June 4th, 2010

Ohio teen wins National Spelling Bee with 'stromuhr'

Ohio teen Anamika Veeramani won the Scripps National Spelling Bee Friday night with the word stromuhr, an instrument for measuring the flow of viscous substances.

"I'm really, really happy. This is one of the best moments of my life," the 14-year-old said after the annual spell-off.

Anamika, of North Royalton, tied for fifth place last year. Her victory makes Ohio the state to produce the most spelling bee winners with 9.

The 83rd Scripps National Spelling Bee began Thursday with 273 spellers ranging in age from 8 to 15.

Friday's final rounds began with 10 contestants, who were eliminated one by one by words such as ochidore, a shore crab, and terribilita, a term applied typically to the art of Michelangelo describing the power and grandeur of his work.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. NYtiger

Congrats ! Anamika.

June 5, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kip

Great job, Anamika! Now go talk to Lebron & ask him to stay.

June 5, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mark

And Congrats to the Catholic school that educated her. YOu don't see winners of spelling bees coming from public schools do you.

June 5, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

From the official spelling bee website....

Five of the six most recent national champions were public school students.

June 5, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DavidReddy

How many more Indians will get promoted to be Managers and Directors in Information technology, if only we compromise to speak with American accent? A lot more. The blacks recognized racism everytime it happened but we Indians do not recognize it. Go back to India? How silly is it? Did caucasians leave my grand parents alone when they were living in India? Even if I am in India now, would the western world stop manipulating the currency so that everyone in the world make the same pay for same work with same skill? Many people in America become richer than the rest of Americans by being creative or working hard, that's the way it has to be. Not by manipulating currency, that an electrician in America lives richer than an electrical engineer in India.

June 5, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ragij

Congratulations, Anamika!!! Thank you for providing Indian-Americans with one more reason for being proud!!

June 5, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Wanda

To all the people saying the spelling bee is obsolete, don't worry. That day is coming. Read alot of texted messages lately, or blogs? Schoolboards all around the country will eventually get with the program. Oh, penmanship is out the door, too. Congrats to the young lady no matter what her ethnic background is.

June 5, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rit

Wow everyone needs to get over this, a girl from Ohio won the Spelling Bee. Why dwell on her race or descent? Does it matter? Aren't we all human, does it really matter anymore? Grow up, this is the 21st century.

June 5, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. angely

oooh congrats!!!! 😀

June 5, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Katerina

Being the Best Friend of Anamika, I know how hard she worked to prepare for the national spelling bee. I know how much she wanted to win. I, for one, am very proud of her. The spelling bee is real news because it showcases how smart our nation really could and should be if we put our minds to it. I thank all of the students who competed, for being excellent students and doing thier best, on behalf of Anamika. I know all of her and my fellow classmates enjoyed seeing you have your moments to shine. You have shown America what we are capable of. Once again I would like to congragulate Anamika. You are and forever will be my "bestest" friend and you will always have a special place in my heart. You did it!!!!!!

June 5, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Deejay

These comments are an eye opener – racism and prejudice is alive and kicking in this country – sad to see that. Its a few but they sure bring everyone down with their small minds. Why does her ethnicity matter. Please remember that every white person in this country is an immigrant from another country – you pushed out the natives who were not white. In fact they probably have more in common with the "Indians" from India that the whites would ever have....irrespective of that why does her race matter? She was born in this country and is an American. European (Polish, Czech,etc) names that a lot of white Americans are as hard to spell or pronounce so Tim of the small mind – please remember that. Also it has to be said that all the kids up there are from households where education is given pride of place not running after sports as your only hope and ignoring education or dropping out of school to become a model or celebrity – those parents need to rethink their strategy to bring up their kids...education is the only way to make people open minded to differences and this applies world over..Please remember that, oh petty minded people...I am an American of Indian descent (since that seems so important) and there was one constant in life – education....for US to remain #1 that is what is needed and seems to be missing now...For the genius with the robot comment, you clearly have no clue about education or how it works...I feel sorry for you.....

June 5, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • chand

you said it correctly!! thank you!!

June 5, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Shaashi

I am an Indian by Nationality and living in USA for a while. I had read pretty much all the posts above. It is unfortunate that some people tend to move the direction of the discussion from Anamika. First of all whoever it is (indian/american/mexican....etc), we need to wholeheartedly congratulate the winner and wish the best. Coming back to the discussion, the important question we need to ask ourselves is why a subset of population (in this case indian-american) is ruling the bee event and what can we learn from this population (good or bad). Let me reiterate this we should not look into this problem from the prism of race/ethnicity but from the prism of logic.

The following are my views:
    1. Someone/generation in the Indian american families came from India and the whole reason for that is they wanted good life for their children. That in itself means they had problems in their life back in India mostly it might be due to lack of opportunities (To all Indians please be aware of the fact that before PV Narasimha Rao there was not much in India, many people who are after that generation wont understand the problems back then). Either way they grew up with only one and only one aim: Education- no matter what PERIOD (this includes me too).
    2. These people instill the same motto in their next generation. Of course some of the kids take it to heart and some of them dont. However, very often most of them take it to the heart and study well. May be that might be the reason why you see there are many successful people like Dr. Sanjay Gupta (CNN)......Anamika
    3. What we can learn from this subset of population is to look at the way these parents support, motivate and make their children to study. I had read somewhere that Anamika on some days used to study for 16hrs. This means that there is a good chance that she was spending at least 8 hours a day studying something or other. All of us (irrespective of race/nationality) need to look into our own children and see how much time they are spending on texting, wii, TV. May be that is the answer for all the questions.
    4. Here is the bad part: Growing up my parents kick/beat/smacked (whatever you want to say) me more time than I could count/remember, just to make sure my focus was on education. What we lost is extra curricular activities which might have included sports and games. Looking back I wont feel bad that my parents did all that to me. I credit my success to their sincere struggle to uplift me and to the beating of course and I am sure many of you do feel the same way.
    5. In the end what matters is FOCUS. Not everyone can become a Leonardo da Vinci (he was an allrounder: painter, sculptor, architect, musician, scientist, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, geologist, cartographer, botanist and writer) but anyone and everyone can become a Dr. Gupta or Anamika with FOCUS

June 5, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikhil

Same here.. product of thrashing if I don't do my Homework or skip school. Didnt get a cellphone till i was 22. No partying till I was out of bachelors. I can perfectly feel the pulse. Americans need indians more then they need anyone. And whoever talks about childabuse in america, go take a hike.. If ur a parent and have no right to discipline ur kid by doing what it takes, dont have kids.

June 5, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John Morgan

They're not smarter. We're dumber.

June 5, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • DrRaj

well thats one way to look at it.

June 5, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bruno J. Navarro

So wonderful! A big congratulations!

June 5, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. krishna

Indians can memorize. Perhaps apply some logic. That does not make you smart. It is an acquired skill and anyone who puts in the effort can win and not be smart at all. I have seen thousands of so called accomplished Indians with advanced degrees. They just have degrees but are dumb as hell. Thats why India is poor because of all the educated idiots there and America is rich because of its un-educated clever people. Ask an Indian to kick a ball and see how far it goes.

June 5, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anu

Dude.. americans are not rich. Only 1% of America makes decent money. Many people here live on Welfare. Why is your name Indian? Are you also one of the millions of dumb Indians you just talked about?? Fool

June 5, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • krishna

Anu – I said America is rich. Not Americans. First learn to read before attempting to write. And if you think America is not the richest country in the world, you must be one of those millions of so called accomplished dumb indians that I was referring to. Yes I have an Indian name and I am very much an Indian. That doesn't mean I cannot criticize Indians. If I call you a fool and you take offence then you must verily be a fool. If you call me a fool I can only pity your ignorance.

June 5, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. NinetyRecruitsinNinetyDaysdotcom

Ever notice that it's always Asian or Indian kids that win spelling bees? Are American kids not smart enough to win these things?

June 5, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • DrRaj

do u mean to say that these kids are Americans. Or do u use Americans for only white kids????

June 5, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |