June 3rd, 2010

Interpol: Joran van der Sloot arrested in Santiago

Joran van der Sloot is being investigated in connection with the death of Stephany Flores Ramirez, right, and was a suspect in the disappearance of Natalee Holloway.

[Updated at 1:13 p.m.] Joran van der Sloot has been arrested and is in police custody in Santiago, Chile, an Interpol spokesperson in Santiago told CNN.

Van der Sloot, who was previously considered a suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway in Aruba, is the main suspect in this week's slaying of 21-year-old Stephany Flores Ramirez, officials said. She was was found Wednesday in a Lima, Peru, hotel room registered to van der Sloot. Chilean police told CNN that paperwork showed that van der Sloot entered Chile on Wednesday.

Peruvian Interior Minister Octavio Salazar Miranda said Thursday that Peru has made arrangements with Interpol to extradite van der Sloot.

Read full CNN.com story

[Updated at 12:33 p.m.] Chilean investigators have told CNN Chile that Joran van der Sloot was spotted in Arica, Chile, near the Peruvian border and they believe he may still be there.

[Posted at 11:59 a.m.] Peruvian authorities investigating a young woman's slaying this week are working with officials from Interpol, Chile, Argentina and Colombia in the search for Joran van der Sloot, a Dutch man previously considered a suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway, the Peruvian justice minister said Thursday.

There is "incriminating evidence" linking van der Sloot to the killing of 21-year-old Stephany Flores Ramirez, who was found with multiple stab wounds in a Lima hotel room Wednesday, Cesar Guardia Vasquez, of Chile Interpol's criminal investigations unit, said at a news conference.

The hotel room where Flores was found was registered in van der Sloot's name, he said.

A hotel guest and an employee witnessed the pair entering the hotel room together at 5 a.m. on Sunday, Guardia said.

Police have video of the previous night, May 29, of van der Sloot and Flores together at the Atlantic City Casino in Lima, he said.

According to immigration officials, van der Sloot fled to Chile over land on Monday, Guardia said.

"We have all the evidence to show that the killer is this man," the victim's father, businessman and race-car driver Ricardo Flores told CNN en Español.

Post by:
Filed under: Argentina • Chile • Colombia • Joran van der Sloot • Justice • Peru • World
  1. bambam

slime like him deserve to meet Bubba in a Peuvian prison to be his girlfriend. My only advise to him would be to not drop the soap if he ever gets a chance to take a shower in their prison system....Funny too, how Mom is not commenting on what a wonderful son he is and how he is innocent like his twisted father did....Urine...what now,,,Daddy is not there to bail you out you psychopathic piece of S***....Enjoy Peruvian justice and ask your lawyer form a monthly supply of KY Jelly

June 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. landi

now unless you were on a different planet for tha lst 5 years, why would a girl go out with Van der Looser....i just don't understand...can anyone here shed light on the frame of mind of a girl going out on a date with a self-confessed killer?

June 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Workin'

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I had heard on the news this morning that neither the girl, nor her family and friends were aware of "who" he was exactly until she turned up missing. The father of the victim then said a quick google search after the fact told him all he needed to know, and sadly, it was too late.

June 3, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tammy

YES!!!! Caught the rat!! HEY JORAN DON'T DROP THE SOAP!!! OH WAIT YOU WON'T HAVE ANY SOAP!!!
    What do ya wanna bet..... That Aruba will wait to see if he can use Natalies location as a bartering tool and if he can't I'll bet they miraculously find her body and try to prosecute him there 1st just to keep him close to mommy and better conditions. I'll lay money they try it!!!

June 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bubba is Happy

Looks like his daddy won't be able to pay the cops off this time to get his sweet "innocent" son off the hook this time.

Bubba will have a new play toy in prison now!

June 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jessica

Alabama prosecutors, is your time to go to Peru and get this serial killer..!!

June 3, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Laurie

Karma baby!!

June 3, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Richard

Time for you to Pay boy!

June 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Debbie

Hopefully he will be locked up in a jail where torture is used to get the truth out of him. Families need closure.

June 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. G. the Father

"Another failure by the justice system cost another woman her life."

In some countries, like mine, people can only be punished if there is a thing called 'proof'. But off course you know every detail about the Holloway case while sitting in your Las Vegas' chair. So tell me, what was the 'faillure' exactly?

June 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Valentine

see he didnt kill himself and we will see justice for these beautiful ladies!

June 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Peter van der Does

I'm sure his story will be something like this:
    Day1: Two security guards of working at the Casino walked with her
    Day2: I left the casino with her and went to an alley, we sort of made out and I left her there.
    Day3: We went to the alley, she didn't wanna make out with me, so I left her there by herself
    Day4: We went to my room, I went to get something from the vending machine and when I got back I saw a guy coming out of the room with a knife. I fled the hotel
    Day5: We went to my room, I made sandwich, that's why my finger prints are on the knife, left to the vending machine and saw a guy leave the room. I fled.
    Day6: We went to the beach, oh wait that was Natalee, nevermind

June 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John B

I dont think anyone should rush to judgment, this could very well be a complete coincidence. Anyone out here ready to crucify Joran should take a close look at themselves.

June 3, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba is Happy

Bugger off John...He's GUILTY AS ****! If you can't see it you are blind. the only reason he got away with #1 is because of his rich daddy. Now that his dad isn't there to help him out of this one he is gonna be Bubba's new doll!

June 3, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mariann Pepitone

Don't rush to judgment That's what his lawyer said. Since his father was a judge the courts released him because of no evidence. He was with Holloway the night she was killed but what he did with the body only his two friends know and I believe they will come out of the woodwork after he is sentenced to prison or during the trial when his same attorney will try and find him innocent. He doesn't have his father now therefore he will be on trial and maybe receive a life sentence.

June 3, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • fred astaire

I just did a quick inventory. I'm okay, you're okay, Sloot is not

June 3, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kelley

I blame his parents for both girls death. It is an outrage that they enabled him and covered up Natalie's murder. I too, am gald his father is dead, now he won't be able to buy the politians to save "Sonny boy". This man is a seriel killer and they covered it up. As far as I am concerned, his mother and father should be rotting in jail with him, as well as the officials from Aruba who took the money and bribes to cover up Natalies death. May God Be with your Souls!! You let this animal lose to kill again!!!!

June 3, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ann Vance

Thank you to the Santiago, Chile police, they caught him.
    He needs to be in custody before he kills again......
    If guilty and it sounds like he is, he will get what he deserves.

June 3, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Todd T.

I hope that he goes to a Peruvian prison. I don't think they treat murderers the same as in Aruba where he was a star. I hope that put him in a cell with the worst type of people and let them bring justice. They will give him a new a–hole. Then let them slit his throat but let him live long enough to suffer and wipe that smile off his face for good. Sorry but just the sight of his smiling face gets under my skin.

June 3, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |