June 3rd, 2010

Interpol: Joran van der Sloot arrested in Santiago

Joran van der Sloot is being investigated in connection with the death of Stephany Flores Ramirez, right, and was a suspect in the disappearance of Natalee Holloway.

[Updated at 1:13 p.m.] Joran van der Sloot has been arrested and is in police custody in Santiago, Chile, an Interpol spokesperson in Santiago told CNN.

Van der Sloot, who was previously considered a suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway in Aruba, is the main suspect in this week's slaying of 21-year-old Stephany Flores Ramirez, officials said. She was was found Wednesday in a Lima, Peru, hotel room registered to van der Sloot. Chilean police told CNN that paperwork showed that van der Sloot entered Chile on Wednesday.

Peruvian Interior Minister Octavio Salazar Miranda said Thursday that Peru has made arrangements with Interpol to extradite van der Sloot.

Read full CNN.com story

[Updated at 12:33 p.m.] Chilean investigators have told CNN Chile that Joran van der Sloot was spotted in Arica, Chile, near the Peruvian border and they believe he may still be there.

[Posted at 11:59 a.m.] Peruvian authorities investigating a young woman's slaying this week are working with officials from Interpol, Chile, Argentina and Colombia in the search for Joran van der Sloot, a Dutch man previously considered a suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway, the Peruvian justice minister said Thursday.

There is "incriminating evidence" linking van der Sloot to the killing of 21-year-old Stephany Flores Ramirez, who was found with multiple stab wounds in a Lima hotel room Wednesday, Cesar Guardia Vasquez, of Chile Interpol's criminal investigations unit, said at a news conference.

The hotel room where Flores was found was registered in van der Sloot's name, he said.

A hotel guest and an employee witnessed the pair entering the hotel room together at 5 a.m. on Sunday, Guardia said.

Police have video of the previous night, May 29, of van der Sloot and Flores together at the Atlantic City Casino in Lima, he said.

According to immigration officials, van der Sloot fled to Chile over land on Monday, Guardia said.

"We have all the evidence to show that the killer is this man," the victim's father, businessman and race-car driver Ricardo Flores told CNN en Español.

Post by:
Filed under: Argentina • Chile • Colombia • Joran van der Sloot • Justice • Peru • World
  1. Sarah

Why do I have a feeling he's killed himself? Didn't have Daddy to help him out this time, so he's going to take the cowards' way out (again)...

June 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Social Butterfly

I had the same feeling. Only time will tell.

June 3, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

This guy has too big of an ego to off himself. And he is too full of himself – he thinks he will get away back to Aruba or Amsterdam.

June 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB

Hey, I wish all guilty murderers and rapists would do that so that taxpayers would not have to fund their defense. Death penalty defenses/appeals are way too expensive.

June 3, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • shenoa.om

The truth is a winner

June 3, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susi

Hey "I love Joran" – The whole point of the post was that, because daddy is dead, Joran is on his own this time. 'Not too bright, are you? But that's about what I would expect from your signature.

Personally, I hope they catch him and stick him in Peruvian prison for life. But if he does go the coward's way (suicide), at least the world will be that much safer for women.

June 3, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • JN

It's interesting that you say that abotu Joran committing suicide, because a few years ago that psychic Allison Dubois said that she believed he would ultimately committ suicide. I hope that's not true though, because he deserves to spend his life rotting in prison, not getting an easy way out...

June 3, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • cmkaufman

Or... maybe this girl's daddy (or his "associates") have found him first. That's what I hope.
      Do to Joran what he did to those, and I'm sure many other girls, and leave his body in a garbage bag in a ditch, or folded up in a suitcase, or any of the other myriad ways a woman's body is disposed of in this world.
      Karma, baby!

June 3, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janet

Hopefully he is too much of a sociopath to take his own life. Not sure of the penalties in the country the crime was committed in but hopefully justiced will be served in both cases now.

June 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tracy Hoffman

He would never kill himself.. he is a predator and a narcissist. He is incapable of remorse. He will probably manipulate and kill more unsuspecting females until he is caught...

June 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • I hope van der Sloot is Not Dead

Agree with Sarah, but I hope that is not the case.

I hope he is alive so that he can be tried in a court of law and then sentenced to rot in jail. I hope he is forced to look into the eyes of the families whose lives he has torn apart because being privileged wasn't enough for him. Monster.

June 3, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • sajeev

I am sure this demon has killed other innocent girls. Can you beleive that he did it exatcly after 5 years – on Natalie's anniversary? So maybe he killed other women on the same date. Personally, it wil be a shame if he suicides. He needs to be caught and tortured and jailed for life – just like what he did to those poor girls. I preach non-violece, but for arrogant people like him, justice will be served only if they are treated inhumanely – just like how they treated the girls. I hope he is caught and whipped in full view of the public, including his mom.

June 3, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alisa

No such luck.

June 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rock

I immediately had the same feeling Sarah.
      I know Natalee's Mom.. I know she is wanting justice.
      This guy has been dodging the bullet for five years now..his time is up.

June 3, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandy

I agree that he might have killed himself.....but I also think he feels he has gotten away with this once why not again? I stayed glued to the TV during the hunt for Natalee Holloway and was sick at the way it was handled. Seems like each time her family takes a breath and thinks this is behind them he does something else...like a interview to pour salt in their wounds. I feel so sorry for both families. Those in Aruba who covered this up I hope are feeling guilty because another young beauty as been killed by this jerk. But I don't think there is any way he can get out of this one...one news program was talking about the prision he would be placed in and it was described as horrible...gangs/drugs/guns....what will little rich boy do there? Natalee's daddy was right he would do it again.

June 3, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

Again? He's going to kill himself again?

June 3, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Theresa Arena

This guy is an arrogant Narcissist who thinks he can kill and get away with it everytime. He is so hung up on his ability to skirt the law that he has no intention of being caught. But he will be caught and he will try to wrangle his way out of it with his smooth talking lies that only he believes. His fate will take the same road as OJ Simpleton oh, I mean Simson and Scott Peterson.

June 3, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judy

We can only hope.

June 3, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • middlesis

As soon as I heard the news, I thought, "He'll kill himself." Just have to wait and see. My thoughts are with both girls families.

June 3, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • JayKay

The world would be better off without Joran, or as I like to call him, Urine.

June 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blackrock

There has been rumors posted that he did off himself. Looks to be only rumors though. This kid needs to stay alive long enough to have his anus stretched a few sizes by Bubba and Jethro down in that Peruvian prison.

June 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • CSUNikki

I agree that this serial killer needs to die and I hope he does us the favor to do it himself. I am all for the dealth penalty and I don't think this loser deserves to have any jail time. Three nice 0.25 cent bullets...one to the head and two in the chest..center mass.. to finish the job. Then buried in a paupers grave with no headstone.

June 3, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathy Reading

I hope he doesn't take his own life.......don't think he will as he believes he's invicible. I want him to stand trial and spend his life in prison. I also want both victims' families to be able to tell them what they think of him.

June 3, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kitty

I bet his parents are very proud of their avid defense of their son........... so he could kill someone else. He didn't kill himself, he's waiting for rich mmmy and daddy to save him again. And they will. I wonder....

June 3, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • donna

Way to go Aruba. If they would have locked his a__ up the first time, this girl would still be alive.

June 3, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cris

Nope, he's been already found in Santiago....I hope justice is served...

June 3, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Thomissen

NEWS UPDATE !!

Joran is just arrested in Chili.

Source Dutch News

June 3, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ramin

JORAN VD SLOOT ARRESTED IN CHILI!

June 3, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Californian

If he did kill himself that's the best form of "Death Penalty" I've ever heard of, although I doubt he's brave enough to do it.

June 3, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Celi

No, I doubt he killed himself – in his own eyes and mind he is perfect and would not harm a perfect creature. I suspect he is hiding out somewhere and making tons of phone calls to his mom and any others he thinks can get him out of South America. Didn't he drive his truck to the border of Chili and then abandon it? Most likely he was met there by someone. Run, Joran, Run – make it even harder on yourself and always remember – "what goes round, comes round". I would love to see this wimp shaking with fear and confusion.

June 3, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • CBuckinNC

Nah, I don't think he has, or will, commit suicide. However, I wouldn't be very surprised to learn that he will be dead by the end of next week. Accidents do happen you know. Lets just hope his accident is slow and painful.

June 3, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peggy

He's too in love with himself to kill himself, plus he thinks he got away with it once but I think this time it will get him and maybe Natalee's family will get some sort of peace out of i t !!

June 3, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul H

After reading several post I personally hope he remains alive to stand trial and receive a prison sentence. I would revel in the thought of justice being served in some unimaginable ways whilst in prison for his actions.

June 3, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • André

They've got him !!!

June 3, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • sgm

guys like that don't off themselves...i think he figures that like aruba, he'll get away with it, and no doubt daddy is already on his way south to give him a hand in getting away with one more murder. girls...in the future, if van der sloot asks you for a date, please decline.

June 3, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eileen Masse

Finally justice will be served. I hope he does not kill himself because I am sure in population in prison he will get his just deserts.

June 3, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dana

Oh too bad he didn't off himself...but maybe he'll confess to the Natalie Holloway murder if they torture him enough!

June 3, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marlaine

Daddy didn't help him, cause he died. (heart attack while playing tennis in February
      http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/article1347897.ece/Vader_Joran_van_der_Sloot_overleden (it's Dutch)

June 3, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • CyberSpy

Unless he's killed himself in police custody, or the police apprehended a corpse. I think he's alive.

June 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clint

When he gets to the big house, he'll get a new DADDY.

June 3, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob, the Netherlands

Mr. Psycho is caught! I really hope they have enough evidence against him this time. This monster should at least be behind bars for the rest of his life.

June 3, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • dugan

I've seen videos of the peruvian prisons, He's a dead man already.

June 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

Guess you were all wrong. Hopefully Natalee's parents will receive some solace if he is convicted for this!

June 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • MetaTheoretic

I agree with CyberSpy, since the sicko Sloot has been taken in to custody it will not be too easy for him to take his life.

June 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cyndi

Maybe now Natalie Holloway's family can finally get justice. It is a shame that it took another terrible death for him to be finally arrested.

June 3, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alexander

Death is humanity's greatest fear. Facing it is never an act of cowardice, even if you don't agree with suicide.

June 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heath

My grandad killed himself and he was no coward. He was captured by the Russians during the invasions of Poland and what he went through and saw sent him on a downward spiral before he killed himself. Think before you type you sad donkey.

June 3, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sahara

He's gonna make a great little "Jailhouse Jane". I hope they make his life miserable. He'll probably take the coward's way out though, now that he doesn't have daddy to hide behind.

June 3, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sety

To all of you guys who are still blaming Aruba an Arubians for not putting Joran behind bars. 1st of all you should know that the Chief of police at that time was Jan v/d Straten born and raised in HOLLAND, who was sent to work on the Island of Aruba as Chief of Police. Jan and Joran's belated Father are friends. Joran is Jan's GODCHILD. He is the one, that WE ARUBIANS, blame for all this. This case was COVERED BY DUTCH CHIEF OF POLICE who was incharge of this investigation. Yes we "belong to Holland" and we have to apply THEIR stupid law, but I can assure you that we paid a high price for this mess. If an ARUBIAN DETECTIVE was in charge of this, I can bet you guys, JORAN is behind bars long time ago. So it's not fair for you guys to boycott Aruba and Arubians, we always treated Tourist nice. Even we as locals don't like Dutch laws, because they are not as heavy as americans law. We are dutch citizens but not by choice. And we Arubians know that Joran killed Nathalee, and we are just so happy He got Caught ( To bad he killed an inocent again) but all want justice to be done and good for him, cause HE will have a wonderfull TIME in PRISON in Peru, and we hope He don't commit suicide, so He can pay day by day what He did to Nathalee, To Stephany and to ALL THE COMMUNITY OF ARUBA.!!!! We Arubians and our country Aruba can not pay for what these DUTCHES did. You should know that after all this mess JAN v/d STRATEN quit his Job!!!! We just need you guys to understand that all this was done by DUTCHES not ARUBIANS. a lot of immigrants come on the island and do HARM our beautifull Island and don't get the right punishment, because of OUR STUPI DUTCH LAWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • forumomdotcom

hmmh.. nice post..
      i like it..

exchange links pls 😀
      ==========================================================
      visit my Blog http://forumomdotcom.wordpress.com 😀

June 3, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dubbs2o2o

Have you seen the video of him being arrested? It is very frustrating to me. This man is accoused of murder and they dont even have handcuffs on him. And your telling me thats justice? Walking in with no cuffs or shackles. I have seen people arrested for jaywalking get treated worse then this suspected murder.

June 3, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • sillysue

If he did it, they should fry him.Looks like a fledgling serial killer in the making. We may find out a lot more about his past now and maybe more killing and raping.

June 6, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • starr

Joran is all in to himself, it has always been about joran, he does not care who he hurts( in this case kills) he wants what he wants. 1 thing is different now. his dad is not here to lie for him also. I think his dad knew where Natelee is also. only now daddy took it to the grave. I hope they give him Death, one women killer out of society.

June 7, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • daniela

finaly time become for beth to got closure to his daugther
      he is not only full of himself..Now peru is not Aruba
      or Amsterdan were he buy the law..it's time for him to be
      look up for ever..he is sick and his parents are too.

Congratulation to Chile, Argentina and Peru..
      another one it's out of the street.

June 8, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • daniela

serial killer like him needs to die, worse or in the same way he kill those two inocent girls.
      will be so ridiculous to spend money keeping him in jail.. he had to die...he only is good
      for his sick parents.. they know who he is and what he can do.. it's not an secret..
      I am so happy..that he is in jail.. it is time for him to suffer in the same way that Natalie das.

June 8, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gregg

Just how many girls has this kid killed/murdered in the last five years? How bodies are there laying about the globe that no one knows about? No doubt,.he'll do what all cowards do and kill himself if capture is near.

June 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Weezie

Gregg, I too believe that he has left bodies somewhere. I believe that he is a serial killer, and I think he's too vain to off himself.

June 3, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

Gregg – said it exactly right. He is a coward, and there is no way that Natalee Hollway is the only young woman this devil has murdered. Just look at the smurk on his face, he fears nothing, but if he is caught, and he will be if he didn't take his own life, he will have a lot to fear. This has to be such a horrible time for Natalee's family, not to mention this poor young woman who was just killed. Why don't this evil people, just think about how horriific it is to take a life, and just think for one moment the pain the families and the vicitims go through, just try to imagine it before they do it. There is nothing more evil on earth, than those how hurt children or murder. They will all get what is coming to them...trust me, there is a God, and they cannot run from him.

June 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • rivirivi

That is exactly my concern, this sociopath has probably done it before Natalee and obviously after. Hope he gets "the wall" in Peru, if you have committed such a monster's crime you get shot at and dead.

June 3, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thunder Kitty

He is pretty much Andrew Luster on steriods. He has lived a life of priviledge not having to work for anything. They both drugged their women so they could have their way with them. The only difference between the two is Joran probably gave a bunch of women too much GHB and most likely has bodies stacked up all over the globe. You basically tell a person the sky is the limit and they don't have to work for it and you create a monster. When the monster kills and gets away with it, you create a beast.

June 3, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • confused

There is no dead penalty in Peru. I beleive the most he can get is 25 years. Now, what can happen and happens often, is he could pay the judges to be sent to a nicer prison than the one that is used for crimes like this. May not sound like much, but he would be paying to be sent to bad instead to worse, which is something this SOB does not deserve, he has to be send to worse.

June 3, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lu

There is no death penalty in Peru. But for sure he will get arrested and get the punishment he deserved.

June 3, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • CBuckinNC

Weren't both girls American citizens? If I were Interpol I would be sure to investigate any disappearances over the last five years of young American women that were visiting Latin America, South America, or the Carribean. I think that Joran discovered that if he did his deeds in a country other than his own or here in the States, that he could get away with it much easier. If that is the case, Joran you were very wrong. Rot in hell you POS!!!!!!

June 3, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. oscar

killer strikes again... lock his ass up

June 3, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kim

the psycho coward will just kill himself, if he hasn't already!

June 3, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alisa

He's a narcissist; no such luck he'd take care of it himself.

June 3, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Klarg

Will his father step up and take his share of the blame?

June 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deborah

His father died a few months ago.

June 3, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

His dad is dead, that's why all the evidence is still there...last time Daddy helped him get rid of all the evidence.

June 3, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • shanna

His father passed away a few months ago. It's too late for that. Joran is on his own this time, and these countries don't play! They will find him, and they will lock him up!

June 3, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Musey

Since his father is DEAD, probably not...

June 3, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nick

I hope he does kill himself. Tax dollars aren't wasted on corpses. He doesn't deserve life in prison, and we shouldn't have to pay for his room and board.

June 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

We? Are you from Peru or Aruba?

June 3, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • windrider

Well, Nick, we Americans won't have to pay the tab. He's a Dutch citizen and the crime was committed in Peru. When they catch him, he'll go on trial in Peru and then off to a nice roach-infested Peruvian prison where I'm sure he'll be welcomed for just as long as it takes for someone to slit his throat. I hope he bleeds out slowly so he has plenty of time to think about the girls he's killed.

June 3, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • maggie

Nick, unless you live in Peru, YOU won't be paying for his room and board.

June 3, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mmartin51

What? No Judge Daddy to cover for him this time?

June 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deborah

His father died a few months ago. He won't be helping him.

June 3, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

I agree "Sarah" he will probably take the coward way out.

June 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Courtney

Lets see if they let him go this go around. Everyone knows he was guilty of the Natalie Holloway thing and his daddy bailed him out.

June 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dex

I would not be surprised if he got away with this one, as well. Teflon Joran.

June 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

I totally agree with Courtney, lets hope he gets what he should have gotten with Natalie.

June 3, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bubinski

Trapped like the rat he is.

June 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Gregg

I really can't believe that the Arubian government allowed this kid to walk free and my heart goes out to the halloway family. They KNEW all along this kid was a killer and I'll tell you now that if the dad of the murdered girl in Peru gets a hold of this kid there won't be a trial, just a death sentence. If this happens no one will ever know the whereabouts of Halloway.

June 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deborah

There was no evidence whatsoever to lock him up. He never kept a straight story, there was no body, they simply could not keep him in jail.

June 3, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Why do you blame Aruba? it was the Netherlands, remember that Aruba is a territory from them and since his Dad was a Judge, he pulled some strings on the Netherlands goverment to get him out of trouble. They were trying to do everything they could, but were told to comply or face the consequences.

June 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • rose

Deb, they did/do know he was the killer. He even admitted it on video a few years post trial. Poor girl is long gone now, I believe he said on the video that they used a boat or something and dumped her body in the ocean.

June 3, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deborah

Rose, I had a whole thing typed out and it didn't show up for some reason. Anyways, I am still not convinced that that confessions was truth. It was a combination of the truth and lies. Two things I'm certain of, she probably had a bad reaction to the (over)use of alcohol (and maybe use of drugs) and got a seizure or stroke or something. Instead of calling an ambulance, Joran decided to ditch her body into the ocean.

June 3, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Why do so many people blame the Aruban officials for this and the Natalee Holloway case? They kept the kid in custody and tried to break him down for months with no charges pending (something you can't do in many places) but he didn't crack. At some point, with no evidence, they HAD to let him go.

June 3, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Alcohol withdrawal is more likely to cause a seizure than acute alcohol intoxication. Although it is a CNS depressant and lowers the seizure threshold, it would be fairly uncommon in someone without an underlying seizure disorder. Unless she was doing cocaine, I doubt the problem would have been a stroke either as alcohol isn't a big contributor in that arena either. My guess...Joran is indeed making up stuff, as you point out, in an effort to cover up a more direct involvement in the girl's death. And, alas, through a lack of evidence and likely some degree of investigative bungling. Toss in the association with the Van Der Sloot family/father...perhaps not enough to lead to a direct cover up or suppression of evidence, but perhaps enough to make investigative efforts not entirely 100% either. At the end of the day, I agree with you...Van Der Sloot is indeed lying and I would suggest that part of his impetus is to hide a more direct involvement in her death than just failure to administer CPR.

June 3, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • wjhernandez

There is no death penalty in Peru, just incarceration.

June 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

Americans should stop going to Aruba - and Holland for that matter, if that's their idea of justice. Because his father was a judge, they backed off. His father being a judge, he must have suspected that he was guilty and should have encouraged him to turn himself in.

June 3, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bill

This "YOUR-RON" is a POS. where is the "Law Abiding Citizen" justice when we need it?

June 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sandra

Sarah I actually heard that over on Facebook this morning. Some obscure news agency is saying that early reports are saying he committed suicide. If so, that makes me feel terribly for the Holloway family who will never know the true ending of their daughter's life.

This kid was bad news from day one and shame on Aruba. They could have prevented another young innocent's demise.

June 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelsy

Even if Joran is arrested, tried and convicted for this crime, Natalie Holloway's family may never learn the truth about her death. If he is a psychopath, he would enjoy the power trip of toying with the family and not revealing what he may know. Not unless he can use it as leverage to get a better deal for himself in this case. That's how psychopathic personalities work – it's all about self interest.

June 3, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dutchie Antoin

They tried like hell. They tried to break this kid. But there was no body no witnessses no story no nothing.. they eventually had to let him go because of simple lack of evidence. Thats just how it works.

June 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Steve

We can only hope thats the case...

June 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mastablasta

Shouldn't be too hard to find him with that Big A$$ barrel head!

June 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |