June 10th, 2010

Holder: 2,200 arrested, 74.1 tons seized in drug probe

Attorney General Eric Holder announced the arrest Thursday of more than 2,200 individuals on narcotics-related charges in the United States and the seizure of more than 74.1 tons of illegal drugs in a 22-month probe called Projective Deliverance.

Project Deliverance targeted the transportation infrastructure of Mexican drug trafficking organizations in the United States, especially along the Southwest border.

Post by:
Filed under: Justice
  1. berucem

I read about how effective prohibition work in the 20's and 30's. lol

June 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Paul

71 tons in 22 months?! That's a mere drop in the bucket to everything that got through undetected during that time frame. When will the people on Capitol Hill listen...LEGALIZE! There would be so many fewer deaths, so many fewer young black men in jail, and our country will collect billions upon billions in taxes from legalized sales. Isn't it about time we valued human life over some political agenda where alcohol is legal and nothing else is? THINK PEOPLE!!!

June 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jerome

Pot leads to harder drugs. Getting hooked is a drag, but you can overcome the addition. I'm not here to say shame on you. Just want to let you know that we have all been manipulated.

June 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • conoclast

'Pot leads to harder drugs'? Got some hard data to back up that "fact", do you?

June 10, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Upton

A. pot does not lead to harder drugs... and if your really think it does you may as well add in alcohol and cigarettes to leading to harder drugs too. (ridiculous)
      B. you cannot become addicted to pot

June 10, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Billy

No joke. Every time I take a toke, I get hungry. That's when I dig inside my head for a nice fried egg. It works every time. No munchies for me.

June 10, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Zenneth

The biggest problem we have as a country isn't related to the populace. It's the government trying to protect us from ourselves. I don't need a nanny to watch over me and tell me what I'm doing is wrong. There should be no one to tell me that I can or cannot do something with my own body, period. Land of the free my ass.

June 10, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. pacoder

That's great, so we won the War on Drugs now right?!??!

"it was just one battle in what is an ongoing war,” said Attorney General Eric Holder

Ooops guess not.

I find it funny how all of the people against saner drug laws are essentially saying they would rather have armed murderous illegals and vicious US street gangs murdering our citizens and law enforcement then some dude smoking weed or shooting heroin in his house. Think about that for a minute.

If anyone thinks this 'victory' is going to make even the *tiniest* difference they're sadly mistaken, but you already knew that.

June 10, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paul

Jerome...you are ignorant. Pot doesn't lead to anything except eating more ice cream. If you're predisposed to use harder drugs then you'll get there regardless if you puff a joint or have a beer first. Please study before you comment 🙂

June 10, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Johny10

Big deal! Those guys will come out the next day through a revolving door. You will see them on the streets again in no time. That's U.S., baby.

June 10, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. 1TonyMontana

I wonder if they'll have an auction....

June 10, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dave

With what we know today I wonder why we don't legalize. The black market is the gateway and if we eliminate the gateway we can have a real affect. Prohibition has been a repeated failure. I guess we must have shadow governments in the US that operate off these funds or this would be old news.

June 10, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bob

Lots of good ideas, feelings, solutions, opinions etc. Here's the reality of it all folks. The damage is done. It's all out of control. Things should have been done a long time ago. Deal with it folks.

June 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ac

I guess that by the end of the month it will 22,000 people trying to sell 741 tons of the stuff. It is a never ending on sight-same happened during the time where alcohol was prohibited in the USA.

June 10, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Iheartme.com

This so stupid to me. I am sure there are many unsolved murderes to catch. Why didnt they investigate that? Or arrest BP for diminishing our natural recourses. I am so sick of the priorities in this country. We are so busy trying to catch the bad guys, and not enough time rehabiliting them. Its like SOOOO arrest them, they are now felons, and now they really cant find jobs and we will be doing the same thing. It is insanity to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect the same results. Never see news like this in Canada.

June 10, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. electron sponge

2200 down, 13 million to go

June 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jerome

I'll reiterate that Pot can and will lead to harder drugs. I'm thankful to get out alive. Reverse psychology is when yes means no and no mean yes. Be cool and stay in school.

June 10, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yeahimright

Ignore me. I did drugs and lots of them so I know what I'm Hallucinating about. Err Umm OK....Jerome.

June 10, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • boocat

Bull!! I have been smoking pot for decades...never went on to anytbing harder. I am gainfully employed and healthy...stop making generalizations.

June 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • senorfrisk

I didn't know Nancy Reagan was internet saavy?

June 10, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Actually weed leads to harder drugs primarily because you were lied to about weed and then realized it was a lie, so you wondered if you were lied to about other drugs. I have tried many drugs but weed was the only one I ever did past my twenties. I just don't have any time for the other ones nor do I want to feel that out of control. But I know plenty of people who do weed and that's all and most of those people don't ven smoke cigarettes.

June 10, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Llibz

rAdam – please do your homework as the Dems started the War on Drugs – 1968 Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs is founded.
    The Johnson administration consolidates several drug agencies into the Justice Dept.'s Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs (BNDD). The move is intended to diminish turf wars between the various agencies, but tensions between the BNDD and Customs continue.

June 10, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |