June 7th, 2010

White House correspondent Helen Thomas retires

Helen Thomas, middle, will retire effective immediately, her company said.

Veteran Washington reporter and columnist Helen Thomas announced Monday that she is retiring effective immediately, according to a statement from the Hearst Corporation.

Thomas's decision came days after her controversial statement that Jews should "get the hell out of Palestine."

"I deeply regret my comments I made last week regarding the Israelis and the Palestinians," Thomas said in a statement. "They do not reflect my heart-felt belief that peace will come to the Middle East only when all parties recognize the need for mutual respect and tolerance. May that day come soon.’’

Thomas under fire for saying Jews in Israel should go back to Germany, Poland

1. jaye

BLESS YOUR HEART HELEN! YOU HAVE MORE GUTS TO TELL THE TRUTH, THAN ANYONE ELSE! KEEP AT IT, YOU HAVE PEOPLE BRAVE AND HONEST ENOUGH TO AGREE WITH YOU!!!!

June 7, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • lalalalalala

Somehow the Jews have become the minority and the terrorists have become the majority. Funny how history repeats itself.

June 8, 2010 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. Brian

Helen Thomas is correct. Germany should have given the Nazi victims a homeland in Germany. The theft that happened in 1948 Palestine from the Palestinians. The Israelis are Germans, Poles, (i.e. M.Begin), Austrians etc. There was no holocaust in Palestine of any persons of the Jewish religion. Give them back their land.

June 7, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • SouzaK99

And the Palestinians are Egyptian, Jordanian, Arabian, etc... Palestinian isn't an ethnic race, it's a group of people who called Palestine home, no matter what their ethnicity was. Even Jews were Palestinians.

June 7, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Noeline Pfahler

Helen Thomas had the guts to tell the truth. Follow the story of ww2. the European jews made their way to Palestine and occupied it. The allies & Britain for an easy fix gave them land. Since then the "new" Jewish state has found enough is never enough and continues to occupy and steal more and more land from the Palestinians. My sympathy goes out Helen Thomas for having been so badly treated for telling the truth. It's not the first time the truth has been mouthed but the first time sometime from someone who would get noticed.

June 7, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mae patu

Thank you Helen for speaking the truth, I only wish you chose your words a little more carefully, but at 89 I guess you can do what you want. I'm embassased for my country for allowing Isreal to continue to dehumanize and conquere the Palestinian people. It now surely cements the idea that many in our government have been bought by the Isreali lobby. No wonder so many around the world hate the way our government does business. I protest some of my governments policies because I love my country, And the slaughter on the flotilla in international waters which our government I'm sure will poo poo makes me sick to my stomach.

June 7, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Donald

Helen Thomas is on the right track! For many years I have thought that a good solution to the Middle east problem would be to move the Jews out of there. I always thought that they should rebuild the state of Israel in Wyoming. Think of it. Their country would be completely surrounded by a friendly nation. They would no longer need an army. And they would more than double their size. Besides...what have the Wyoming citizens done with that place anyway? It could use some sprucing up!

June 7, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • SouzaK99

Thousands of years of their history is in Israel. Why the heck would they want to move their entire population to the U.S.?

June 7, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mathews

Good riddance, "Helen Thomas is outa here": http://www.tweethd.com/?content=1551

June 7, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Sadler

Mathews you are a cold SOB!! Helen Thomas is a true AMERICAN HEOR . You sound like a ZIONIST PIG! I have grate friends you are ISRAELIS who thank the way I do.AMERICANS are being taken over by THE ZIONST.Helen Thomas has more GUTS than you could ever dream of.GOD BLESS HELEN THOMAS.For you Mathews hell has a place waiting just for you.

June 7, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • lalalalalala

Amen

June 8, 2010 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. Anti-Israel, not anti-Semite

AIPAC strikes again! Forget the NRA, the Sierra Club, or AARP...AIPAC runs the show in DC.

June 7, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dale

Wonder if Helen wants all the White Euros to get the h e l l out of American and Canada. Or is it that since our forefathers massacred and marginalize the Indians all is now ok?

June 7, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dale

Wonder if Helen wants all the Turks (who masterminded the flotilla) out of Armenia. Oh forgot – they massacred them

June 7, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tajah7

If any one doubted that the media, political and America as a whole is controlled by yes(JEWS) this is it! A media icon Helen Thomas, did not have an affair, did not perform terrorist acts, or treason, did not cause a financial disaster like Madoff. What did she do? SPEAK HER MIND(the 1st amendment) free SPEECH!!! But she had the gall to speak candidly about the JEWS! We Red Blooded Americans should be in arms and come to her aid! What does this say about US? YOU COULD BE NEXT! Even questioning a Jewish point of view may in the very near future destroy your lives. We've been complacent for too long. Had Ms. Thomas spoke again the Pope, President Obama or God she'd still have her job. My God! Her agent abandoned her!!! The only thing missing was the Israeli goon squad, but I fear they aren't far behind. God Bless You Ms. Helen Thomas, and thank you for decades of honest reporting until the bitter end. You are a journalistic Hero!

June 7, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • lalalalalala

She retired, she got to say what she wanted to say before she retired. I have never even heard of her till this. She reminds of the lady who did the "wheres the beef" adds for Wendys. I think what she said is funny, because it shows her true ignorance. Yes, she has a right to say what she believes to be correct, and I have the right to laugh at her stupidity. I do not take her comments seriously, nor should anyone else. In the end, it doesn't matter:)

June 8, 2010 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. proud israeli

(first of all , i would like to apologize that my english is not so well : ))

thats it, iv'e had it! , you are oblivious and ignorant ! its 3 am ,but i just cant sleep, this is much more important- where should i start?
    im 30 years old and i lived in Jerusalem until i was 21. my parents came from morocco to israel when they were young in 1948, after the riots there- my grandfather had many fabric stores and they were all burned so all of my family came with nothing like many jews from other countries and they had to start all over again. when i was 16 years old i had the "honor" to see for the very first time a terrorist attack ( the second Intifada) – my two best friends were on that crowded bus to the art school and i remember that i ran to the bus because i was late and just like action or horror movie the bus exploded and collapsed in the air,there is no way i can explain the horrific scream sounds and smells i saw like body parts , a baby with no head – fun.. after one month , my neighbor was killed in our street by a terrorist with an ax , its a shame, she was a peace activist,only 22 years old. after 12!! 12 bombing attacks that i was saved from – and let me tell you – all of these attacks were in our streets ,night clubs and restaurants in tel aviv ,schools and bus stations- never near an army base or embassy or government office . after 3 friends and one family member that died , my parents decided to leave Jerusalem and move to ashkelon – great city , amazing beach – and thats when the real fun started – 3000 missile in 8 years fell into sderot -near city – its like neighborhood in america , only half an hour by car, and then few hundreds to ashkelon. im an animal activist and we had to save a lot of dogs and cats that was traumatized and ran from their homes, not to mention kids that urinate in the streets from fear , the younger kids who were 8 and less ,was less afraid because thay didnt know other situation. im telling you all this not because i want your mercy and im sure that the arabs suffered as well (im not calling them Palestinians because its not historically correct- if you will look the definition of Palestine – just open Wikipedia or any other history book , or the holly great bible- yes , the same bible you swear in courts , you will know what im talking about). back to my story – before the missile in ashkelon, i moved to tel aviv with my boyfriend, we heard two bombing attacks near where we lived – my precious cat was panicked and jumped from the roof and died..we moved to another area in tel aviv.. few month later our best friend had his birthday ,at that day i was on my way to work ,but before that i wanted to see the news-all of us watch the news every day ,sad habit..anyway i opened the tv and then i was confused because i thought they are showing a new action movie and a second later i started to scream to my boyfriend to see – it was real- yes the 9/11, i was shocked and couldn't and didnt want to belive its real -of course instead of celebrate our friends birthday,we went to light candles and pray for all america. im sorry but since i can remember we nursed american music ,art , culture ,tv shows- you are a greatest nation. the next day we saw on the news the crazy celebration in gaza -outrageous!!!, they were giving candy to the children and for them it was a festive day . i will never forget this day.. again this is my personal experiences and memories. and now for some facts – i dont hate arabs! even though im aloud to – i hate coward terrorists! i was in a friend wedding two weeks ago – she is arab, not from gaza ,from Jerusalem, we are a lot of things but we are not racist like a lot of you in america, we cannot allow our self's to be- we have immigrant that come to israel from all over the world and im so proud when i see all of us getting along and have mixed children – russians, Ethiopian ,Argentinian , south africans , you name it . and to call us racist is just hallucinatory. more facts for most of you who never been in israel or gaza and sitting in your comfortable bubble – America and Saudi Arabia and half of the world gave to the so called "Palestinian" – more then couple of billions of dollars – only in sharam el shich conference,in march 2009, minister of foreign affairs , mrs clinton , obligated to pass along with more then 80 countries – 4.4 billon dollars to the Palestinian authority ,bless them, its not the point – do you know where all the money is ? well ill tell you – in the hamas and other terrorist fanatics groups -where do you think they have so much ammunition? you dont belive me? just start digging – the truth is out there- and the Palestinian people? thay dont see a dime . all of their foundations – roads , water,sewerage – we built it! . do you remamber precious mess murdere yaser arraft? the same arrafat that our prime minister rabin and prime minister of america then, mr bill clinton ,sighned the "oslo agreements" in 1993? the same agreement that the Palestinian didnt honor eventually ? never mind about that – after yaser arrafat past away – his wife abandoned her own people and ran away to france with more then 300 million dollars – you can ask cbs network leslie stahl- she investigate that – again people- facts !. without the precious and "humanitarian" flotilla we saw last week , israel pass just last year ! – more then million tons of any supply you could dream of- oh and by the way fyi-hamas dont want to receive the merchandise that the sheeps left here- its stucked and dries in the sun – god knows why – i guarantee that they dont need it , but certainly you dont care about the facts – facts that has happend and still happening like the situation with turkey- it was our friend and favorate tourist site for israelis, oh and they forgot all the help we gave them during their earthquakes, until the new president of them , "dear" and "humanitarian" , mr arduan that just last night invited "dear" mr achmanijad, president of iran to start making plans of war towords israel and america- he talks with no shame of a "new world" – i wonder what that means – in iran they give death penalty to those who are gay and cuts arms or tungs to those who steal – real modern ... to some of you its another drama on tv and the easist thing for you is to blame us. for us its a nightmare. and please stop calling us Nazi's ,that all of you are so easelly saying- its like the horrible "N" word that you used to say to africans americans not so long ago. and if you think that they want peace ,you are tottaly wrong -iv'e set with arabs and they told me they will never accept and recognize two states- they want all of israel and all of jerusalem to them selfs- i personally would give them all of jerusalem if i'd thought it will bring peace. most of you think it dosent concern you , but let me make a statement and you can quote what im saying here- maybe not today, maybe in 10, 20 years from now( if iran wont nuce all of us by then), but in america you have so many terror nests, that its just a matter of time until they will want parts of your land, lets see how you will handle that.....

and as far as Helen Thomas concern – for what i know , she is not a native american like most of you arent, and im sure she dosent want to come back to Lebanon to wear veils and scarfs...true true journalist my ass.

June 8, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
    • sophiatesch

I am truly saddened to hear the many tragedies you have faced. I am really sorry that happened to you. Of course it is not easy to watch those who killed people you know and love to celebrate that fact. It is aweful. When I watched those celebrating after 9/11 I am different I know however I asked why they would be cheering? For all the horrors you have faced I imagine you can find someone almost your equal in experiences who has had the army of Israel do the same things and cause the same kind of pain and rage. That is why you all are stuck because that is true.

The problem becomes when we continue to take the horrors of the past and bring them into our present and future. Then it never ends. I dont' want to see the horrors continue into the future. Not here in America either. Humans seem to have a lot of Pride and no common sense. I don't want any more babies to die in the hand of violence this way. No one should have to feel that pain. Humans need to heal. They need to find a reason to get along not because anyone deserves to be forgiven only because without some sort of mutual understanding there can be no peace and happiness. Only fear, violence and hate. If only for the sole reason to not worry about getting blown up on the next bus people have to work with groups and lay down some of the hurt and hate to reach for a safer future. And that is not blowing someone else up and creating more fear and hate. Do you agree?

See I don't think anyone is a dog. I think we are all humans I think we all want to have a happy life and we want the people we love to be safe and to do the best we can. The best way to be safe is to find some way to work out your differences with your neighbor. I say the same here to people in my community in Arizona with the Native Tribes and the migrants from Mexico and South America. I dont' want to live in hate and fear. I refuse!!!! I know in my heart humans are capable of incredible things especially if we used our resources to cure poverty and disease instead of to kill one another. That's all I know. I wish more people agreed and I respect their wishes not to agree. I just wonder if life on the planet is sustainable if humans continue to destroy each other. At that point to humans even deserve the right to exist? I dont' know?

June 8, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Maude

Thank you for sharing.

Let nobody tell you that the past is not important. This is what igronant people say to minimize the various wrongs that were done.

June 8, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • proud israeli

please dear CNN , remove this massege, i've wrote a better and correct version of this post down here – thank's : )

June 10, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Alaa

Go to hell israel , Jews you deserve to die twice a day and not once as you are dogs and not humans.

June 8, 2010 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
    • lalalalalala

Hell, you know that is definately not going to happen. We may have to die twice, but it from the hands of Arabs and we certainly won't see you in the kingdom of heaven.

June 8, 2010 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
    • sophiatesch

All humans are humans. Why won't you all stop killing eachother. You all suck! So you are all going to heaven. Great! Everyone else is burining in Hell. Funny that is what you all say about each other. So interesting how you all claim to be chosen from God and yet you kill innocent people over a patch of land. I don't believe any of you who agree that that is ok knows anything about God. I don't care what your excuse is. The first rule is DON"T KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE!!!! you jerks. You are all jerks! Maybe they just need to put all extremists in the same place and let them all kill eachother the way they want to. Maybe the world would be a better place. Then those of us who want to live in peace can do so and those who want to kill and die as martyrs can leave the rest of us alone!!!!

June 8, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Maude

You sir are a hateful little rodent that needs to stepped on and left for the birds. I looked up you IP address. You are not a muslim so quit calling yourself "Alaa" . You are a fat middleaged, bald, divorced Christain.

June 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Alan

If we believe that Israel belongs to the Jewish people as they were there before anybody else then lets return California to the Mexican and the entire North American Continent to the Natives. They were here before anybody else. There are a few reasons that the state of Israel still stands. One being that America continuously provides financial support, military equipment and weapons and technology as well undying support to the regime. The second is that Islamic nations cannot be genuine to each other and support a common cause, PALESTINE. They have to ensure that the world hears them as a single voice and not as children bickering and scrambling for positions of power and throwing temper tantrums.

I do believe that most sane people want a safe two state solution. Compromise on Jerusalem and come to an understanding on how to resolve this issue without any bloody carnage. If they do not fix this problem in the next few years then the state of Israel is bound to be preoccupied with the building more walls and the further scorn of the international community. The United States will only go so far to defend Israel with the mess that US has created and is now mired in they will bow out of this fight when their kids are being killed in the name of Democracy.

Israel has to pick better leader than Benjamin "I am nothing but a yahoo". Its like putting george bush in charge of world peace or Nazis in charge of community building. Get a real gentleman or women who is willing to talk and listen and negotiate and put positive steps forward. This action itself will go along way and sooth a lot of tempers.

PEACE.

June 8, 2010 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
    • sophiatesch

I think it is a good idea to have civilians interested in peace work this out. Lord knows the leaders aren't going to do it.
      I hear what you are saying about America. I live here, in Arizona. I believe the same thing here. The change, real change to make things better comes from people working together to come up with solutions that are mutually repectful and that work! I just have to believe that humanity that has created so many wonderful things has got to find a way to share the Earth together. At this point I really don't care who gets into heaven. I am only interested in what we can do as members of our communities to get along here on Earth. How can we do that? What's it gonna take to get there? I am listening.

June 8, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. lalalalalala

WHERES THE BEEF!!!

June 8, 2010 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. lalalalalala

Blame Britian, it was there fault, those damn English!!!!

June 8, 2010 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |