June 8th, 2010

Holloway's mom urges prayers for Peru victim's family

Natalee Holloway disappeared in Aruba in 2005. Joran Van der Sloot was arrested twice, but never charged in the case.

The mother of Natalee Holloway on Tuesday urged her supporters to keep "in our hearts and in our prayers" the family of the woman that Joran van der Sloot is now accused of killing.

Beth Holloway made the remark at the opening of a resource center in Washington for the families of missing persons, a center that bears her daughter's name.

Van der Sloot was arrested twice in connection with Natalee Holloway's 2005 disappearance in Aruba but was released for lack of evidence. He denied any involvement and has not been charged in the Holloway case, but was arrested last week by authorities in Peru in connection with the killing of 21-year-old Stephany Flores Ramirez.

Dutch youth lives under shadow of Holloway case 5 years later

Post by:
Filed under: Joran van der Sloot • Natalee Holloway
  1. David

May these families find peace. I know what it is to lose a child.

June 8, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dawn Towers

To Natalee's mom, May God bless you always for staying so strong and for making something good from such a tragedy. May you always hold dear you precious memories of Natalee. I dont think i could be that strong. To the Flores family our thoughts and prayers are with you and your beautiful daughter may she forever rest in peace. As for Joran and his family may you never find peace a day in your lives. I know he is your family but what he did accident or not should have been told. Instead you and your government cover for him and now someone else has died at his hands!! You are terrible people all of those involved and I wish nothing but heartache to you all.

June 8, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beth Noir

Beautifullly stated. Thank you. God bless you, too.

June 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mel

I second all that. My heart goes out to the families of the victims. How terrible, but I am glad that now Joran the murderer will pay for what he's done, at least on some level. I hope his confession this morning reopens the Holloway case, and that both families will see justice served to the fullest extent of the law.

June 8, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • sylvia

Thank you, Dawn. Your comments are very appropriate! My prayers and deepest sympathies go out to Stephany's and Natalee's families. And to Mrs Van da Sloot (and your late husband Paul) & the Aruban authorities, you have blood on your hands – just as much as Joran has. If only Joran was jailed for life for murdering Natalee, another young girl need not have died in vain.

June 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • please

Prayer is a waste of time.

Pray that no one dies of hunger today. Or that we have world peace. Or that cancer doesn't kill millions this month.

But those things will continue. Why? Because GOD is a made-up joke.

June 8, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get REAL

@ please....this is not the place for athestic comments. Your hatred is rather unfounded – how can you hate something you don't believe in? And why choose this board to spew your garbage and hatred? This is about two innocents who were murdered, not about your views or beliefs.

June 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • please

Get Real...

My point is that until PEOPLE change the way they live their lives, the world will not.

We sit back and think prayer and God will just take care of the world, and when they don't, we claim it was part of the plan. It isn't garbage, or hatred...It is REALITY. Reality that we as a people must make changes, because our God in heaven will not.

June 8, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alisha

Paul what you said about Beth Holloway is a very heartless thing to say. You are a sorry excuse for a human being to be able to sit there and say the things that you just said about Beth. She lost her daughter, and to this day still does not know the actual truth or where her daughters body is. I can't believer you can sleep easy at night making comments and statements like you have just made. You are heartless!!!!!

June 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. john

i am going on a cruise that stops in aruba my wife and i will stay on the ship i will not spend 1 nickel in that country as far as i am concered their government had a hand in the murder of that girl in peru if they would have arrested that piece of garbage and sent him to jail that poor girl would be alive

June 8, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • please

Dude, really. If you are going to boycott every country that had a hand in the murder of someone, you'll be the richest man alive.

Does it make you feel better to say that you are going to boycott Aruba?

Seems like it's just a show to me.

June 8, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

umm..you will punish the people of Aruba for the mistakes of the government and police by not spending money there? I don't get that. How can you punish an entire island for the stupidity of a few. Thats like saying we Americans deserve to be bombed because of the mistakes of our own government. Doesn't make any sense!

June 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hoofleau

I really feel for the families involved . I'm glad van der Sloot is off the streets. I think CNN's writers used the word "kin". I'm from the south and this word is a very acceptable and loving term. Joecool is obviously an immature kid who needs guidance from his kin.

June 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. akm

He will finally pay for what he did.. His father is dead so he wont help him out this time, no hiding evidence or paying money to keep witnesses quiet. He is a monster– he needs to be locked up for 125 years or death penalty plus he still needs to explain what really happened to Natalie Holloway. He thought he is going to get out of this one too... What guess what You are busted big time!!!! serial killer!!! it makes me sick.

June 8, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Trish

First of all I want to say how deep my feelings go out to the parents of Natalee Holloway.I am the mother of a murdered child so I know what it is to live through the absolute hell of losing your child.I am also glad that you have help that would continue to stay with her case until resolution can be found.I`ll get to my point and please forgive me if I sound brash because that is not my intent at all.Here goes.Every since Natalee was first missing I have seen Natalee`s picture everywhere.The news dominated this story and has really never let up.This is good and essential to every missing/murdered child.I do live in the inner city of Los Angeles.Our children die everyday and night,unreported and not cared about by law enforcement.There is always gang warfare going on and they don`t just shoot gang members but innocent kids going about their daily lives with dreams and aspirations.Most young men who are killed are not gang members but innocents whom gang members have to kill in order to be recruited into a gang.I believe the police call it hunting.However what ever political or financial power that Ms.Holloway posseses could it not better to help promote awareness and fairness for all children that are murdered,not just hers,not just one.It really hurts mothers to see one so highly promoted and others cast to the side without anyone who cared enough to look for their killers.It`s nice to SAY you are sympathetic but will you go farther and actually help murdered children be vindicated?...A loving mom.

June 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • CodyDiders

Trish, I am sorry for your loss.

There are two reasons why Natalee's story has held up versus some of the unfortunate effects of inner-city violence:
      1. Natalee and her family were both white and rich.
      2. There is a horrible misconception that anyone dying due to gang warfare is somehow engaged in it.

As to number one – this is something I blame the media for focusing on. As for number two, Trish, I hope you are helping to educate others. It is only with awareness that we can focus on really combating violent crime.

Again, my condolences.

June 8, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mel

Trish, my heart goes out to you too. Such loss changes one forever.

June 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Honestly

Trish, I cannot fathom the loss you have endured. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

June 8, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Deb

I hope that van der Sloot is convicted, because it certain seems that he did it, and it will give the Holloway family some closure.

June 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jill

Also, kin is probably what would fit in the space allotted for the headline.

June 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. John Q.

I hope this guy spends a long time in prison as some con's "punk boy" for his crimes. Those that helped him in Aruba should get what's coming to them too. This innocent girl in Peru would be alive today if not for them... I hope they are sweating it out now waiting for the canary to sing...

June 8, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kenzer

Found this on Sky News (UK) sky.com...

"He was captured in Chile on Thursday, the same day he was charged in the US with trying to extort thousands of dollars from Miss Holloway's family in exchange for revealing the location of her body and describing how she died."

I hope this puts him away for good...

June 8, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. damiao

Hey guys life is go on, accident happen everyday around...http://www.englishtips-self-taught.blgospot.com change the subject I wanna invite you to visit my webblog and help to spread this idea overseas...thanks for your help advance.

June 8, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jeanne

BOYCOTT ARUBA.............

June 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

Jeanne, thats an ignorant statement. How can you punish the people of Aruba because of what a few did??

June 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • JER

Boycott yoursef

June 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • transport

You want to boycott Aruba? Better add all major US cities as well!

June 8, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Whitney

JOECOOOOL,
    IM FROM BAMA AND GOT "KIN" FOLKS!!! AS A MATTER A FACT, I GOT EM DOWN NER AND OVER YONDER! LOL
    GOTTA LOVE US SOUTHER BELLES! =D

ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE, I JORAN GETS WHAT HE DESERVES! I HAVE KEPT UP WITH NATALEE'S CASE SINCE DAY ONE!!! THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT HE IS GUILTY!!! THE HOLLOWAY FAMILY AND FLORES FAMILY ARE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS!!

June 8, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dork

LMAO at all the posts starting with Joecooool~ too funny at how many people need to loosen their undies out of their cracks when someone posts an ignorant comment~ move on man and get back to work! (as we ALL know you should be working instead of letting the undies getting so bunched up~ i mean, it MUST be uncomfortable, right?!) geez

June 8, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |