June 4th, 2010

Ohio teen wins National Spelling Bee with 'stromuhr'

Ohio teen Anamika Veeramani won the Scripps National Spelling Bee Friday night with the word stromuhr, an instrument for measuring the flow of viscous substances.

"I'm really, really happy. This is one of the best moments of my life," the 14-year-old said after the annual spell-off.

Anamika, of North Royalton, tied for fifth place last year. Her victory makes Ohio the state to produce the most spelling bee winners with 9.

The 83rd Scripps National Spelling Bee began Thursday with 273 spellers ranging in age from 8 to 15.

Friday's final rounds began with 10 contestants, who were eliminated one by one by words such as ochidore, a shore crab, and terribilita, a term applied typically to the art of Michelangelo describing the power and grandeur of his work.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. bobbaft

Thank you and come again soon!

June 5, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MIT

She is the daughter of a brilliant American Engineer, working for an American company and an American herself. I work with her Father. To all you racists I say; Put yourselves in her shoes. She's 14. Get a life and quit hiding behind print.

June 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • chand

well said mit!!

June 5, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Manek

We Indians are taking over . . . the Spelling Bee! What's that, 7 out of the last 10 years? Bilkul incredible heh! Eat you heart out, gorees.

June 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Art H

Congrats to this young girl for what she achieved !

June 5, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Arihant-Indian

All indans who are proud that an Indian won this, not American then should need to head there itself and make yourself more proud.

Anybody who puts efforts and apply their brains can achieve anything.

We all are citizens of earth and it's our job to take care of this earth. There are so many problems that we need to take care. If we respect each other and spread love among each other we can do better job which is eradicating all the evils from the earth. Can we just flow positive energy ?

Do we do anything so that every human being on earth has food, shelter and basic necessity taken care of ?
    Did we do something to save earth from pollutants ?
    Are we carefully and miserly using earth's resources so our future generations can say some good words about us ?
    Did we do something to find cure for so so many diseases ?

There are so many things we can really be proud of. We can pick one. Believe me, not only we ourselves but others will be proud of us too. Would n't that be better ? So I humbly request to find the right cause that makes you proud.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feeling. That indeed was not the intent.

June 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rod

I applaud hard work. But I hate spelling bees. Not that proper spelling isn't a wonderful thing. I just wish they would hold a national VOCABULARY bee instead...something that might really be useful. Spending years memorizing the spelling of esoteric words that one will never encounter in the real world is rather a waste. If you understand the MEANING of most of the words in the dictionary, you can read almost ANYTHING. If you know the spelling of nearly every word, you can read NOTHING.

June 6, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Rod

I admire the work ethic that brings such success. However, I have to admit that I hate spelling bees. Sure, exact spelling is a wonderful thing. I simply would prefer a national VOCABULARY bee instead...something particularly useful. Spending one's childhood memorizing the spelling of esoteric words that one will never encounter in the real world is rather a waste. If you understand the MEANING of most of the words in the dictionary, you can read almost ANYTHING. If you know the spelling of nearly every word, you can read NOTHING.

June 6, 2010 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bhavik

"When we were young kids growing up in America, we were told to eat our vegetable at dinner and not leave them. Mothers said, think of the starving children in India and finish the dinner. And now I tell my children: "finish youre homework. Think of the children in India who would make you starve, if you don't"" By Thomas Friedman from the New York Times.
    This is where the world heading. Congratulations to Anamika for being the brightest Indian star shining over North America. 🙂

June 6, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. Raj

There's an old saying amongst most Indians.. If God would appear before you and say "Go ahead.. ask for any two things, and it shall be yours", then you should ask for the only two things in life which you can never have enough of.. Knowledge and Wisdom.

June 6, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. KnowThySelf

Congratulations to the hard working speller!. Hope she achieves all her dreams!

I was struck by the calm poise she had all through out and equanimity displayed even after winning.

I also applaud all the kids who made it to the last few rounds as getting anywhere close to that requires exceptional focus and hard work, by themselves and supporting family/coaches

It would have been good if she were asked about her learning strategies and pitfalls. Always helps to listen to views / answers to these questions from budding future experts in their fields (she certainly seems like will be one)

Some negative points to ABC for trying to cash in on long ads and unnecessary "expert" comments interjected when actual participants or judges said something that was often more important.

Great experience to all involved. I wish this was done on PBS without the unnecessary interruptions and chaos

Last word on the comments here, a large number could be moderated and removed to save others the agony

June 6, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. americanbyheart

Congrats Anaminka...great job done...any academic competion is a huge challenge and coming first shows a huge grit...you will do excellent in life no doubt...you will become a Nobel Laureate??? that can not be answered but yea you have a better chance than a normal person and what matters is effort and luck and support....how cool you are in work will matter too.

People figting over race is ridiculous....as I have noted elsewhere all races have approximately same composition of intelligence levels ...there is very minor difference....all that matters is effort and family and social support...and the emotional intelligence during this struggle......there is no differnce in white american or white russian or brown indian or black african....i have seen very intelligent people in all that i personally feel that there is virtually no difference.

Is academic excellence a great achievement...actually no..in present world....a smart manipulator can employ thousands of top academicians....so as per me the manipulator is more intelligent.... and america is presently targetting to produce more manipulators (or managers / enterpreneurs)...that may be the rule of the game to be number one world ..no one knows...but could be correct

June 6, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. Indo-Can

I am an Indian and I can't spell Engeneer... 🙁

June 6, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  13. niraj

As an Indian physician practing in US, I often here one positive comment from people that they find Indians very intelligent. I think there are intelligent and stupid people everywhere. Laws of probability does not change country to country. People who come here are highly selected ambitious group as it is not easy to come here. There are millions of morons back home just like here. Again moron for me might be intelligent for someone else. Regardless immigrants are more ambitious and insecure and therefore more likely to succed. Indian parents do pay more stress on studies than sports for example and therefore you would hardly see a Indian origin world champion in sports but you would find lot of successful business people and professionals. My opinion, people are same wherever you go, cultural practices makes us grow slightly differently. Lastly, even if this girl is Indian which she is not, why should I feel proud about her achievement. People just like to hide their own inadequacies by showing some association with a group of more adequate people. Rascism is one example of that. So what if Iam illetrate, I belong to a particular race' caste or socioeconomic group or so what I am from a poor country, I have ancient civilization behind me are just some examples.

June 6, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. Chris

Im from Ohio and my speeling sucks. LOL <------ Good Job "GO BUCKEYES"

June 6, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dan

Big deal she won the spelling bee. She's gonna grow up to be a tiger/elephant trainer anyway so..

June 6, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |