ran out of resources. Someone should ask him to recoard a single. Tore me up

December 8, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. Henry

I found it, whenever you want something just Google it, Its on Youtube.com under Greg Barnhill Soldier On: A Tribute To Our Troops

December 8, 2010 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dirce Ortiz

My 19 year-old is proudly serving in the US Marine Corps and awaiting orders any moment to be deployed wherever his country needs him. Two years ago my heart ached when he told me his decision to serve in the military, but now I see him turning into this honest, clean, hard-working, goal-oriented young man with high ideals and hopes and my heart swells with pride. Private first class Alec Ortiz is also just finishing his first class in college at Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station in Havelock, North Carolina. Honey I love you and admire you so much...

Mom